Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Prog CD vendor down

Another Prog CD vendor down

Just noticed this announcement from long-time prog CD seller (and one-time label) Kinesis (http://kinesiscd.com/storeframe1.htm):

If you were wondering about the dearth of new releases on this site, and even if you weren’t, the time has come to pull the plug on this business. There were several reasons for this decision, but it was really only a question of when.

Kinesis began as a CD label in 1991, on the thrilling left side of this bar graph. The far right side of this graph has been considerably less gratifying.

There are a couple new titles still in the pipeline that should appear before May, otherwise we’ve halted new purchases. However, this site will remain in operation indefinitely as there’s a lot of inventory here. To do something about that, we’ve reduced the prices of hundreds of titles, on all pages of this site. In most cases, those now priced $9.99 or lower have SALE! next to them, so you can do an in-page search on “SALE!”. On the United States page, where CD prices tend to be lower to begin with, the vast majority of CDs are now $9.99 or below (and the SALE! tag is probably more annoying than useful). So to see the many sale titles, you’ll need to browse every page because every page has some. There are far too many to move to a single sale page. We may reduce a few more prices after the carpal tunnel pain subsides, but many titles are down to 1-2 copies and will not be restocked.

We’re also putting numerous one-copy-only CDs from the “Kinesis archives” up on the site as time permits. It’s slow work, but it means more titles will appear. They just won’t be on the main page because we can’t put a title there if only one copy is available.

His label was great - released the classic Ad Infinitum disc among others. Sad to see - I recall Larry always having a presence at NEARFests as well.
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 04-02-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Is Greg Walker still in business or did I miss something? Wanted to look for something today and noted his "latest releases" hadn't been updated since last August, his main catalog even older. I sent an email to him but (and he's usually very prompt) I haven't heard from him.

Hey, if he's just on holiday or something so hasn't gotten back to me, that's totally fine. I'm just worried that I missed something about his store.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Is Greg Walker still in business or did I miss something? Wanted to look for something today and noted his "latest releases" hadn't been updated since last August, his main catalog even older. I sent an email to him but (and he's usually very prompt) I haven't heard from him.

Hey, if he's just on holiday or something so hasn't gotten back to me, that's totally fine. I'm just worried that I missed something about his store.
    Syn-phonic is active. Email Greg again. Get on his email list so you get the bi-monthly update: progregwalker@sprynet.com

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Syn-phonic is active. Email Greg again. Get on his email list so you get the bi-monthly update: progregwalker@sprynet.com
    I haven't gotten one of those updates from him since last August. Hope all is well with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I haven't gotten one of those updates from him since last August. Hope all is well with him.
    Shoot, you guys are right! I'm going to see what's up.

I just ordered from Greg, everything seems fine, same fantastic and uber quick service.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I just ordered from Greg, everything seems fine, same fantastic and uber quick service.
    I would imagine so. I just talked to him in late February.

In an email dated 2/12/18, Greg told me his website was way out of date, (I tried to place a 5 CD order, and only one was in stock.) He cites the reason as his webmaster having major personal problems at the moment.

As for Kinesis, I wasn't a regular customer, but sad to see him go. One of the first of many, no doubt. I met him at Nearfest many times, and purchased LPs off of him. Cheerful and friendly, he seemed like an all-around good guy. It was a good run, hope he's doing alright.

Yes, Greg Walker is definitely still in business. He is bringing with him a special order for me at Rosfest during May 2018.

Library Jon

Over the years I've purchased quite a bit from Larry, but not so much recently (from anyone for that matter) so I'm sad to hear about this. Larry is a great guy and very interesting to talk to (he quit his career as (iirc) a nuclear engineer to pursue progness).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Was really sorry to read about this. When I first saw it yesterday, I had hoped it was a joke (given the date), but apparently not.

Been shopping from Kinesis since late 2006, and would check their page every couple weeks or so to keep up with new releases. This is a real downer.

I just like to sing the praises and send huge thanks to Larry/Kinesis. Larry introduced me to a prog world of glorious bands beyond the usual suspects, such as Castanarc, Pendragon, and Eloy to name a few, that I never knew existed.

Larry also gave us guys in Cathedral and Ad Infinitum the drive, support, and confidence to release our music to the world (well, at least a little part of it). I’m eternally grateful because without him, I never would of dreamed the dream and had the balls to ask Roger Dean to create our logo and allow us to use one of his beautiful pieces of artwork. In fact, back in 1977, while at Korvettes (the 70’s Long Island version of Target), i first gazed at the album cover to Fragile, read the atypical song titles like South Side of the Sky, Heart of the Sunrise, Long Distance Runaround, which changed my musical taste that has lasted for over 40 years.

Godspeed Larry/Kinesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    I just like to sing the praises and send huge thanks to Larry/Kinesis. Larry introduced me to a prog world of glorious bands beyond the usual suspects [...]
    Godspeed Larry/Kinesis.
    Totally agree with this. I heard a ton of music I might never have gotten to, were it not for Larry and the Kinesis store. I'll always be grateful for that.

These private retailers typically can have a quarter to a half million dollars tied up in stock and if sales slow down (as Larry shows in the excellent sales graph he has on his page) a person could end up with a lot of money tied up that you could invest else where (although you might want to hold off the stock market for a while...lol)

Very sad that Larry's closing up shop. He's been very good to me over the years.

Bad news...
    The Prog Corner

I hate to hear this too. Larry's always been supportive of my musical projects, and a nice guy. Best of luck to him in whatever's next!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

I admit I rarely ordered from Kinesis but this is still sad news to me. My personal tastes led me more to buy from Wayside & LE. But regardless I think this news suggests we must all be more careful in allocating our music dollars if we want to see the small web retailers stay in business. Specifically I used to browse Amazon a lot and it was so easy to click on something I liked and it would show up in my mail in 2 days. Real convenient...

About a year ago I realized I was buying about 1/3 of my music from Amazon, even though it didn't *seem* that way. I would place a few large orders with Wayside and LE every year, and the Amazon purchases were often quickie impulse buys of single discs. But it adds up.

I have started to seek out small retailers for everything I buy, musicwise anyway. I found Bull Moose for mainstream releases. Doug Larson carries most all Esoteric releases. Forced Exposure for modern indie and avant. Bandcamp for new band releases. In addition to Wayside and LE of course. I can probably find 95% of my music this way, with only an occasional purchase from Amazon Marketplace for something usually OOP that I can't find anywhere else.

Sorry to hear about Larry and Kinesis. I appreciated his helpful descriptions of cds on his site

Thankfully, Greg Walker is fine, I order regularly from him. As is Laser's Edge, who I also order from.

What do u mean another? It seems Ken, Steve and Greg all seem to be holding their own. Who else has folded???

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I'm not certain that Steve would say overall he's "holding his own", but I would most happily welcome correction from him.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Wow, just got an order from Larry last week.

I've made many purchases from Larry both at Rosfest and through his website. He had a very organized and descriptive narrative for his selections.

The world moves on and little pieces of me are left behind.

Thanks for keeping the business running as long as you did.

Larry is a cool guy. He was really supportive of my first Other Side release as well. I believe he had a steady day job and this was a side business for him. I will have to check out the site and see if there is anything I want on sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I also really miss Greg's updates, haven't gotten one in ages. Glad to here he's still up and running, but those updates were critical to knowing what he had that was new. The site really is out of date. I hope it gets straightened out, because I've gotten tons of great stuff from Greg over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Larry is a cool guy. He was really supportive of my first Other Side release as well. I believe he had a steady day job and this was a side business for him. I will have to check out the site and see if there is anything I want on sale!
    Larry was also very supportive of the two Eccentric Orbit CDs. I'm sorry to see him go, but not really surprised. I wish him all the best!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I've had at least two new arrivals e-mails since august, but you're right, they were never added on the site ;..

But I don't think he's nearly as quick on the ball as he used to either some years ago

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    In an email dated 2/12/18, Greg told me his website was way out of date, (I tried to place a 5 CD order, and only one was in stock.) He cites the reason as his webmaster having major personal problems at the moment.

As for Kinesis, I wasn't a regular customer, but sad to see him go. One of the first of many, no doubt. I met him at Nearfest many times, and purchased LPs off of him. Cheerful and friendly, he seemed like an all-around good guy. It was a good run, hope he's doing alright.
    Mmmhhh!!! I guessed it was to do with his site, since the newsletter is still arriving, but hardly twice a month... more like every 5 months or so.

As for Kinesis, never used him, but I remember checking out his catalog.... But like most US vendors (except for Greg), the Cross-Atlantic postage prices are a near-fatal drawback (did an exception for Ken with the latest Agusa).

I don't know (well, I do have an idea actually) how Greg does to soften the transport costs so much. It involves partly getting rid of the jewel cases (weight issues) and the intention declaration for the customs, I think)

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    What do u mean another? It seems Ken, Steve and Greg all seem to be holding their own. Who else has folded???
    Doug Larson... ordered some about 10 years ago, and there are still links on ProgArchives, but I haven't clicked on it.
    Last edited by Trane; 04-04-2018 at 03:41 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.