Thread: AAJ Review: Steve Khan, Public Access / Headline / Crossings

AAJ Review: Steve Khan, Public Access / Headline / Crossings

My review of Steve Khan's Public Access / Headline / Crossings, today at All About Jazz.

It's been a great couple of years for Steve Khan fans who are (relatively) new to the guitarist's work, especially his early releases, thanks to UK-based BGO Records. First, his '70s-era trio of fusion-centric LPs on Columbia Records, 1977's Tightrope, 1978's The Blue Man and 1979's Arrows, were remastered and reissued in a 2015 two-CD set, Tightrope / The Blue Man / Arrows. As fine as those records are, however, BGO's 2016 reissue of Khan's early '80s triptych, which has come to be known as The Eyewitness Trilogy, represents some of the real gold in Khan's discography. With the three albums collected into this remastered double-disc release--Eyewitness (Antilles, 1981), the live Modern Times (Passport, 1982) and Casa Loco (Antilles, 1983)--Khan introduced a major paradigm shift in his entire musical approach that continues to inform his music to this day.

2018's Public Access / Headline / Crossings picks up the Eyewitness story six years later and is another collection of mined gems. The two-CD set collects (almost) two full albums, plus half of another that was originally split between Eyewitness and an acoustic trio. One track from the groove-heavy Public Access (GRP, 1989), which occupies most of the first CD, is unfortunately omitted due to time restrictions since the first disc of this current set already clocks in at 77 minutes, and the second at 79. As beautiful as Eyewitness' rendition of "Dedicated to You" is--and despite its significance as the first song Khan ever included on one of his albums that was co-written by his renowned father, Sammy Cahn--in keeping with the rest of Public Access' focus on original material, it was the logical choice to drop.

The three Eyewitness tracks from Headline (Polydor/Mesa/Blue Moon, 1992) are split over the two CDs--and this time, again due to time restrictions, are not presented in their original running order. Headline, as a whole, continued another major shift that Khan introduced on Let's Call This (Mesa/Blue Moon, 1991): beyond working with an all-acoustic trio (Ron Carter and Al Foster, who return for Headline's other half), original material was kept to a minimum. Instead, Khan turned to a career as an astute and individual interpreter of Great American Songbook standards and jazz covers from composers like Ornette Coleman, Wayne Shorter, Joe Henderson and Thelonious Monk that continues to this day, with the sole exception of the more predominantly Khan-penned Parting Shot (Tone Center, 2011).

Continue reading here...
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I love these BGO muti-album re-issues, but I'll probably skip the new Khan. I already have Public Access, and Headline. I bought the re-issue of his first three albums because I hadn't listened to that stuff in over 30 years. I'm waiting for the Don Ellis Autumn/Shock Treatment due out on the 30th.

Some of my all-time most loved stuff. The first three Eyewitness albums--through Casa Loco--are genius.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I love these BGO muti-album re-issues, but I'll probably skip the new Khan. I already have Public Access, and Headline. I bought the re-issue of his first three albums because I hadn't listened to that stuff in over 30 years. I'm waiting for the Don Ellis Autumn/Shock Treatment due out on the 30th.
    Well, as I mention in the review, Public Access does get a slight remastering push on the bottom end (the only one of the three to be remastered, in fact, since Steve was totally happy with the existing masters of the other two), so Jackson's contrabass is deeper and punchier. But if you don't get this, then scout out, if you can for a decent price, Crossings, as it's a superlative record.
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Some of my all-time most loved stuff. The first three Eyewitness albums--through Casa Loco--are genius.
    Indeed!!
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Indeed!!
    Back before the first compilation was released, I got in touch with Steve and he kindly burned me copies of the first two and sent them to me, signed. Mr. Khan is a gem. I have the originals for this new compilation---and all his stuff, actually. Saw him with Weather Update, too, but sadly never got to see Eyewitness live. Maybe they'll do it again, if Anthony and crew are up for it....that would be great!

Nice review! Thanks a lot
    This year I want to participate in tour of britain 2018 races. This is a really great opportnity for me. I hope everything will great

Quote Originally Posted by rosewalker View Post
    Nice review! Thanks a lot
    Thanks for reading it!
    John Kelman

Back before the first compilation was released, I got in touch with Steve and he kindly burned me copies of the first two and sent them to me, signed. Mr. Khan is a gem. I have the originals for this new compilation---and all his stuff, actually. Saw him with Weather Update, too, but sadly never got to see Eyewitness live. Maybe they'll do it again, if Anthony and crew are up for it....that would be great!
    Steve is GREAT that way. My copy of Evidence got somehow damaged so he sent me a burn of it...and when I'm reviewing any of his past and present releases, he always makes sure I get the music with plenty of time to absorb it before i put virtual pen to paper. That's far from always the case, and I really appreciate it.

I also have all the originals, but the light remastering on Public Access, to bring up the bass, makes an already great album even better!
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Steve is GREAT that way. My copy of Evidence got somehow damaged so he sent me a burn of it...and when I'm reviewing any of his past and present releases, he always makes sure I get the music with plenty of time to absorb it before i put virtual pen to paper. That's far from always the case, and I really appreciate it.

I also have all the originals, but the light remastering on Public Access, to bring up the bass, makes an already great album even better!
    Sounds like I need the remasters, then!

Sounds like I need the remasters, then!
    Well, only Public Access has been remastered...the others are the same as the original CD release because Steve felt they were fine as-as. But even if only for the added oomph with Public Access, yeah, I'd say you need the set!
    John Kelman