Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brian Jonestown Massacre: where to start?

Well chalk this up to the WTF irony department. I ordered real printed tickets for the Brian Jonestown Massacre show in my area for mid May (I like real tix, souvenir of the show etc). I get the tickets in the mail from "Etix", open them up, and do a double take on what's printed on them. The tix say "Brian Jamestown Massacre". I thought, this has to be an April Fool's joke or something(given how this thread was originally worded ). I check the venue's website to see if they are somehow billing the show wrong, and no, its properly listed there as the Brian Jonestown Massacre. I check the band's website listing the tour--"Brian Jonestown Massacre". I check the tix again, and they both clearly say "Brian Jamestown Massacre" on the tix themselves, but I notice the printed receipt with the tix properly says "Brian Jonestown Massacre". How bizarre and ironic, lol. I assume I will get in ok, but maybe I will contact Etix to let them know they somehow screwed up the band's name on the tix.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-10-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Perhaps Mythos works for eTix?

My wife is a fan of The Dandy Warhols, so we watched that documentary.
    I haven't check out much of BJM, but perhaps I will due to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Well chalk this up to the WTF irony department. I ordered real printed tickets for the Brian Jonestown Massacre show in my area for mid May (I like real tix, souvenir of the show etc). I get the tickets in the mail from "Etix", open them up, and do a double take on what's printed on them. The tix say "Brian Jamestown Massacre". I thought, this has to be an April Fool's joke or something(given how this thread was originally worded ). I check the venue's website to see if they are somehow billing the show wrong, and no, its properly listed there as the Brian Jonestown Massacre. I check the band's website listing the tour--"Brian Jonestown Massacre". I check the tix again, and they both clearly say "Brian Jamestown Massacre" on the tix themselves, but I notice the printed receipt with the tix properly says "Brian Jonestown Massacre". How bizarre and ironic, lol. I assume I will get in ok, but maybe I will contact Etix to let them know they somehow screwed up the band's name on the tix.
    LOL, I think it is just some weird subliminal thing and obviously I suffered from it the same way the ticket agency guy did...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Perhaps Mythos works for eTix?

My wife is a fan of The Dandy Warhols, so we watched that documentary.
    I haven't check out much of BJM, but perhaps I will due to this thread.
    LOL, nope, I can't tell you who I work for or even what I do, but YOU pay my salary....

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    LOL, nope, I can't tell you who I work for or even what I do, but YOU pay my salary....
    If that's the case you must live in a cardboard box then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I hope you haven't been in Russia in the last few years....

I have to admit, when I saw the tix, like stated above, the first thing I thought of is "does this Mythos work for Etix?" lol.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-13-2018 at 11:51 AM.

I don't see anyone commenting on seeing the Brian Jones(James)town Massacre on their current tour, so I don't know if anyone is reading this thread, but what the heck, I saw them Tuesday night for the first time ever (only $22!) at a pretty cool local club venue I have been to many times. This continues my 2018 "First time seeing this band live" run of shows this year (Marillion, Dixie Dregs, Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul, BJ Massacre--how's that for an eclectic smattering of rock and roll). The show was pretty much sold out in a fairly large club(on a Tues night), and unfortunately an all standing room venue, so killer on the ol knees. Have only the double cd Peppermint compilation, so knew it would be some tasty psych/garage rock retro guitar rock, and it definitely was.

The band comes out and immediately asks that the lights on the stage be turned way down, so all that was on were some red dim lights on stage. I don't know if that's what they always do, or they just didn't like the way this venue stage was lit, but it made it somewhat difficult to really see the details of the playing as they were almost in darkness, lol. Almost all of them had sunglasses on throughout the show, even though the lights were almost off, giving it a definite late 60s vibe. The two main guitarists, one of whom was the band leader and founder Newcombe, were huddled way over to the left side, and I don't think it was Newcombe who was even singing all the vocals or doing most of the inbetween stage banter. At times there were 4 guitarists going. The music was definitely melodically cool, heavy guitar assaults at times, kind of a shoegazer vibe. In addition to 60s rock there were clear My Bloody Valentine and Galaxie 500 influences. The songs got a bit samey as the night wore on, but that may be that I am still learning their vast discography. I was surprised at how young the audience was, considering this is a band that has been around since the early 90s, but shows the popularity of "retro rock" maybe. Most of the crowd probably in their 30s-40s with a fair amount of 20 somethings--I was among the oldest there.They played nonstop for over 2 hours. They only sold LPs at the merch table (and shirts), no cds. A somewhat strange concert but very glad I got to see this band which doesn't often tour in the US (Newcombe lives in Berlin now).

Here is the setlist, assuming Setlist fm is correct (SPOILER ALERT):

Setlist

We Never Had a Chance

Whatever Happened to Them?

Hold That Thought

Forgotten Graves

When Jokers Attack

Sailor

The Devil May Care

A Word

Who Dreams of Cats?

Pish

Who?

That Girl Suicide

Geezers

Telegram

Drained

What Can I Say?

Prozac

Wisdom

Nevertheless

Anenome

Servo

Yeah Yeah
    Last edited by DocProgger; 05-17-2018 at 07:32 PM.