Thread: Rachel Flowers and Carl Palmer

Rachel Flowers and Carl Palmer

29512346_10209167048893351_4957814608441029186_n.jpg
    -with Simon Fitzpatrick, Paul Bielatowicz, Rachel Flowers and Carl Palmer.

It finally happened, everyone. Rachel got to meet Carl Palmer. More pictures coming soon. Thank you so much to Paul Bielatowicz for making this happen.

Thank you J Michelle Sample for the photo.

Now if they can just line up a singing bass player...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

That is cool, it was announced that they don't do after the show photos when i caught them a few nights ago, (guessing they would have made an exception for Rachel). Haven't seen a post on the current tour... they exceeded expectations in a big way, the guitar work seemed to give several pieces more bite than the ELP versions, (i never heard Tarkus burn like that). I know Palmer gets accused of being overly stiff and mechanical and rushing things, didn't appear to be a problem at this show and his solo during Fanfare sounded fantastic. He obviously is a good listener w/ amazing motor skills and a good understanding of contrast, every part of the kit sounded really clear. Couldn't help thinking that it would have been nice if Bozzio's show at the same club a few months earlier sounded this good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    That is cool, it was announced that they don't do after the show photos when i caught them a few nights ago, (guessing they would have made an exception for Rachel).
    This was taken during the sound check before the show.

Rachel deflowered by Carl Palmer!?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Carl should hire her.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Carl should hire her.
    That's what I'd like to see.

I think it's safe to say Rachel Flowers is more than an ELP fan. It's more like Rachel Flowers probably knows the entire repertoire inside out, from all three musicians perspectives. I'd love to see her, Carl Palmer and the bass player/vocalist of their choice do a killer ELP show.

Carl should hire her.
    Wouldn't be surprised if the addition of another player ended up reducing the space between players and the impact of the guitar work during shows. I don' think i'm alone in thinking that the attack of Bielatowicz's guitar gives the material a raw expressive quality that really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    That is cool, it was announced that they don't do after the show photos when i caught them a few nights ago, (guessing they would have made an exception for Rachel).
    I was in the first show of this tour leg in Portland where he signed items and pictures were allowed. The show was fantastic. Yeah, Rachel should play with these guys.

I caught them in Scottsdale, AZ. We sat at the side of the stage and our view of Carl's playing was fantastic, but the sound wasn't that great. As mentioned above, a vocalist would have been a big plus, but the three of them did a very creditable job on the material.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Marc Bonilla, Rachel Flowers, Carl Palmer... ? Hmm.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Marc Bonilla, Rachel Flowers, Carl Palmer... ? Hmm.
    That was my first thought. But Bielatowicz is fantastic, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    I caught them in Scottsdale, AZ. We sat at the side of the stage and our view of Carl's playing was fantastic, but the sound wasn't that great. As mentioned above, a vocalist would have been a big plus, but the three of them did a very creditable job on the material.
    If you're dreaming, Rachel has a superb voice (just another instrument in her staggering arsenal).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That was my first thought. But Bielatowicz is fantastic, too.
    Totally agree. He must be included, too.
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Totally agree. He must be included, too.
    Hopefully this might me the inspiration for new music.

Good to see that Ms. Flowers made the connection.

I caught the show in Redwood City, CA about 10 days ago. Small venue. Very good sound. Simon and Paul were insanely good and were willing to chat with us after the gig. (Does anyone have more fun on stage than Paul? He made my old college roomie laugh hysterically when he goofed about when casually playing crazy-difficult lines with aplomb.) And Carl...my goodness...no one should be able to play that well.

I get tired of all the smack talk about his supposed deficiencies. I was beyond impressed. Memories of 1977 and 1978 came flooding back. And what a nice guy. So willing to engage the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Good to see that Ms. Flowers made the connection.

I caught the show in Redwood City, CA about 10 days ago. Small venue. Very good sound. Simon and Paul were insanely good and were willing to chat with us after the gig. (Does anyone have more fun on stage than Paul? He made my old college roomie laugh hysterically when he goofed about when casually playing crazy-difficult lines with aplomb.) And Carl...my goodness...no one should be able to play that well.

I get tired of all the smack talk about his supposed deficiencies. I was beyond impressed. Memories of 1977 and 1978 came flooding back. And what a nice guy. So willing to engage the fans.
    I love these guys. Seen them 7 or 8 times over the last 10 years or so. The music comes to life. I just wish they'd collaborate on something new but I don't have a sense that it would ever happen.