Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yes- The Word Is Live

Very cool, but I'd still rather have an official release that I can fondle and fetish and call my very own.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The eons are closing
    My faves from my collection

- Meriwether Pavilion CTTE tour (yesstorms)

- Long Beach '77

- Quebec '79
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Where did the source come from for Ritual on the concert vault recording? There is a fairly good audience recording of it available which I spliced in to make it complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Ugh,that's a shame. I'd welcome a release of that King Biscuit Boston '74 recording mentioned above, although again one would hope 'Ritual' is around somewhere.
    Well, the Kign Biscuit people actually were releasing their shows back in the 90's, I forget how many they put out, but I remember seeing releases for shows they did with Deep Purple, ELP, GTR, Triumph, and a bunch of others. So I imagine if it was going to come out as a CD, that would have been the time to do it.

I know it has been said they are lost but the remainder of the concerts recorded with bruford for yessongs would be nice, to be over, release release arriving ufo silent wings of freedom. the remainder of the drama songs and then I suppose whatever 90125/big generator era tracks have not been represented.

although actually what might be ideal is to focus on the era after big generator so it really is a continuation and we can see some of the 90s tunes that are less represented all the talk stuff being the major hole in the yes live catalog. open your eyes and form the balcony have not been officially released live either have they? whatever ladder tour tracks didn't make it to house of blues, masterworks tour fly from here the few heaven and earth tracks played live.

Technically I suppose the 9012Live video/DVD material has never been on CD, that could be included. But I must admit I'm not that interested in the Rabin era live...I certainly like 90125 but it seems much more of a 'better in the studio' deal than their earlier albums. Might be just me!

The 90s/00s period- well, The Word Is Live never went there, I'm guessing because none of the new albums in those decades were on Atlantic.

Technically I suppose the 9012Live video/DVD material has never been on CD, that could be included. But I must admit I'm not that interested in the Rabin era live...I certainly like 90125 but it seems much more of a 'better in the studio' deal than their earlier albums. Might be just me!
    They should put out something that has the full setlist, not just what was on 9012Live. I'd kinda like to see the Dortmund show get released, since that was a radio broadcast at the time (there's also video of at least part of that show in existence, it was shown on German TV at the time). I'd definitely like to see something that has Hearts or City Of Love on it.

I'd also like to see something from the Big Generator tour released. I have a good VHS bootleg of the Philly show, which was professionally shot, where they do a great Shoot High Aim Low. But they'd have to leave out Wurm (which was played on it's own, sans the first 2/3's of Starship Trooper), as Tony Kaye's Yamaha KX MIDI keyboard went wonky during the solo. Besides, it sounds weird with them just launching into it without the rest of the song preceding it.

I know they filmed at least two shows on the Union tour, one in Denver, and the other was toward the end of the tour, when they had ditched the "in the round" stage and was performing on a conventional theater style stage. If I remember correctly, the latter was released on DVD or Laserdisc in Japan. The Denver show, was excerpted on the Yesyears documentary, and a couple songs (three to be exact, Owner Of A Lonely Heart, Lift Me Up, and Shock To THe System) aired on ABC's revived In Concert program (with Al DiMeola sort of not doing a very good job of introducing the segment). Portions of the Denver show was also aired, I think, on TV, somewhere, as I have a bootleg VHS that has a bunch of songs from that show, with a sort of title sequence identifying the program as "Around The World In 80 Dates", I think.

Another thing I'd like to hear, though maybe it's not good enough to use on an official release, is the version of Close To The Edge that was played on the Union tour. I forget which show it was, I think maybe Lake Placid? But they only did the one time, and it is said to be the only time that Squire, Anderson, Howe, Wakeman and Bruford ever played Close To The Edge onstage (of course, the Close To The Edge tour was White's initiation into the band, and Bruford otherwise only played it on the ABWH tour, sans Squire).

The 90s/00s period- well, The Word Is Live never went there, I'm guessing because none of the new albums in those decades were on Atlantic.
    Or maybe because the producers of the boxset knew that going past the initial Rabin years was reaching beyond what is generally considered the "classic" era. Given that the In A Word boxset included ABWH and Union material, I would think they could have included stuff from the post-Atlantic era The Word Is Live.

I remember when Yesyears came out, I thought it was funny that the boxset liner notes alluded to the Union debacle, though no material from Union is included (I think it's implied that the Union deal was coming together as the liner notes were going to press, so there probably would haven't been time to include anything from Union, even if it had been an Atlantic release). And of course, the interview footage and much of the live performance footage on the Yesyears documentary comes from the Union era.

ANd that reminds me, I want a DVD of the complete Yesyears outtakes. There used to be a guy on Prodigy, who had a bunch of that stuff, that he passed around on VHS for awhile. He supplied me with a tape that had a bunch of very funny outtakes with Wakeman demonstrating his comedic abilities(Tony Kaye also showing he's got a quick wit too), as well as Bruford saying that he's not as enamored with Yes music as the fans are, implying that he saves that adulation for his jazz record collection. There's also a bit of Rabin showing off his effects rack, which is kinda funny because like most of the band's gear on those tours, it was hidden under the stage, and there's this moment where the camera man has to sort of squeeze into this tight space to get a shot of the rack, as Trevor explains what each unit does. Then they go onstage and he shows off his Bob Bradshaw effects switching pedalboard (apparently replacing the big Pete Cornish pedalboard he used during the 90125 era).

Apparently, this guy, I think his name was Stan something, apparently had a ton of that stuff, but he disappeared before I could get more from him (rumor had it, his wife issued him an ultimatum). He's the guy I got the Philadelphia videos from 79 (several years before the official DVD release) and 87 and a few other bits and pieces, like the Belgian TV special circa Time And A Word (with the band miming several songs from the album, with Howe already in place as guitarist, with several linking bits of the band, including a great segment where Chris Squire talks at rapid fire pace for about a minute, as if he's on speed or not, and Bruford failing to do the same, muttering only, "Uhhhhherrrr, I think you're gonna have to cut" and that very strange video for that Stephen Stills song, with the band being chased by a nun), and a couple short clips from whichever South American show on the Talk tour that was shown on TV down there.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Another thing I'd like to hear, though maybe it's not good enough to use on an official release, is the version of Close To The Edge that was played on the Union tour. I forget which show it was, I think maybe Lake Placid? But they only did the one time, and it is said to be the only time that Squire, Anderson, Howe, Wakeman and Bruford ever played Close To The Edge onstage (of course, the Close To The Edge tour was White's initiation into the band, and Bruford otherwise only played it on the ABWH tour, sans Squire).
    There is probably a good reason it has not seen the light of day..Squire was not in the best state on that tour, and Howe was starting to adopt that plinky tone around then.

GuitarGeek : Most, if not all, of the clips you're mentioning are out there on YouTube. I do remember seeing everything that you mention.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Re: The Union tour: The entire first show from Pensacola is on YT in pretty good quality. I believe it was the only show, or one of the only shows that they played City Of Love and Starship Trooper on that tour.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    New Haven '71.
    +100

I'm not sure why Yes hasn't "milked the cow" with complete live recordings, but I bet it has something to do management, record labels and copyright owners ...sigh.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    +100

I'm not sure why Yes hasn't "milked the cow" with complete live recordings, but I bet it has something to do management, record labels and copyright owners ...sigh.
    I'm a bit surprised it took so long for someone to chime in on that one. Someone remastered the boot and, IMO, it's ready for release.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Re: The Union tour: The entire first show from Pensacola is on YT in pretty good quality. I believe it was the only show, or one of the only shows that they played City Of Love and Starship Trooper on that tour.
    Pensacola also got an official DVD release (the same boot version you mention) as a bonus disc from the deluxe Union Tour live package. I think it went OOP quickly. Great show. High adrenalin and fast tempos--almost too much! But in front of 20K giddy fans what are you gonna do? Slow down?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Pensacola also got an official DVD release (the same boot version you mention) as a bonus disc from the deluxe Union Tour live package. I think it went OOP quickly. Great show. High adrenalin and fast tempos--almost too much! But in front of 20K giddy fans what are you gonna do? Slow down?
    Yeah, that 4-disc version of Union Live is hard to find now. Been on my Discogs want list for ages but only appears sporadically for huge sums. I'd like it, but not enough to spend 200 bucks on it. I remember it was roughly 40-50 bucks at the time of release and I passed at the time. Oops.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yeah, that 4-disc version of Union Live is hard to find now. Been on my Discogs want list for ages but only appears sporadically for huge sums. I'd like it, but not enough to spend 200 bucks on it. I remember it was roughly 40-50 bucks at the time of release and I passed at the time. Oops.
    same here. big regret of mine.

I remember when Yesyears came out, I thought it was funny that the boxset liner notes alluded to the Union debacle, though no material from Union is included
    True, but I think Love Conquers All was from the same sessions that produced the YesWest Union material, weren't it?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    True, but I think Love Conquers All was from the same sessions that produced the YesWest Union material, weren't it?
    Correct; it's Squire/Rabin/White/Kaye/Sherwood from 1991 without any of the ABWH contingent.

There weren't any unified YesWest sessions for Union - each of the 4 tracks seems to have originated in separate circumstances. "The More We Live" was a Squire/Sherwood collaboration ("Love Conquers All" being another, with a Rabin vocal added to make it more Yes) with added Anderson vocals, probably some Alan White drums, but likely no Rabin or Kaye. Another track ("Saving My Life" ?) was supposedly a demo with minimal additions. One or both of the other tracks (I would suppose "The Miracle Of Life", being the only one with some recognisable Tony Kaye in it) was/were rush-recorded in early 1991 when YesWest material was urgently needed to complete what would become the "Union" album.

[Update: Sorry, got the title for "Saving My Heart" wrong, but the "?" was actually about whether it was this song that was a re-worked demo, or another.]
    Last edited by calyx; 03-28-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Another track ("Saving My Life" ?)
    "Saving My Heart" - or as I always preferred to think of it, "Shaving My Parts."

I remember thinking that was a pretty sad song to end the boxset with. \
    Yeah, that 4-disc version of Union Live is hard to find now.
    I didn't know any such thing had been released. When did it come out?

I didn't know any such thing had been released. When did it come out?
    2011. It was a limited edition set with the Shoreline show on 2 CDs and a DVD, as well as the Pensacola and Denver shows on two more DVDs plus some extra audio tracks from other shows. I was stupid to pass on it at the time.

2011. It was a limited edition set with the Shoreline show on 2 CDs and a DVD, as well as the Pensacola and Denver shows on two more DVDs plus some extra audio tracks from other shows. I was stupid to pass on it at the time.
    I cheaped out and got the cheap version that just had the one show and 2 CDs. No idea why, in retrospect.

Speaking of the Cobo show/Yesshows - who is doing the yelping during the Ritual drum/synth solo?

Well, the sound on it wasn't very good. I have a tape from the TV show that sounds much better than the DVD does. Same footage, same show, but the mix sounds like it came from one of the guys' monitor mixes...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.