Thread: New Sonar + David Torn interview on Innerviews + Documentary Series

New Sonar + David Torn interview on Innerviews + Documentary Series

Hey everyone,

There's a new interview with Sonar and David Torn discussing their new album Vortex on their fantastic new label RareNoise (due March 30th).

The interview is with both Stephan Thelen of Sonar (founder, guitarist, composer) and David.

Lots of creative process stuff and unexpected things that happened during the sessions. It really was one of those recordings that don't happen that much anymore -- all five people locked together in a high-end studio for a week, and capturing the fire and magic that occurred.

The Innerviews piece, with brand new interviews is here: http://www.innerviews.org/inner/sonar-with-david-torn

The video documentary series we shot in Zurich during the sessions is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRT...27ZerdCLiTYkYQ (The first four parts are out, including David's interview. Hang on to the very end for a Marvel-like postscript ;-) ).

I guess this could seem like an "ad" but that would only be true if I received a single penny for anything I did. ;-)

A labor of love for all involved.

How's the album?

Great interviews, both video and written. Really looking forward to this. Will this be distributed by anyone stateside? If not, perfectly happy to order direct from Rare Noise.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Will this be distributed by anyone stateside? If not, perfectly happy to order direct from Rare Noise.
    Their fantastic old label's mail order operation will have them in stock next Wednesday or so.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Their fantastic old label's mail order operation will have them in stock next Wednesday or so.
    Excellent - thanks!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

All, the best place to buy it and support the artists and people that financed the project is directly from Rarenoise here: https://www.rarenoiserecords.com/sonar

I'll wait for Wayside, thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    All, the best place to buy it and support the artists and people that financed the project is directly from Rarenoise here: https://www.rarenoiserecords.com/sonar
    I looked at this site for downloading MP3 files, and found a couple of concerns...
    1) even though the download page showed a picture of the new "Vortex" album, the text says "BUY the MP3 release of Solo A Genova by Jamie Saft.", so I'm not certain what I'm getting.
    2) they do not say what bit-rate their MP3 are encoded to. I won't buy anything less than 320kbps. Again, I don't know what I'm getting.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    I looked at this site for downloading MP3 files, and found a couple of concerns...
    1) even though the download page showed a picture of the new "Vortex" album, the text says "BUY the MP3 release of Solo A Genova by Jamie Saft.", so I'm not certain what I'm getting.
    2) they do not say what bit-rate their MP3 are encoded to. I won't buy anything less than 320kbps. Again, I don't know what I'm getting.
    I bought my MP3s there (couldn't wait until my pre-ordered CD will arrive), and had no issues. The files are 320 kbps.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    If you do Add to Cart you see the correct item in the Basket. Classic copy and paste mistake on the part of whomever's running the site.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'll wait for Wayside, thanks Steve
    Indeed!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Well, I downloaded the album from RareNoiseRecords just fine. I saw this lineup (with David Torn) at ProgDay this past September Even though they had some real-time mixing issues which caused Mr. Torn's guitar to completely drown out the rest of the band, I suspected they would rectify the issues on the album, and they did. It's a well balanced, fantastic album... I love it!

New Sonar + David Torn coming late 2019 on RareNoise Records. Looking forward to it.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
    New Sonar + David Torn coming late 2019 on RareNoise Records. Looking forward to it.
    excellent news. Vortex is easily the best thing Sonar has produced. These two work well together.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.