Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TULL collecting

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yeah, that one was on the Stormwatch remaster so I'm guessing it will appear on the book set when it comes out, along with the other associated recordings (Kelpie, King Henry's Madrigal, Crossword, etc.) I'd have to double check, but I don't think it was actually recorded during the HH sessions, was it? It was Ian playing bass instead of John Glascock so I'm thinking it wasn't.
    No, not an HH outtake, but since it was on a single with the Bursting Out version of "Sweet Dream," it would seem to belong to that period. (Actually, I personally associate it more with Stormwatch because I wasn't even aware the single existed until around that time.)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    No, not an HH outtake, but since it was on a single with the Bursting Out version of "Sweet Dream," it would seem to belong to that period. (Actually, I personally associate it more with Stormwatch because I wasn't even aware the single existed until around that time.)
    Gotcha. I guess it's one of those ones that could go either way, so Stormwatch it is. I wonder if they'll go for the longer version.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Tull is such a collectible band, with all of the boxed sets, bonus tracks, etc. etc... it's sometimes hard to keep up! For example, it was recently brought to my attention that the Stand Up 3-disc deluxe edition from 2010 is actually the only release with the complete Carnegie Hall show (on the DVD). Every other release, including the RSD issue, the show is edited and incomplete. Likewise, if you want the track Motoreyes, the only release it was ever given was on the 20 Years boxed set in 1988. The Nightcap release (still in print) is the only place to get several more tracks. The 25th Anniversary cigar box has stuff like the Beacons Bottom tapes, only available in that set (also the remixed classic songs, but it's unclear to me whether those particular mixes are only available on that box or were used again as bonus tracks). The Steven Wilson remix boxes from the last several years all have further unreleased tracks... and even more non-album tracks can be found on various CD singles/EPs, etc. (the best ever version of Jack-A-Lynn, for example, is on one of the three different versions of the Rocks On The Road EP.)

From what I can tell, I've got them all on one release or another. But it takes serious studying and research! Is anyone else out there a devoted Tull collector? I'd like to compare notes and learn more! I'm sure there are more discoveries to be made, and that's part of the fun.
    I have everything you mentioned above except the 3-disk Stand-Up, but I bought all of them as they came out so it wasn’t hard. The booklets in those boxes are well worth having too!

Is Nightcap still in print, or just still unsold copies? I do like it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I have everything you mentioned above except the 3-disk Stand-Up, but I bought all of them as they came out so it wasn’t hard. The booklets in those boxes are well worth having too!

Except he's actually opened all of his.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-23-2018 at 01:00 AM.

Gotcha. I guess it's one of those ones that could go either way, so Stormwatch it is. I wonder if they'll go for the longer version.
    Yes I've just stumbled on this. The timing of the existing CD version doesn't seem to match the 3.30 version listed here.

http://www.45cat.com/record/chs2260

Has the longer version of 'A Stitch In Time' never been on any CD then?

Is there anything on the 20th anniversary box set, which I believe was the first set of Tull music released, that hasn’t been on any of these reissues? I remember a track on it that didn’t have a title, something like untitled blues song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Except he's actually opened all of his.
    Zaius_portrait.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I want to be a Tull collector but find it a little too challenging and overwhelming for the reasons you mention. I don't know what versions to buy anymore. I haven't got any of these new book sets (although they look incredible) because I figure they will be out-dated in a year or two. So sadly I end up buying nothing. I am really tempted by those sets though but don't even know if the older ones are available any longer.

If I had kept up with all the releases over the years it might be a different story but I'm so hopelessly behind that I can't catch up. The completest in me wants it all or nothing!
    For someone like yourself who has kept up with it I can see it would be wonderful. The only band I still manage to do that for is Flower Kings (which is a ton of stuff if you count all the side projects) but it is pretty special to have all (or most) of it so I know and appreciate the feeling and joy in it. I would love to see your collection - can you post a picture or a list?
    TBH, I'm through rebuying the same albums over & over... and I don't care who does the remixing or remastering.
    This is not just valid for Tull, but for all of the other big whatever prog bands.

I did do a single exception for the Stand Up reissue with the Carnegie concert, though.

I've got the Japanese Mini-lp with the bonus tracks for the first six albums (LitP included), and I'll stick with the remastered jewel cases for the albums deem worthy to keep afterwards (I've got APP, WC, MitG, SFTW, HH, CoaK and) and I won't even bother buying a remaster from RtB... the rest, I have no use for (except for Isle Of Wight 70, which I own as a DVD)
    TBH, I'm thinking of doing a CD-r compilation from APP, WC and Minstrel, and another fromm Songs until Storm... and maybe find place in one of them for the tracks Knave.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

Is the full version of '17' out now?
    Yes, in the Benefit reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    TBH, I'm through rebuying the same albums over & over... and I don't care who does the remixing or remastering.
    This is not just valid for Tull, but for all of the other big whatever prog bands.

I did do a single exception for the Stand Up reissue with the Carnegie concert, though.

I've got the Japanese Mini-lp with the bonus tracks for the first six albums (LitP included), and I'll stick with the remastered jewel cases for the albums deem worthy to keep afterwards (I've got APP, WC, MitG, SFTW, HH, CoaK and) and I won't even bother buying a remaster from RtB... the rest, I have no use for (except for Isle Of Wight 70, which I own as a DVD)
    TBH, I'm thinking of doing a CD-r compilation from APP, WC and Minstrel, and another fromm Songs until Storm... and maybe find place in one of them for the tracks Knave.
    There's a remastered CoaK? And are you saying there's a remastered RtB, or just IF they release one? I wouldn't need either of those though. If they do Stormwatch in the book format I'd buy it (even though I already have the 2-disk remaster with the DVD, and if they did Broadsword in that format I'd buy it, though I don't know what they could add as bonuses that we don't already have. But that's where I'd draw the line. Of course, Ian's probably sitting on a ton of unreleased tracks from his solo stuff such as Divinities, SLOB, Rupi's Dance, etc. Oh, forgot to mention Under Wraps and Walk Into Light. I'd buy those in the book format!

BTW, my copies of the 20th Anniv set and the cigar box are well-played! I remember buying both - I think I bought the last new copy of the 20th Anniv set in NYC. I suddenly realized I needed it, and bought it in that little store right near Sounds on St. Mark's Place, just a few doors over - anyone remember the name of that store?

Same here, really. I didn't like that live stuff has been included in these book sets. I've no interest in Wilson's remixes but would have had interest in the live material. Why couldn't they have included the extra Bern material (particularly 'Heavy Horses'!) on the remastered 2-cd Bursting Out? It wasn't much so would easily have fit.

It was printed a few times over the years, and is still easily available. Well worth having for some of those unreleased tracks, and for anyone who prefers the Chateau tapes to have the flute overdubs.

Has the longer version of 'A Stitch In Time' never been on any CD then?
    No, it was only ever on the 20 Years box and the Stormwatch remaster, both the short version.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Is there anything on the 20th anniversary box set, which I believe was the first set of Tull music released, that hasn’t been on any of these reissues? I remember a track on it that didn’t have a title, something like untitled blues song.
    Yes, Motoreyes and Blues Instrumental are both exclusive to that box.

There's a remastered CoaK?
    Yes, it was part of the remaster series in 2005, with the bonus track Part Of The Machine.

If they do Stormwatch in the book format I'd buy it (even though I already have the 2-disk remaster with the DVD
    You're thinking of A, with Slipstream DVD.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

There's a remastered CoaK? And are you saying there's a remastered RtB, or just IF they release one? I wouldn't need either of those though.
    CoaK, yes (one bonus track), but you can easily liver without it

RtB, no remaster that I know of... and I wouldn't be interested if there was one. My last Tull reassessment has somewhat lowered my esteem of Braénches, though I still think it's from far the best since Horses.Wopods.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

You're thinking of A, with Slipstream DVD.
    Doh! I somehow knew I had forgotten something, but didn't know what I'd forgot!

Roots To Branches was remastered in 2006 but there are no extra tracks.

https://www.discogs.com/Jethro-Tull-...elease/3070179

Same here, really. I didn't like that live stuff has been included in these book sets. I've no interest in Wilson's remixes but would have had interest in the live material. Why couldn't they have included the extra Bern material (particularly 'Heavy Horses'!) on the remastered 2-cd Bursting Out? It wasn't much so would easily have fit.
    Probably being saved for the 50-year extravaganza edition. Can't give the people *everything* in one set.

Nobody celebrates album "anniversaries" like Ian Anderson. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Nobody celebrates album "anniversaries" like Ian Anderson. :P
    coughrobertfrippcoughcough
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    coughrobertfrippcoughcough
    That is true.

Although I think he was a bit late to the game, right - only starting the deluge of product in the 2000s?

^^^^

Frame by Frame boxset is from 91 and Great Deceiver from 92... he's not stopped since.

Lucky Man
    ^^^^

Frame by Frame boxset is from 91 and Great Deceiver from 92... he's not stopped since.
    And I think most of us tend to agree, bless him for it!
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

As for the Chateau tapes, the complete version of the album is only available on the A Passion Play: An Extended Performance box in my photo above. Wilson mixed them and presented them in what was alleged to be the intended running order for the album. The incomplete version of the album with Anderson's early 90s flute overdubs is still available as disc 1 of the Nightcap release.
    Would this be the same material as "Chateau d' heroville" (spelling?) ? I heard this on Youtube around a year ago, thought it was great, and 2 days later it was taken down for a copyright strike. It appeared to be out of print when I searched for it.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I want to be a Tull collector but find it a little too challenging and overwhelming for the reasons you mention. I don't know what versions to buy anymore. I haven't got any of these new book sets (although they look incredible) because I figure they will be out-dated in a year or two. So sadly I end up buying nothing. I am really tempted by those sets though but don't even know if the older ones are available any longer.

If I had kept up with all the releases over the years it might be a different story but I'm so hopelessly behind that I can't catch up. The completest in me wants it all or nothing!
    Yeah, I'm similar to you on this. For now I'm just staying content with the DVD that someone burned for me around 10 years ago. Somehow got into a convo with the produce manager at this supermarket in which he said he was a huge Tull fan and I told him TAAB was probably my desert island disc. Next time I was in the store, he hands me a DVD with the entire catalog up to that time, including Ian's solo albums! Filled in a lot of gaps in my collection, for sure! (*but did not include the Chateau d'heroville album)
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I realize that this is a Jethro Tull (proper) thread, and I have many disks and have seen them countless times.

But I did not see this latest released disk mentioned and for anyone who is also into good recordings and sound, as well as very alternate versions, I highly recommend this String Quartet disk.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Would this be the same material as "Chateau d' heroville" (spelling?) ? I heard this on Youtube around a year ago, thought it was great, and 2 days later it was taken down for a copyright strike. It appeared to be out of print when I searched for it.
    Yes, the Château d'Hérouville was the recording studio where that album was being worked on, later dubbed the "Chateau d'Isaster" by Ian and the boys due to the problems they experienced there. The album was largely scrapped and they started from scratch for A Passion Play, but they did keep some of it, most notably the "Critique Oblique" section and one or two other melodies. "Skating Away" and "Solitaire" were saved for the War Child album.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Yeah, I'm similar to you on this. For now I'm just staying content with the DVD that someone burned for me around 10 years ago. Somehow got into a convo with the produce manager at this supermarket in which he said he was a huge Tull fan and I told him TAAB was probably my desert island disc. Next time I was in the store, he hands me a DVD with the entire catalog up to that time, including Ian's solo albums! Filled in a lot of gaps in my collection, for sure! (*but did not include the Chateau d'heroville album)
    If it was only ten years ago, it wasn't the entire catalogue up to that time or the Château d'Hérouville recordings would have been there as some of them appeared on the 20 Years box, and a much longer version on Nightcap.

If you are looking for the Chateau album proper, the best place to hear it is on the Passion Play: An Extended Performance box (in my photo above). Not only the cleanest version you'll hear, but the only place where it is complete. Some people don't like it as much because they got too used to hearing the Nightcap version with Ian's flute overdubs (but those were recorded many years later), which are not on the Passion box version, as Steven Wilson wanted to present them the way they had been recorded.

If it was only ten years ago, it wasn't the entire catalogue up to that time or the Château d'Hérouville recordings would have been there as some of them appeared on the 20 Years box, and a much longer version on Nightcap.

If you are looking for the Chateau album proper, the best place to hear it is on the Passion Play: An Extended Performance box (in my photo above).
    Thanks, I'll look for the PP box. Maybe that guy didn't have the 20 year box? I know that the albums he burned for me didn't have any bonus tracks .