Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gentle Giant Reunion In The Works?

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Is that an official tour tshirt? Looks as homemade as they come. Everything I've read, and remember, was they announced the 82 tour and billed it as their last tour. They filmed the last show in Toronto and released it on video as a documentation of their last concert. They released an album/CD package as "Who's Last".
    Anyway, it's all moot now, as they tour in perpetuity....

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    You're thinking of Phil Collins or The Eagles aren't you? I didn't think The Who billed it as anything other than a Farewell Tour.
    It was Phil who billed one of his tours as "the first farewell tour". When The Who did it in 1982, that was back when bands and performers seriously meant it when they said "Farewell tour" or that they were retiring or whatever, and it was back before everyone got so jaded about the whole "farewell tour" thing.

I remember Ozzy Osbourne, back in the 90's doing a farewell tour, which he billed as the No More Tours tour, then a couple years later, he embarked on the Retirement Sucks tour. I gather his coming tour this year will be his second farewell tour, or some such.

Is that an official tour tshirt? Looks as homemade as they come. Everything I've read, and remember, was they announced the 82 tour and billed it as their last tour. They filmed the last show in Toronto and released it on video as a documentation of their last concert. They released an album/CD package as "Who's Last".
    Anyway, it's all moot now, as they tour in perpetuity....
    I don't know what it's like anywhere else, about around here, there's regularly people selling bootleg t-shirts outside the venues of big shows. I remember the first time I saw Yes, at the Cleveland Music Hall, someone was selling a t-shirt that had pictures of the band on both the front and back of the shirt. One of the pictures had Wakeman and Anderson in it, the other had the "Yes meets The Buggles" (as Steve Howe once called it) lineup!

They filmed the last show in Toronto and released it on video as a documentation of their last concert. They released an album/CD package as "Who's Last".
    I remember staying up late to watch the Toronto concert, as it was broadcast on CBC, not live, but it aired the same night. I actually had a friend of mine who called me up and told me they were playing the concert live on the radio, so I tuned in, and I think I came in during The Quiet One, which was like the fourth or fifth song, I think. So I listened to the radio broadcast, not knowing half the songs, really, as I'd only just gotten into The Who (and I was 9 years old, so it wasn't like I "grew up" with them at that point).

Then, after the concert had more or less ended, I watched like the first half hour or so of the TV broadcast. I think I went to bed during Behind Blue Eyes, as it was after midnight, and I was getting tired, and I always felt bad when I fell asleep with the TV on (which I did a number of times back in those days).

I remember when they did go back on the road in 89, and Townshend at the time was admitting in interviews that he was doing it "for the money". He said in Rolling Stone he realized that America wanted to make him "rich again". It wasn't until after Entwistle passed away that I heard that the truth was that Thunderfingers was in danger of losing his house. Apparently, when the band stopped, he failed to shift out of the "rock star lifestyle" and was still spending money like crazy. So, they went on tour just to give him an influx of cash so he'd not have to move into a caravan or something.

^^^ Big Johnny Twinkle's main problem was cocaine. Hell, he wore the spoon around his neck in public...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The Who didn't tour in 1992.
    Yes, I meant 1982!! It’s been established.

Some awaiting the no doubt imminent reunion of Gentle Giant might be interested in this new tune by Damon Shulman, from his forthcoming album Plausible Causes:

^^^ Great tune!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

So where is the first gig?

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    So where is the first gig?
    At the top of the beanstalk.

I'd like to know that myself. Apparently there is a whole Death Squad battalion of eager cadets here who cant wait to execute musicians at the first signs of grey hair for merely wanting to continue their life's work of playing music, lest it soil their precious pubescent memories.

Hilarious! I have grey hair (and a white beard) and I still play music every chance I get. Even stuff I wrote when I was 18 or 20. None of us are suggesting we have any say in what bands should or shouldn't do, just stating opinions. Though certainly not as colorfully as you state yours. If Gentle Giant wants to make a big comeback playing their "hits" from 40 years ago, more power to them! I sense though, that at least a couple members of the band prefer to live in the present and to move forward with their life and work. I respect that greatly. VDGG certainly pulled off the best reunion of old timers I've seen to date, and they did it with new material (and are still putting out new material). If GG can do that, and want to do that, I'd certainly be more than pleased. At the moment, this seems incredibly unlikely and I respect someone like Derek for not wanting to join the nostalgia train.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post

Hilarious! I have grey hair (and a white beard) and I still play music every chance I get. Even stuff I wrote when I was 18 or 20. None of us are suggesting we have any say in what bands should or shouldn't do, just stating opinions. Though certainly not as colorfully as you state yours. If Gentle Giant wants to make a big comeback playing their "hits" from 40 years ago, more power to them! I sense though, that at least a couple members of the band prefer to live in the present and to move forward with their life and work. I respect that greatly. VDGG certainly pulled off the best reunion of old timers I've seen to date, and they did it with new material (and are still putting out new material). If GG can do that, and want to do that, I'd certainly be more than pleased. At the moment, this seems incredibly unlikely and I respect someone like Derek for not wanting to join the nostalgia train.
    Just mostly riffing off of the Logan's Run analogy, which I thought was pretty funny and germane. I also doubt that a true reunion tour will occur, but the announcement is intriguing, but I'm guessing is a box set release.

I'd like to know that myself. Apparently there is a whole Death Squad battalion of eager cadets here who cant wait to execute musicians at the first signs of grey hair for merely wanting to continue their life's work of playing music, lest it soil their precious pubescent memories.
    They could go after Leland Sklar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leland_Sklar