Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My current Psychedelic binge

My current Psychedelic binge

I thought it would be nice to share my current obsession a Psychedelic Rock of the 60's and wanted to share this with fellow members
    Here is a playlist I made from stuff posted on the Avant Progressive FB group
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tdOx0DtukNb9EN

How do you see the evolution and relationship of Psychedelic and experimental avant progressive ?
    What are you favorite and not so obvious Psychedelic acts?
    Rock on !
    "Psychedelic rock attempted to replicate the effects of and enhance the mind-altering experiences of hallucinogenic drugs, incorporating new electronic sound effects and recording effects, extended solos, and improvisation.
    Common features include:
    * Electric guitars, often used with feedback, wah wah and fuzzbox effects units;
    * Elaborate studio effects, such as backwards tapes, panning, phasing, long delay loops, and extreme reverb;
    * Elements of Eastern music, specifically Indian music,
    * Non-Western instruments, specifically those originally used in Indian classical music, such as the sitar and tabla;
    * Elements of free-form jazz
    *A strong keyboard presence, especially electronic organs, harpsichords, or the Mellotron (an early tape-driven 'sampler')
    *Extended instrumental segments, especially guitar solos, or jams;
    disjunctive song structures, occasional key and time signature changes, modal melodies and drones;
    *Electronic instruments such as synthesizers and the theremin;
    *Lyrics that made direct or indirect reference to hallucinogenic drugs, as in Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" or Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit"; surreal, whimsical, esoterically or literary-inspired, lyrics."
    Last edited by Udi Koomran; 04-01-2018 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post

"Psychedelic rock attempted to replicate the effects of and enhance the mind-altering experiences of hallucinogenic drugs, incorporating new electronic sound effects and recording effects, extended solos, and improvisation.
    Common features include:
    [/I]* Electric guitars, often used with feedback, wah wah and fuzzbox effects units;
    * Elaborate studio effects, such as backwards tapes, panning, phasing, long delay loops, and extreme reverb;
    * Elements of Eastern music, specifically Indian music,
    * Non-Western instruments, specifically those originally used in Indian classical music, such as the sitar and tabla;
    * Elements of free-form jazz
    *A strong keyboard presence, especially electronic organs, harpsichords, or the Mellotron (an early tape-driven 'sampler')
    *Extended instrumental segments, especially guitar solos, or jams;
    disjunctive song structures, occasional key and time signature changes, modal melodies and drones;
    *Electronic instruments such as synthesizers and the theremin;
    [/I]
    Hey, I love all the elements that you listed above, BUT I don't know of any 60's bands that were doing these long instrumental eastern influenced jams.

That's why I like the more modern Psych stuff, so if you can recommend anything like that, please post it here.

PS: I'll check out your YouTube link tomorrow...

Lucky Man
    Nice to see some warmly familiar stuff in that playlist, which I have only partially perused.

Ten Years After/I'd Love To Change The World is one that resonates now as it did then, and perhaps even harder, if this makes sense. Harder.

Recently played this for someone who isn't quite the listener, though my age...-ish. He really dug!

I then followed with Here They Come, which -I!- hadn't heard for years, decades perhaps and it stunned me how good it still is! The whistling/fingerpicking conclusion...bliss...here they come and they're taking us someplace good?...

Thanks for this. I will be revisiting the playlist.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Hey, I love all the elements that you listed above, BUT I don't know of any 60's bands that were doing these long instrumental eastern influenced jams.

That's why I like the more modern Psych stuff, so if you can recommend anything like that, please post it here.

PS: I'll check out your YouTube link tomorrow...

The best ever.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

This looks fun.

Question: would you include any classic Kraut in this "genre"?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Banned
    Hi Udi,

I consider this one to be somewhat in my wheelhouse, but I'm not seeing your playlist. The link goes to a YouTube of Status Quo - Pictures of Matchstick Men...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Hi Udi,

I consider this one to be somewhat in my wheelhouse, but I'm not seeing your playlist. The link goes to a YouTube of Status Quo - Pictures of Matchstick Men...
    I think that is first on the playlist. To the right is the actual list. Correct me if I'm rong.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Banned
    ^^^

Correct. My bad!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This looks fun.

Question: would you include any classic Kraut in this "genre"?
    I can't think of a reason why Kraut wouldn't fit in here. If one looks at Udi's given features of the "genre", it's tick,tick,tick from top to bottom for bands like Agitation Free, Amon Duul II, Can etc.

I have the feeling that Kraut is closer to psychedelia than prog in any case, whatever those terms might mean. When I begun listening to classic prog, I accidentaly bought Phalus Dei and almost threw it out of the window. I gave it to a friend with the words:"this is not Prog, this is Psych! Take it away!". I was 19 and sort of rigid concerning MY TASTE.

Isn't the list mainly British names Udi? The West Coast psych seems a bit under-represented in your list IMO.

The first thing that comes to my mind is this:

Yes I easily prefer the British psych - more radical more experimental more imaginative ( for my ears )

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I don't know of any 60's bands that were doing these long instrumental eastern influenced jams.

I can think of dozens more. By The Frumious Bandersnatch, Linn County, H.P. Lovecraft, Mother Earth, Quicksilver Messenger Service, KaK, The Golden Dawn, Bubble Puppy, Ultimate Spinach, Tripsichord, Ill Wind, The Brain Police and numerous others.

And I'm in no doubt that studio trickery and Production techniques were applied more creatively in the UK, but as far as compositional valor is concerned I actually find that most of the truly imaginative stuff came from the US. In the UK artists were either weirdo-folk or -garage or the complete opposite and bubblegom or sunshine pop-psych. Lots to love, but somewhat less "rock" to my ears.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^^ I also find the Americans more interesting on this field. More adventurous, experimental, edgy stuff. Some of the British psych sounds mellow and dated to my ears (but I am not the greatest fan in the world of Beatles)

To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

I can think of dozens more. By The Frumious Bandersnatch, Linn County, H.P. Lovecraft, Mother Earth, Quicksilver Messenger Service, KaK, The Golden Dawn, Bubble Puppy, Ultimate Spinach, Tripsichord, Ill Wind, The Brain Police and numerous others.

And I'm in no doubt that studio trickery and Production techniques were applied more creatively in the UK, but as far as compositional valor is concerned I actually find that most of the truly imaginative stuff came from the US. In the UK artists were either weirdo-folk or -garage or the complete opposite and bubblegom or sunshine pop-psych. Lots to love, but somewhat less "rock" to my ears.
    Well Richard I am ready to be educated please share the essential stuff that is missing from my playlist

here's one for the scissor man

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

In the opposition between UK and US Psych, I'm also one that prefers the US side, of things because the groups seemed to be less whimsical and more cosmic.... Not that much a fan of that English tweeness spirit that one finds in Tomorrow, Syd's Floyd, the UK Kaleidoscope, The Move, etc.... I much prefer the Traffic after they disbanded and reformed than their first incarnation. While I like Harum's debut album, I never really dug the way most UK groups just dabbled into psych rock for a few songs, then moved on... the US bands (not just the Frisco bands, but the LA or Texas ones as well) seemed to live and breathe psych rock

I'll the Airplane, Spirit, The Doors, The Dead, Kak, the first Mad River album (the second one sucks) any day of Piper
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    In the opposition between UK and US Psych, I'm also one that prefers the US side, of things because the groups seemed to be less whimsical and more cosmic....
    I'll mark this date on the calendar - we finally agree on something!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    In the opposition between UK and US Psych, I'm also one that prefers the US side, of things because the groups seemed to be less whimsical and more cosmic.... Not that much a fan of that English tweeness spirit that one finds in Tomorrow, Syd's Floyd, the UK Kaleidoscope, The Move, etc....

I'll the Airplane, Spirit, The Doors, The Dead, Kak, the first Mad River album (the second one sucks) any day of Piper
    As a Brit, all I can say is... I completely agree. I struggle with the UK stuff too.

The United States of America, the band, created one of the best psychedelic trip albums. You can hear an interview with the founders, Joseph Byrd and Dorothy Moskowitz in the Echoes Podcast. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-dGh

Banned
    ^^^

Great album. I've had the original vinyl forever. One of my faves.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    You should be weeping uncontrollably right now!

Banned
    ^^^

I kinda agree, but personally, I like the whimsical English psychedelic pop. The genre includes some absolutely wonderful songs. List of US and UK gems that haven't already been mentioned or on Udi's list forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    ooopsssie...I may have to consult, cos I may not be feeling well

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You should be weeping uncontrollably right now!
    Actually, I am... :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^

I kinda agree, but personally, I like the whimsical English psychedelic pop. The genre includes some absolutely wonderful songs. List of US and UK gems that haven't already been mentioned or on Udi's list forthcoming.
    The best of both

Unitedstatians chanting the british Lewis Carrol

Try & beat that one, UK
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.