Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My grandma listens to the coolest music...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My grandmothers were no help musically,
    although they provided me with a solid liking of music, my parents were no help in my tastes (actual or back then)... and my grandparents even less.

However I do remember my mom's father saying that The Beatles were "interesting" and Floyd were "most interesting"

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Bear in mind, if she's 20, her mother could be 36-40, and her grandmother 52-60.

In other words, OUR AGE
    Then again my mother had to wait until 67 to become a grandmother, but I know of two cases when they had to wait until they turned 80

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    My nieces can claim that their great grandmother listens to the coolest music as my mom is an avid fan of bands like Pink Floyd and Supertramp, and knows her way around the blues....
    Then again, many 60/70's female teens could claim to be the grandmothers with the worst musical tastes (disco,

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    All that being said, I send more time listening to music MY grandparents probably listened to than I do contemporary music. I love pre-war jazz and blues.
    So do I. Now... But would you have sat down with grandma at the age of 20 and listened with her? And thought it was cool music?
    I really got big problems getting into pre-59 music (outside classical)... I mean, I know of it and can listen to it for a while, but let's face it, I own none of it and most likely never will.

There's tons of music I listen to that I would have scoffed at as a young adult.
    It's called evolving. Some do, some don't.
    Then again, you can evolve and not at the same time... Most of us will still like most of the music they liked as a tenn

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Last night I happened to have a discussion with my wife's 30 year old nephew about Pink Floyd. He is totally into them, owns all of the albums (on vinyl no less). I am not quite old enough to be his grandfather, but not far from it.
    I've heard (on the radio, no less) that 20 sumthin' are now encoraged to listen to 80's music on cassettes

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    On the other side there’s a lot of teenagers who love music from the 70’s like Sabbath, Floyd and Zeppelin.
    hey, 70's was THE music decade (with the 60's)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

When my mom was in her 70's she dug a Stevie Ray Vaughn concert that was playing on the public TV channel. Another time I walked in as she was watching IGGY POP on the same channel. Just as Iggy was saying, "c'mon motherf******" to the crowd. Not sure if she liked him but it was one of those things where "you can't look away..."
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...