Thread: RIP Chuck Berry

Bummer ... a year ago.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Bummer ... a year ago.
    Most certainly

How to delete a thread... ?

Chuck lives forever !

I must have missed the news a year ago. Anyway, goodbye, Chuck.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Most certainly

How to delete a thread... ?
    Don't sweat it. People 'round these parts revive old RIP thread all the time. Some even still wish dead people happy birthday.

Happy Birthday Lino!

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Don't sweat it. People 'round these parts revive old RIP thread all the time. Some even still wish dead people happy birthday.

“Chaucer is dead, Spencer is dead, so is Milton, so is Shakespeare, and I'm not feeling so well myself.” ― Mark Twain

I saw Chuck play live at least 4 times in the small clubs which were his hometown base, The Pageant and mostly Blueberry Hill's Duck Room, in the Delmar Loop. That includes his 80th Birthday Celebration at the Duck Room (which only holds about 300), where Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry made a surprise and unannounced appearance and came up on stage to play a few tunes with a surprised Chuck. Very cool to see the Real King of Rock and Roll play 30 feet in front of you. My biggest music concert regret ever was not being able to go to his 60th Bday celebration at the Fox Theater, memorialized of course on the fantastic Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll DVD set (a must own for anyone even remotely interested in the history of rock and roll).

I also was one of the few hundred lucky members of the public able to get a ticket to see the primarily family and friends only Memorial Service held at the Pageant (people all over the US and even Europe flew in and stood in line to try to get in). The surreal viewing of Chuck in his casket, with his Gibson guitar on the top of the casket, Chuck in a signature captain's hat. Flower display in the shape of a guitar next to the casket sent by The Rolling Stones. Tributes galore of course. Speakers such as Leonard Chess's son (Chess Records), Paul Shaffer, and oddly enough, Gene Simmons of KISS, who was just hanging in the back and was apparently asked to come up and eulogize impromptu. There were hopes and rumors of Keith Richards showing up, but no. The musical portion was mostly gospel related numbers, family members performing, but also at the end a short suite of classics performed by Chuck's longtime backing bandmember and blues guitarist Billy Peek and Johnny Rivers, who of course covered a lot of Berry's songs. A unique and odd character for sure, but to me and for many, the real King of rock and roll.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-20-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Electric guitars all over the world say that Chuck will never die.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

So does anyone that learns to play Suite: Judy Blue Eyes on acoustic. The verses proved that Chuck Berry's rhythm pattern could be placed in any key and any style of music.A true innovator.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Electric guitars all over the world say that Chuck will never die.