Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Progressive Rock Band IN CONTINUUM!

New Progressive Rock Band IN CONTINUUM!

incontinuumcoverfinal.jpg

Just announced today for Cruise To The Edge 2019 is my new progressive rock band/recording project called "In Continuum"! We'll be releasing our debut album this year (and another album next year because that's how I roll! haha). I'm on keys and joining me on lead vocals is Gabriel Agudo from Steve Rothery Band and Bad Dreams. There's also a variety of guest vocalists doing different roles on the albums including Jon Davison of Yes and contributions from the multi-instrumentalists participating on the album(s) which include Matt Dorsey (Sound of Contact), Randy McStine (The Fringe, Sound of Contact) and John Wesley (Porcupine Tree, Sound of Contact). Drumming on the album will be Nick D'Virgilio (BBT, Spocks Beard, Genesis), Derek Cintron (Dave Kerzner Band) and Alex Cromarty (Mostly Autumn, Mantra Vega). Fernando Perdomo will also be on the album but his role in this project will be different than his large role in the Dave Kerzner Band (my solo band where I do all of the lead vocals). Steve Rothery of Marillion will be doing a cameo guitar solo on the first album with more collaborations to announce as we go forward.

I will be releasing many of the songs I wrote that I was hoping to do with Sound of Contact but since that's dormant right now with future unknown I am thrilled to have IN CONTINUUM as a new outlet for my love of keyboard-driven sci fi prog while I explore other areas in my solo work.

Here's where you can follow what's happening:

http://incontinuumband.com

FB: http://www.facebook.com/incontinuumband
    TW: http://www.twitter.com/incontinuumband

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Dave, very cool news! Glad you've found a way to use the new SoC material so quickly, but I know that's your style!

Since you mentioned on FB that Steve Rothery would be featured, does this mean Rothery's band will be on CTTE next year? John Wesley's great, don't know how you'll manage so many great guitarists!

Wonderful! I really have enjoyed "Static," can't wait to see how this one sounds.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Dave, very cool news! Glad you've found a way to use the new SoC material so quickly, but I know that's your style!

Since you mentioned on FB that Steve Rothery would be featured, does this mean Rothery's band will be on CTTE next year? John Wesley's great, don't know how you'll manage so many great guitarists!
    Thanks. Rothery is doing a cameo guitar solo on the album but he's not part of the live line up (unless he IS where we are then of course it's always a possibility). So, I have no idea if he'll be on the cruise. I only know the same thing everyone else knows from what was announced.

As for the guitarists, the two guitarists (the main ones on the In Continuum album), are Randy and Wes. Fern is on there only because he's probably the best utility "I need this can you do it?" person I know! So, he's there more "as needed" as opposed to as the star of it like he is in my solo band where he hams it up. I'm trying to keep the personalities of the two bands different so that means Fern won't actually be playing with In Continuum live (unless he's filling in for Randy or Wes that is). Matt will be playing various instruments on the album and bass live for the select shows we'll be doing (like CTTE). NDV is drumming on the album but it's likely Derek who will be doing it live (even if Derek does do some of the drumming on the album as well but not as much as he did on Static, my latest solo album).

Regarding the material I was going to do with SOC, that's being spread across several albums with the second album having more of what was going to be on the second SOC album and the first IC album having songs I wrote around the time of Dimensionaut combined with many new songs.

Thanks, Dave - that all makes perfect sense!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Wonderful! I really have enjoyed "Static," can't wait to see how this one sounds.
    Thanks!

Looking forward to this. Gabriel is a great singer, and perhaps more importantly, a good dude.

Thanks!
    Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

Great news! Dimensionaut, New World and Static were all excellent LP's. I'm sure this will be as well.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    Looking forward to this. Gabriel is a great singer, and perhaps more importantly, a good dude.

Thanks!
    Mike
    Thanks Mike! I like Gabriel's voice and he's got a great positive attitude. Fun to work with! Great positive energy and a hunger to make things happen. That's important!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Great news! Dimensionaut, New World and Static were all excellent LP's. I'm sure this will be as well.
    Thank you! I only go by what I like and the next two In Continuum albums to me are really special. Most of the music is already written for them so I've been listening for awhile! Now it's time to record them with this stellar line up. Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Looking forward to it.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I thought for sure you had talked Hackett into starting a group. This is cool news too though! Kudos, Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I thought for sure you had talked Hackett into starting a group. This is cool news too though! Kudos, Dave!
    Haha. Actually I have talked to Hackett about making a group and he was into it! But, realistically speaking it'd probably be more like a Squickett type project with limited touring, if any, since he's so busy with his solo touring and quite prolific on the album making! Might guest on his next album though and perhaps he'll guest on something else of mine at some point... that seems to work well. These days I like to just do what works and stick with that.

Btw I'm gonna hit you up for new shirts at some point! Designing it now.

Word!

^ Any update on the various Genesis/Rush/Yes covers etc. from some years back. Will more of those see the light of day?

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    ^ Any update on the various Genesis/Rush/Yes covers etc. from some years back. Will more of those see the light of day?

Henry
    Ooh, that's a good question, but methinks Squids has enough on his plate for right now...

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

Henry
    Yes. I'm always putting those on the back burner to the point where they've been brewing for 5 years so it's time to release them into the wild. I will get those done and released this year. Some of the tracks have Keith Emerson playing on them. One with both Hackett and Emerson in fact. Rothery's on there too. A lot of great musicians participated in it. For me, tribute projects are side projects because my main thing is writing music. So, I had put out a few albums of my material just to make sure I didn't become "that tribute guy" haha. But, now that the coast's clear I can put the final touches on them and get them out (by Friday!).

I was just talking with Francis Dunnery about finishing up The Lamb tracks next month. The Rush tribute is the closest to finish and I was just holding out to do a track with David Longdon of Big Big Train that I really love (both him and the song) but it would have to be built from scratch since I don't have the drum track from Neil Peart for that song... and I was going to play it from the keyboard using Neil's drum samples but it's in 5/8 and a little tricky. A fun challenge but I need a bit of time to do it right. Arrrggghhh. Maybe I'll still do it. There's also an original music side to the project too and I have material from Glass Hammer, Billy Sherwood and others for that as well. The Floyd tribute split into two projects, one I did with Alan Parsons participating and the other that's become a female led Floyd tribute sung by the McBroom Sisters and it'll be their album that I'm co-producing which will also have original songs written with various people who played with Floyd like Guy Pratt, Jon Carin and others. Even a tune they wrote with Lemmy from Motorhead will be on that one. Some of the guys from Australian Pink Floyd are helping finish that album because I've gotten a bit too overloaded to do ALL of them at the same time. There is also another Genesis-related Sonic Elements thing that may come out as well but it hasn't been announced publicly so that's probably the lowest priority. Then there's the Yes stuff which I don't know if I have enough to do a full album of Yes music. Might put those on an SE compilation album or something just to get everything I've worked on a home and unless we do any others (might) that will wrap up the tributes. Obviously if they do really well for my distributors there could be more. They've been done mostly for the labor of love celebrating the music and not because I was commissioned to do it by a label so the good part is that they're crafted with a lot of care... bad news I suppose is that there was no deadline! Haha. Something to be said for having a budget and a time-line! Anyway, I'm imposing my own deadline of releasing them all before the end of the year. Probably around Summer time or at least by the end of the year as I'll be playing some of it on CTTE! Ahaaaaaa. Hmmmm.

I was just thinking about the name In Continuum and how it's pretty cool because it sounds like both "continuing" and "not continuing." Pretty clever!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I was just thinking about the name In Continuum and how it's pretty cool because it sounds like both "continuing" and "not continuing." Pretty clever!
    Thanks. For me it fits "the next chapter" in terms of my approach to being in a band after the experiences I've had over the years. I like to collaborate with other musicians but I don't like to be dependent on them. The show must always go on so this band has back up musicians in case someone can't do a show, I have multiple singers and multi-instrumentalists who can cover parts that are best suited to them and a lot of the music is co-written in band jam sessions. I did a bit of that on my most recent album "Static" (the songs Hypocrites, Dirty Soap Box, Millennium Man and Carnival of Modern Life were all co-written musically with just me writing the lyrics and melodies). That part of the album felt more like a band than a solo album. So, "Static" is kind of like a hybrid band/solo album. My next solo album will be, for the most part, written and sung solely by me again like New World was. I'll still be the main songwriter for In Continuum as well but there will likely be more band collaboration than I'll do on my solo albums.

I like to try different approaches to see what works. I think the way I've set this up (more like how King Crimson or Alan Parsons Project are as flexible line up bands from album to album tour to tour) I think it promotes both productivity (planning to do an album per year for a bit) and longevity. This is something many bands and projects I've been part of lacked. I'd like to turn that around so I can build a nice catalog of albums while I'm on a creative roll here.

incontinuumcoverfinal.jpg

We'll be releasing our debut album this year (and another album next year because that's how I roll! haha).
    What, do you think this is the 70's? Modern prog bands are supposed to have a minimum of 5 years between albums!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Yes. I'm always putting those on the back burner to the point where they've been brewing for 5 years so it's time to release them into the wild. I will get those done and released this year. Some of the tracks have Keith Emerson playing on them. One with both Hackett and Emerson in fact. Rothery's on there too. A lot of great musicians participated in it. For me, tribute projects are side projects because my main thing is writing music. So, I had put out a few albums of my material just to make sure I didn't become "that tribute guy" haha. But, now that the coast's clear I can put the final touches on them and get them out
    I look forward to the result, whatever form it all eventually takes! I've been enjoying Glass Hammer's "The Impulsive Type" lately.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    What, do you think this is the 70's? Modern prog bands are supposed to have a minimum of 5 years between albums!
    I love the 70s!

Hi Dave, Any chance about vinyl releases of your two solo album?

Quote Originally Posted by tonissive View Post
    Hi Dave, Any chance about vinl releases of your two solo album?
    I do plan to release them on vinyl at some point. New World Deluxe Edition would be a triple record pack. Static a double album on vinyl. Both will be gatefold.

Great!! Thanks!!!!