Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Progressive Rock Band IN CONTINUUM!

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I look forward to the result, whatever form it all eventually takes! I've been enjoying Glass Hammer's "The Impulsive Type" lately.

Henry
    That'll give you some idea of what it sounds like to write a song with essentially Neil Peart on drums!

Very Excited to hear of In Continuum - are there or will there soon be any sound samples/teaser posted for us to listen to? Thanks

In Continuum will be playing at ProgStock this October....just announced last night.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    Very Excited to hear of In Continuum - are there or will there soon be any sound samples/teaser posted for us to listen to? Thanks
    I posted a small clip of Marco Minnemann's drum session the other day for the album. I'll be posting more on the In Continuum Facebook page.

Check this out! Marco is just incredible! -

The new project sounds exciting Dave, and these morsels of musical muse help while we wait the arrival of the Static Live Blu-Ray.

So wonderful to see the special characteristics that set Marco apart from other over-the-top drummers, and which one could also observe in the Dream Theater drummer competition.
    Total reckless abandon, fun and energy (plus the technical perfection and musicality)

Also, very uplifting and powerful music, that he's playing to!

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
    So wonderful to see the special characteristics that set Marco apart from other over-the-top drummers, and which one could also observe in the Dream Theater drummer competition.
    Total reckless abandon, fun and energy (plus the technical perfection and musicality)

Also, very uplifting and powerful music, that he's playing to!
    I keep seeing people talking about the DT audition saying all kinds of stuff. I'm not up on it. I'm friends with Jordan but don't really know DT music that well. I'm glad he isn't doing that gig though. Probably wouldn't have been able to get him to play with us if that happened!

It's not important in itself, but that audition (all discussions about its maybe sensationist and PR character aside) has been a rare opportunity to see highly qualified instrumentalists play the same music with fixed parts and be able to compare style, phrasing etc.
    And Marco's somehow 'wild' approach, also including standing up during fills due to excitement, was visible in your fantastic video as well. That's all

Looking forward to this production!

It's not important in itself, but that audition (all discussions about its maybe sensationist and PR character aside) has been a rare opportunity to see highly qualified instrumentalists play the same music with fixed parts and be able to compare style, phrasing etc.
    And Marco's somehow 'wild' approach, also including standing up during fills due to excitement, was visible in your fantastic video as well. That's all

Looking forward to this production!
    Thanks! Yeah I love that about him. He really gets into it and is such a showman even in the studio making a video reference for me (that's all this was! haha. It even still has the click track!). Looking forward to playing this live with him. Wait, did I say that?

Got sessions coming up with Nick D'Virgilio next. He said to me "You know I won't be playing as many notes as Marco right?" and I laughed and said "Dude you just do your thing!". These are two of my favorite drummers in the world and each has a different feel from one another. NDV more in the Collins camp and Marco perhaps more in the Bruford camp (generally speaking... they each have their own particular style of playing of course). But, both of them work really well for the diversity of the material which falls stylistically somewhere in between Genesis/Yes/Floyd and Radiohead/Muse/Porcupine Tree.

To me personally, Marco is more like young Terry Bozzio reincarnated
    And as I personally know people, who played with both...

To me personally, Marco is more like young Terry Bozzio reincarnated
    And as I personally know people, who played with both...
    Terry's still alive though. haha (and I've played with both)

Here's a clip from the drum session with Nick D'Virgilio this week.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I watched the Big Big Train "Stone and Steel" video the other day, and Nick seemed to play just what was needed. I was impressed.

Not sure what you mean exactly but yes he's fantastic! I love his playing in BBT and pretty much everything.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Not sure what you mean exactly but yes he's fantastic! I love his playing in BBT and pretty much everything.
    Oh, he just wasn't showier than he needed to be, but definitely contributed a lot. Also he seemed like a good guy in the video extras.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Oh, he just wasn't showier than he needed to be, but definitely contributed a lot. Also he seemed like a good guy in the video extras.
    Oh I see. Yeah I guess so but that's subjective as to what's needed or not. I don't mind when a drummer does fancy stuff in a song if the song calls for it and Nick is actually great at that too. And, yes, he is a good guy! Very humble and down to Earth.

Banned
    I love NDV’s playing, I feel he is a cross between Ringo Star and Phil Collins. I don’t know if people will get that, but Ringo may not have been the the speed demon of drumming compared to Phil, but he seems to have the right beats at the right time which melds in the music perfectly. NDV does it all and melds perfectly with the music, especially with the intricacy of BBT.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I love NDV’s playing, I feel he is a cross between Ringo Star and Phil Collins. I don’t know if people will get that, but Ringo may not have been the the speed demon of drumming compared to Phil, but he seems to have the right beats at the right time which melds in the music perfectly. NDV does it all and melds perfectly with the music, especially with the intricacy of BBT.
    I love Nick's playing and I definitely think he's very close to Phil Collins' style and feel. Not sure about Ringo though. There's a certain sloppy swing thing to Ringo that only certain drummers can do authentically where you'd swear it was Ringo. Nick's a versatile drummer so technically he can do just about anything so I'm talking about subtle things here but there's a sophistication and refinement to his playing that Ringo wouldn't have. It's hard to play sloppy and behind the beat when you're GREAT at playing in the pocket and closer to the grid. That said, the part of Phil that is Ringo-influenced is there because IMO Nick is probably as close as it gets to someone who can do most if not all of the things Phil could do with a similar feel. Chester could play Phil's parts in Genesis but his feel was always quite different (and that's why you can distinctly hear when Phil got behind the kit live... and not just because there were two drummers but because the groove and dynamics changed). So, I wouldn't say Nick's drumming is like a cross between Ringo and Phil. It's more like he's a cross between Phil and his own style.

Bump.

Any update on a release date? Looking forward to it.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Bump.

Any update on a release date? Looking forward to it.

Henry
    I know he's super busy with his many projects, so I'll just fill in with a few details until he drops by here to share all the info.

I get updates as a Kickstarter supporter for Static Blu-Ray DVD, but he also keeps us posted about other things.
    I don't know how he does it, juggling a lot of different musical related things all at once plus touring.
    His Facebook page for In Continium mentioned a October 2018 release date.
    Scroll down the page to his June 22nd post on FB for more details about the release.
    https://www.facebook.com/incontinuum...lk6iT4&fref=nf
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Thanks,

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Got the second installment on Bandcamp... Sweet... Second listen... First one promising...

And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...