Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Impact of Classical Music on Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    That's the real reason Pluto got downgraded. "Holst didn't write about it, so it can't be a real planet."

Actually Holst was kind of excused - ' The Planets was written between 1914 and 1916, but Pluto was discovered in 1930
    Holst ought to have made a small song about it later , because Pluto is now considerede the largest and second-most-massive known dwarf planet in the Solar System.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a serious discussion on the impact of "Bach" on progressive rock music. I can't think of a classical composer who was more influential upon the genre looking at the broader spectrum.

Steve Hackett Borrowed liberally here I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I dont see any new prog bands from the last 10 years being inspired by classical music. They are mostly listening to each other.
    Perhaps Yugen...

I tend to agree with this, for the most part. But I would take this practice back more to the 80's with all the original "neo prog" bands.

Where Banks was influenced by Ravel and Rachmaninoff, the neo bands, were mostly influenced by Genesis.

IMO, the most interesting classical influence on prog-rock, was classical from post WWII up through the contemporary era. Maybe starting with King Crimson, and their later Bartok and Stravinsky influences.

But, IMO, it got real interesting with the RIO or avant-prog bands, with their influences by classical by composers on the more avant-garde side. Aranis, Henry Cow, Thinking Plague, Univers Zero, etc, were obviously (to me) listening to: Verasee, Berg, Carter, Ligeti, etc.

I never much cared for prog bands interpretations of classical pieces, although I don't mind a classical quote in an otherwise original piece.

The only prog piece with an orchestra I really liked, was Banco's "Di Terra", and that one I really like! I think the reason is, is it comes of much more like the band and the orchestra are an integrated unit, instead of the orchestra sounding like an extended back up band.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I tend to agree with this, for the most part. But I would take this practice back more to the 80's with all the original "neo prog" bands.

Where Banks was influenced by Ravel and Rachmaninoff, the neo bands, were mostly influenced by Genesis.

IMO, the most interesting classical influence on prog-rock, was classical from post WWII up through the contemporary era. Maybe starting with King Crimson, and their later Bartok and Stravinsky influences.

But, IMO, it got real interesting with the RIO or avant-prog bands, with their influences by classical by composers on the more avant-garde side. Aranis, Henry Cow, Thinking Plague, Univers Zero, etc, were obviously (to me) listening to: Verasee, Berg, Carter, Ligeti, etc.

I never much cared for prog bands interpretations of classical pieces, although I don't mind a classical quote in an otherwise original piece.

The only prog piece with an orchestra I really liked, was Banco's "Di Terra", and that one I really like! I think the reason is, is it comes of much more like the band and the orchestra are an integrated unit, instead of the orchestra sounding like an extended back up band.
    My older sister had the Deep Purple concert with the London Philharmonic Orchestra. I remember it sounding awkward, even as an awkward kid. But years later I did come to enjoy it quite a bit. I was forced into classical music training as a youth which probably pushed me away from the genre but helped me appreciate it much more years later. Kinda how life goes.