Thread: Kansas 2018 US Tour

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Kansas 2018 US Tour

Because there is one!

Just bought tix to the Tarrytown, NY show in August. Can't not go to Kansas when they're playing nearby.

To mark the 20th anniversary of my initial honeymoon with the band, I did a Kansas binge last month. Though I was never much of a concertgoer, I now regret having not seen them when they came to Portland in the summer of 1998. At the time, the members were in my now-current age bracket and then-vocalist Walsh was still in good health.

I’ve only seen them a couple of times on recent tours, but certainly can enjoy a couple of hours of Kansas music played by the current version.

They are still calling some of the shows the Leftoverture 40th anniversary (might be some makeup dates), with the rest called "Kansas Radio Classics and Fan Favorites". I thought there were plans to do a POKR album anniversary tour this summer. Sounds more like a general hits tour. I saw 2 Leftoverture shows in the last few years, and those shows were full 2+ hour shows, with a lot of the new album and Leftoverture in full played of course. The "hits" shows are generally shorter, 90 minutes or so. Check their website. Disappointing if they are not doing the Point album in full.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-13-2018 at 06:02 PM.

^^^ I'm going to see 'em in Davenport IA in a few weeks. This show was re-scheduled from the fall and I think therefore they will be playing all of Leftoverture because this is what was promised in the fall. Very excited.
    Then Dixie Dregs in Des Moines a week later. Prog comes to Iowa!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ I'm going to see 'em in Davenport IA in a few weeks. This show was re-scheduled from the fall and I think therefore they will be playing all of Leftoverture because this is what was promised in the fall. Very excited.
    Then Dixie Dregs in Des Moines a week later. Prog comes to Iowa!
    If you build it, they will come......

I most likely will be walking out of the cornfields and doing the Dregs in Des Moines myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    They are still calling some of the shows the Leftoverture 40th anniversary (might be some makeup dates), with the rest called "Kansas Radio Classics and Fan Favorites". I thought there were plans to do a POKR album anniversary tour this summer. Sounds more like a general hits tour. I saw 2 Leftoverture shows in the last few years, and those shows were full 2+ hour shows, with a lot of the new album and Leftoverture in full played of course. The "hits" shows are generally shorter, 90 minutes or so. Check their website. Disappointing if they are not doing the Point album in full.
    I think they are planning to do POKR in 2019 from what I have read. There is a definite difference in length between the Leftoverture and Favorites tours. I was disappointed when seeing them last summer and we only got the 90 minute hits set.

I hope the Tarrytown show is a Leftoverture show, because last year I only saw them on CTTE so it wasn’t a full Leftoverture show.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I hope the Tarrytown show is a Leftoverture show, because last year I only saw them on CTTE so it wasn’t a full Leftoverture show.
    The website says its a hits show. I think the only Leftoverture shows are makeup dates for earlier cancelled shows. It looks like from some recent setlists it's still a pretty good setlist, but you won't get Journey from Mariabronn, Lamplight Symphony etc that they had been doing in the longer show.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-13-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Can't make it, but this would be a serious sentimental journey for me. I grew up in Davenport, and the venue they're playing, the Adler, was then known as the RKO Orpheum. I saw Kansas on the original Leftoverture tour there, in addition to many other classic acts back in the mid-late 70s. Hopefully some of that great energy is still floating around in the space, and the band taps into it and puts on a wonderful show for you!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

The real question is... will they auto-tune their live vocals?

<runs and ducks for cover>

The real question is... will they auto-tune their live vocals?
    Do you mean they've been doing that, or you wish they did?

Their recent "live" album had more than a little auto tuning. Whether it was in post production or was used live is up for debate.

Thanks for the reply. That's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Their recent "live" album had more than a little auto tuning. Whether it was in post production or was used live is up for debate.
    From what I've heard, the live vocals are natural and sound fine, which makes it weirder that there's so much auto tuning on the album.

Yeah, we were all scratching our heads over that one.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    From what I've heard, the live vocals are natural and sound fine
    That was my takeaway after seeing them a couple of times in the last year - and I paid more attention to how they sounded the second time because of the thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think they are planning to do POKR in 2019 from what I have read. There is a definite difference in length between the Leftoverture and Favorites tours. I was disappointed when seeing them last summer and we only got the 90 minute hits set.
    Same here. The band was fantastic, but I was expecting the Leftoverture set.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Kansas 2018 US Tour

At 7pm I suddenly remembered I had a ticket for tonight’s show in Tarrytown. A big storm was hitting just as I left - a few big trees down. But that just made parking easier. Made it in time for a couple of drinks and a chat with some other Kansas fanbois.

Last edited by JKL2000; 08-17-2018 at 11:51 PM.

If you build it, they will come......

I most likely will be walking out of the cornfields and doing the Dregs in Des Moines myself.
    The Dregs are still touring? Wow. I saw them in Sacramento a while back. Not bad. If you want to be in front of Morse and West, sit to the left of the theater. We sat all the way to the right, in the second row, and it wasn't so hot. Plus Rod was buried by his cymbals. Seeing him straight on would be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    The Dregs are still touring? Wow. I saw them in Sacramento a while back. Not bad. If you want to be in front of Morse and West, sit to the left of the theater. We sat all the way to the right, in the second row, and it wasn't so hot. Plus Rod was buried by his cymbals. Seeing him straight on would be much better.
    Well, that tour is over, already saw them.

Well, that tour is over, already saw them.
    D'oh!