Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cruise to the Edge (& the “On The Blue”) Cruises 2019

There will be 2-4 seated (the red/blue) theater acts (Yes and Hackett for sure) The rest are first come/served throughout the boat. Some venues are fairly small, though the pool stage can handle most or all of the passengers. The theater will also have some GA shows. Admittedly, not everyone will get great views for every show at every venue, but if you make even a little effort you will get good/great seats for most.

The bands do play opposite each other, though seldom starting and ending at the exact same time. Bands play two, sometimes three shows, so with very few exceptions you can catch them at least once. What most people do is figure out a priority list (must sees, etc) and work through how to see the ones they want most, and maybe figure out a few they don’t care about so if there are conflicts they can skip them. This was harder to do the two years with one less night, but thankfully they went back to five nights last year. This also helps with inevitable delays and rescheduling due to weather or other issues. That happens but, I find it far less concerning than some who think it should run like a regular indoor concert. They make announcements and have updated schedules.

Odds are there will be one or two bands you have to miss (or see just part of a show), but the nice thing is with so many bands, you get to pick your schedule. Some people get worked up about too many bands because they will miss some. However, the only way for everyone to see every show would be nothing but pool deck shows which would mean a ton of down time and way fewer acts. Never mind the inevitable rain day. I’d much rather make my own schedule out of a ton of bands. Heck, I’m always happy to find a few bands I can skip - particularly some bigger acts - because it makes it easier to see the rest. I will never understand the concept of wanting OTB to narrow the selection- I’d much rather have more bands and pick my own priorities.

I know I sound like a cheerleader and some others feel differently about it. But, this will be our fourth and I was uncertain I’d do even one. It is expensive, but each of the last couple of times we went we saw all or most of about 28 shows and I can’t wait to do it again.

A couple of things: don’t consider it a cruise. It is basically a floating festival and if typical cruise stuff is important, you will be disappointed most likely. We have yet to do a single excursion though we do get off the boat most stops, if only for a bit. The other thing is join the official Facebook community page if you go. It can sometimes be a bit annoying due to ridiculous passenger expectations (sorry), but that is the main way OTB puts out information throughout the year and a good way to find out more before going.

The previous poster just about covered everything I was going to say myself.
    I would add however that it is quite possible to do the tourist thing though as, on days in port, most excursions leave early to mid-morning and return before the shows commence (which is typically later on port days rather than "ship at sea" days).
    However, the longer excursions to sites further afield can mean you could miss out. For example in Belize last year we were keen to visit a Mayan ruin that we had not had chance to visit before and decided to go for it knowing that we would be leaving little time for error to get to our allocated Yes show that was starting at 4:45pm (why the headline act was performing at such a strange hour is beyond me but I digress).
    In the event the tour over-ran and/or the timings we were given for the tour didn't take into account the lengthy shuttle-boat trip back to the ship (unique to Belize). As a consequence we missed the first part of the show (which included a couple of songs I quite regretted missing).

As an example here's an events list I have for two of the days on the 2018 cruise:

SUNDAY• FEBRUARY 4th DAY AT SEA

Time Band/Event Location

9:45 am Steve Hackett Q&A Centrum
    10:00 am YES Q&A (Open Seating) Pacifica Theater
    10:15 am IO Earth Pool Stage
    11:00 am Photo Experience Steve Hackett l Marillion Haken l Thank You Scientist Viking Crown
    11:30 am Glass Hammer Q&A Centrum
    12:30 pm Dave Kerzner Q&A Centrum
    12:30 pm Bad Dreams Colony Club
    1:30 pm Saga Pool Stage
    2:30 pm Focus Centrum
    3:00 pm Knifeworld Colony Club
    3:00 pm Roie Avin & The Prog Report Present: Essential Modern Progressive Rock Albums Viking Crown
    4:45 pm Carl Palmer’s ELP Legacy Pool Stage
    5:00 pm Sons of Apollo Q&A Centrum
    5:00 pm Photo Experience Lifesigns l Eric Gillette Gong l Moon Safari Viking Crown
    5:00 pm Brook Hansen Schooner Bar
    5:00 pm YES RED GROUP Pacifica Theater
    6:30 pm Super Bowl Kick Off Pub
    7:00 pm John Wesley Centrum
    7:30 pm VIP Goody Bag Pick-Up (Bags must be picked up before 10:30 pm) Viking Crown
    8:00 pm Haken Pool Stage
    8:45 pm Martin Barre Colony Club
    9:30 pm McNally Waters Centrum
    10:00 pm Neal Morse (Open Seating) Pacifica Theater
    10:30 pm Brook Hansen Schooner Bar
    10:45 pm Dave Kerzner & Friends Pool Stage
    11:30 pm Late Night Live Colony Club
    12:00 am Karaoke with Brian & Izzy Viking Crown

MONDAY• FEBRUARY 5th BELIZE CITY, BELIZE

Time Band/Event Location

10:00 am Roger Dean Art Talk Pacifica Theater
    2:00 pm Eddie Trunk Live Radio Show Centrum
    3:30 pm Marillion Q&A Pool Stage
    4:45 pm YES BLUE GROUP Pacifica Theater
    5:15 pm Casey McPherson Centrum
    6:30 pm VIP Cocktail Party (VIP GUESTS ONLY) Colony Club
    6:30 pm Photo Experience Sons of Apollo l Glass Hammer Neal Morse Viking Crown
    6:30 pm Brook Hansen Schooner Bar
    7:00 pm Stick Men with David Cross Pool Stage
    7:00 pm Saga Q&A Centrum
    8:00 pm Gong Colony Club
    8:45 pm Enchant Q&A Centrum
    9:30 pm Cape Night Finals Pool Stage
    10:00 pm McNally Waters Centrum
    10:15 pm Adrian Belew Power Trio Pool Stage
    10:30 pm IO Earth Colony Club
    10:30 pm Heavy Mellow Schooner Bar
    10:45 pm Marillion RED GROUP Pacifica Theater
    11:30 pm Poolside Movie Night YES Songs Pool Stage
    11:45 pm Late Night Live Colony Club
    12:00 am Karaoke with Brian & Izzy Viking Crown

The length of each show isn't always obvious and can vary from as little as 30mins to 2+hours with the bigger names on the main stages getting the longer slots (obviously).
    Some bands will repeat the same setlist at both of their shows (Yes usually do), some might not repeat anything twice and others do a half/half mix - it's their choice but you will rarely find out in advance unless a band drops a hint during their first show.
    Usually the problem we have found most frustrating is choosing what to miss out on in order to grab an opportunity to eat!
    We don't usually do many Q&As and avoid the photo experiences/signings/VIP events/dressing up/karaoke but hey...everybody to their own!

Rachel Flowers has just joined the crew.

What's the feet factor like on these things? Are there a bunch of people who really have no business wearing open toed sandals wandering around? I have a pretty low tolerance for nasty looking feet in the vicinity of my prog music enjoyment.....

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    What's the feet factor like on these things? Are there a bunch of people who really have no business wearing open toed sandals wandering around? I have a pretty low tolerance for nasty looking feet in the vicinity of my prog music enjoyment.....
    DocProgger, asking the questions we were all too embarrassed to ask...

The most flesh I've seen on display at a let's-call-it-prog gig was System 7 at Glastonbury. (New thread?)

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Banned
    I'd like to go, but this is definitely out of the question for the wife and the kids so I'm not sure I want (or can) pay all that $ for a single cabin. Is there a sharing sign-up or anything?

I'm also a little worried if I'm being honest what it will be like - that it will be a bit of a weird crowd. The last cruise I went on (Carnival - never ever, ever again!) had a lot of folks that were ... how to put this ... totally bereft of erudition and refinement as was the ship itself for the most part. I'm thinking the predilection for relatively sophisticated music will tend to eliminate that situation. Also, do people bring their guitars and jam or trade songs? Do folks stay up late into the night drinking and talking music etc.? Are the people there for the music as opposed to "making the scene"? Is it wall-to-wall aging loudmouths covered in stubble and greasy long hair wearing black Neo-Prog band shirts stretched tightly over their enormous pot bellies? Will there be obnoxious fan-boys annoying the f*ck out of the poor musicians while I look on in disgust and regret being there or will there be ample opportunities to chat with musicians in a relaxed atmosphere who do not feel besieged i? Perhaps they just disappear as quickly as possible and hide in their suites...

Sorry if I sound like a snot, but I is what I am.

^^^^^^

“ Do folks stay up late into the night drinking and talking music etc.? Is it wall-to-wall aging loudmouths covered in stubble and greasy long hair wearing black Neo-Prog band shirts stretched tightly over their enormous pot bellies? Will there be obnoxious fan-boys annoying the f*ck out of the poor musicians while I look on in disgust...”

Does a bear shit in the woods?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

The bands/performers added today were
    • Rachel Flowers
    • Focus
    • Fernando Perdomo
    • HAKEN
    • Adrian Belew Power Trio
    • The Sea Within
    There is suppose to be one more band to be added.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

Does a bear shit in the woods?
    Well that's not very encouraging, but after all somebody with my attitude probably doesn't deserve encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Well that's not very encouraging, but after all somebody with my attitude probably doesn't deserve encouragement.
    You asked, bro.

We report / You decide.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'd like to go, but this is definitely out of the question for the wife and the kids so I'm not sure I want (or can) pay all that $ for a single cabin. Is there a sharing sign-up or anything?

I'm also a little worried if I'm being honest what it will be like - that it will be a bit of a weird crowd. The last cruise I went on (Carnival - never ever, ever again!) had a lot of folks that were ... how to put this ... totally bereft of erudition and refinement as was the ship itself for the most part. I'm thinking the predilection for relatively sophisticated music will tend to eliminate that situation. Also, do people bring their guitars and jam or trade songs? Do folks stay up late into the night drinking and talking music etc.? Are the people there for the music as opposed to "making the scene"? Is it wall-to-wall aging loudmouths covered in stubble and greasy long hair wearing black Neo-Prog band shirts stretched tightly over their enormous pot bellies? Will there be obnoxious fan-boys annoying the f*ck out of the poor musicians while I look on in disgust and regret being there or will there be ample opportunities to chat with musicians in a relaxed atmosphere who do not feel besieged i? Perhaps they just disappear as quickly as possible and hide in their suites...

Sorry if I sound like a snot, but I is what I am.
    1) Yes, there is a sharing sign-up. I'm personally sharing a cabin of 4 guys. In the past, I shared with 1. Check out the Facebook group "Find a cabinmate for Cruise To The Edge".
    2) There is a highly-organized "Late Night Live" where cruisers can sign up to play songs with each other on a stage with a sound tech and an audience. It's a lot of fun.
    3) Yes, many folks stay up late talking music. Some drinking, but not as much as a normal cruise.
    4) Not sure what "making the scene" would be, but the people there are what make it so much fun. It's a whole boat full of people who have similar (but not exactly the same) musical tastes as you. Some are old, some are young, and almost all are friendly. Some do tend to annoy the musicians, but overall the musicians themselves are also loving the experience. It's very common to end up in a small chat with a new band you just saw or even one of your idols. It sounds like you are respectful in which case you would probably be smart about striking a good balance.

It's the best experience.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Good answer, doh! I didn’t answer because I figured you’d do a better job than me.

Banned
    Thanks all for the answers. I'm very tempted - it does sound like fun, certainly a lot of good music should result. So I take it people do bring their guitars and whatever and informally play or do the "Late Night Live" thing? Great.

I didn't see a lot of informal playing. The main reason is that your schedule is SO full with non-stop and overlapping concerts. Most of those that want to play sign up for Late Night Live. While it is mostly amateurs, it is a high level of musicianship and even requires auditions.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I didn't see a lot of informal playing. The main reason is that your schedule is SO full with non-stop and overlapping concerts. Most of those that want to play sign up for Late Night Live. While it is mostly amateurs, it is a high level of musicianship and even requires auditions.
    Also involves participation of some members of the bands playing on the cruise.

It is a blast. We are doing our fourth and having taken a year off, I'm really stoked for it. I've never been on a regular cruise for a reason, but other than being on a boat, I don't think it resembles a regular cruise much at all. More like a floating music festival, though with somewhat more fluid staging and start/finish times due to the nature of being on a ship. It isn't for everyone and might not be for you if you need to be convinced or if seeing people talking to artists is going to bug you. The same goes for the artists - not every artist would enjoy the experience of being on board a boat and rubbing elbows with passengers. On the other hand, some clearly enjoy it quite a bit and from what I've experienced, it isn't that hard to figure out who to chat with and who to either say hi to briefly or simply leave alone. Of course, like anywhere, there are people who don't get that, but I think most people are pretty respectful of which artists are interested in hanging out and chatting over a cocktail (or otherwise) about anything - music or completely unrelated topics. Same thing goes for regular passengers - some really want to talk to anyone/everyone and others would just as soon stick to the people they are there with and not spend a bunch of time chit-chatting with strangers (I fall somewhere between the two in that at times I'm all for chatting with others, but other times I just want to be left alone to enjoy the music with people I already know).

I'm really happy with this lineup, which includes some bands I don't need to see and a whole bunch of must-see acts. I like being able to check a few off as not necessary because that makes the selections easier and it also (maybe) allows for a bit of a break here and there. I'm glad they are sticking with the extra night again this year. The first one we did was in 2014 and it was this length. Even with more acts, it should still be spread out enough to breath some. The next two we did 2015 and 2017 were one day less and it meant a ton of shows packed into less time. I enjoyed them both, but I liked the pacing of the first year a bit better.

Banned
    ...if seeing people talking to artists is going to bug you.
    Not at all, I am often one of them. You stated that most people are respectful which is to my point and encouraging. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You asked, bro.

We report / You decide.
    Lulz...on this...thread...anyhoo, I'm from Florida and don't have the disposable income to spend $2000+ for a prog cruise not including buying merchandise and enjoying a decent vacation ordering shrimp and lobster. Are there any good write-ups on the recent prog cruises here or on a blog? I'm interested in what kind of money people are spending on these trips.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_n_chucky View Post
    Lulz...on this...thread...anyhoo, I'm from Florida and don't have the disposable income to spend $2000+ for a prog cruise not including buying merchandise and enjoying a decent vacation ordering shrimp and lobster. Are there any good write-ups on the recent prog cruises here or on a blog? I'm interested in what kind of money people are spending on these trips.
    Certainly the greatest music experience of my life. I had a blast. You could probably get on board for about $1k via roommates. You don't have to spend anything once on board though. Food is provided. Alcohol is extra. You will likely want to buy something from the merch table as well.

Below is a link to my blog that I started but did not finish. Covers my first day on the boat.

http://alphastrands.com/cruise-edge-2017-day-one/

I did not go on last years. Hope to make it aboard this year.

Rick

Not at all, I am often one of them. You stated that most people are respectful which is to my point and encouraging. Thanks for the feedback.
    Cool - I had a couple of prog friends who were particularly snarky about anyone talking to artists when they found out I went. They weren't on the boat so they didn't get the vibe and as such didn't realize that for many of the artists, that is part of the gig (while others clearly - to me anyway - are less enthused about it). I'd guess this aspect is directly related to some not wanting to play a gig like this, which is completely reasonable. Every time Yes signs up again I'm always a bit surprised as it sure doesn't seem like Howe's cup of tea, though my (very understated) interaction with him was quite pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_n_chucky View Post
    You are already ahead of many of us who have to pay for flights and lodging in Florida. You can definitely get by for less than $2k if you have a roommate (or go to the find a roommate site). I'm with Rick in that it has been pretty amazing every time. Neither my roommate or I have lots of disposable income (we are definitely in the low end on this trip), but we pay the cruise off in installments and while the cost is definitely high, the value is excellent.

I know it's not what you go for, but for those who've been on regular cruises, how does the food on CTTE compare to other cruises you've been on?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Certainly the greatest music experience of my life. I had a blast. You could probably get on board for about $1k via roommates. You don't have to spend anything once on board though. Food is provided. Alcohol is extra. You will likely want to buy something from the merch table as well.

Below is a link to my blog that I started but did not finish. Covers my first day on the boat.

http://alphastrands.com/cruise-edge-2017-day-one/

I did not go on last years. Hope to make it aboard this year.
    Rick
    Awesome write-up, Rick! I'm kinda like you, have to travel alone if I really want to go to an event. I had a great friend Rick from Orlando back in the mid-90s that I met at a record show and schooled me on 70s prog. Used to borrow his CDs to get to listen to the classics! Went to my first Progday and later to a NEARfest, but haven't been to a prog festival in 15 years! I almost thought you were the same Rick...gotta see if he's still around, he's probably on the board.

It's a whole lot more fun going with people that are fans and geeking out on prog talk. I live in the Treasure Coast now (east coast) and will try to make some connects in Tampa soon as I go to medicine ceremonies. I wish they had a good train to go across the coast, Greyhound Bus sucks and I found out the Chinese bus lines are much better comfort and service.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    You are already ahead of many of us who have to pay for flights and lodging in Florida. You can definitely get by for less than $2k if you have a roommate (or go to the find a roommate site). I'm with Rick in that it has been pretty amazing every time. Neither my roommate or I have lots of disposable income (we are definitely in the low end on this trip), but we pay the cruise off in installments and while the cost is definitely high, the value is excellent.
    That's cool, I'm more into nature and outdoor festivals, so Progday is more of my budget. I like to roam around a festival or find fellow tokers to get a good buzz and listen to music (not a fan of alcohol at all). Or drop some magic mushrooms to make things extra groovy.

Just found about this one, and Zen Festival 2015 was awesome, 2018 is more of my scene although I rather see prog-related or jazz fusion type bands.

2018 Orange Blossom Jamboree (Event)
    Dates: May 16, 2018 – May 19, 2018
    http://www.orangeblossomjamboree.com/

A LIFE CHANGING TRANSFORMATIONAL, MUSIC AND ARTS FESTIVAL

Zen Awakening Festival- November 16th, 17th and 18th, 2018 in Orlando Florida, is a transformational, music and arts festival. features over 150 DJ’s, Bands, 50 Yoga Classes, Meditation, 25 foot Water Slide, Suspended Tent Village, 100 Acres of Nature, Hiking & Biking Trails, Cirque Performers, Fire and Flow Artists, Drum Circle, Over 100 Workshops, Healing Sanctuary, Workshops, Themed Campsites, Kirtan, Camping, Organic Food Vendors and MORE!

http://www.zenawakeningfestival.com/

P.S. If any Floridians are in S.FL up to Central FL and would like to meet-n-greet for future events, send me a PM