Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 119

Thread: Cruise to the Edge (& the On The Blue) Cruises 2019

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    91

    Cruise to the Edge (& the On The Blue) Cruises 2019

    Initial details of the next CTTE are due later this month although it is known that it will again be on Royal Caribbeans Brilliance of the Seas sailing out of Tampa for 5 nights between 4 and 9 February 2019.

    What will be different in 2019 is that there will not be a Moody Blues Cruise and instead the inaugural On the Blue cruise has been organised on Royal Caribbeans Mariner of the Seas sailing out of Miami for 5 nights between 10 and 15 February 2019.

    Two of the Moody Blues are still involved though: John Lodge is the first artist to be officially confirmed for CTTE whilst Justin Heywood will headline the OTB cruise.

    Of particular note is that the organisers are expecting that there will be a potential audience interested in going on both cruises and consequently options to do so (including travel from Tampa to Miami) are due to be advertised.

    In 2014 my wife and I went on back-to-back Moody Blues/CTTE cruises and we werent the only ones to do so which demonstrates that there may well be some interest. Travelling to Florida for a 4/5 night cruise is not practical for us so we have always combined our other CTTE visits with a regular holiday elsewhere in the region. 10 nights of cruising/music is right up our street so we are up for taking the bait.

    The On the Blue cruise will certainly be prog-friendly and like previous Moody Blues Cruises will include artists at the more popular end of the prog spectrum. Artists announced so far include: Steve Hackett, The Zombies, Dave Mason, Alan Parsons, Procol Harem, Al Stewart, Wishbone Ash, The Orchestra, Poco, Vanilla Fudge, Colin Blunstone, Danny Seraphine (Chicago), Rick Derringer, Randy Hansen and The Young Dubliners.

    As happened in 2014, there may well be some artists appearing on both cruises.

    For further details see http://onthebluecruise.com

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    91
    First CTTE artists announced today:
    Yes (obviously)
    Steve Hackett (not surprising somehow)
    John Lodge (as mentioned above)
    Brand X
    Frost
    Soft Machine
    PFM
    Riverside
    Airbag
    Electric Asturias
    Mike Portnoy
    Jordan Rudess
    In Continuum (see Squids' thread)
    Magic Pie

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    First CTTE artists announced today:
    Yes (obviously)
    Steve Hackett (not surprising somehow)
    John Lodge (as mentioned above)
    Brand X
    Frost
    Soft Machine
    PFM
    Riverside
    Airbag
    Electric Asturias
    Mike Portnoy
    Jordan Rudess
    In Continuum (see Squids' thread)
    Magic Pie
    Also, Gazpacho was announced yesterday, though they don't seem to be on the current banner.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    279
    Somewhat odd choices this year IMO, first off the cruises are consecutive (one day apart), some people with jobs don't have the luxury of disappearing for 11 or 12 days at a time. CTTE starts in Tampa, afterwards you'd fly to Miami the following day for OTB, different ships, different ports. In killing the MB Cruise they have split the MB's so there will be MB music on both cruises, John Lodge on CTTE, Justin Hayward on OTB, I know which I'd choose were I a MB fan (I am). Steve Hackett is on both cruises, OTB has Dave Mason, Procol Harum (nice!), Alan Parsons, The Zombies, The Orchestra, Al Stewart, Wishbone Ash, Vanilla Fudge, Rick Derringer, et al, I have to choose one and it looks like it's gonna be OTB for me.

  5. #5
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,218
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Somewhat odd choices this year IMO, first off the cruises are consecutive (one day apart), some people with jobs don't have the luxury of disappearing for 11 or 12 days at a time. CTTE starts in Tampa, afterwards you'd fly to Miami the following day for OTB, different ships, different ports. In killing the MB Cruise they have split the MB's so there will be MB music on both cruises, John Lodge on CTTE, Justin Hayward on OTB, I know which I'd choose were I a MB fan (I am). Steve Hackett is on both cruises, OTB has Dave Mason, Procol Harum (nice!), Alan Parsons, The Zombies, The Orchestra, Al Stewart, Wishbone Ash, Vanilla Fudge, Rick Derringer, et al, I have to choose one and it looks like it's gonna be OTB for me.
    I read they're going to have buses arranged from Tampa to Miami. Seems crazy to me, but I guess they get a lot of people from outside the US who want to be on a longer vacation, and also a lot of people from in the US who can just do it and want to.

  6. #6
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    1,111
    Well, we're getting to the point where the target audience for these things are a lot of retired people. Quite a few probably already live in Florida. So the time sink and travel may not be as restrictive as one might assume.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Well, we're getting to the point where the target audience for these things are a lot of retired people. Quite a few probably already live in Florida. So the time sink and travel may not be as restrictive as one might assume.
    God's Waiting Room?

  8. #8
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,372
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    God's Waiting Room?
    Purgatory.

  9. #9
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,218
    I know a few people who go to all of these, two cruises in a row, etc. and I don't think any of them are retired, and they come from the West Coast, East Coast, England, Canada, etc. I've been on two, not retired, not in Florida. I do know people who go who live in Naples, FL., but not retired.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    91
    I won't repeat what I said in my original post but to clarify:

    If you live "locally" (Florida/South East USA) then, in 2019, you have two music cruises to choose from: CTTE and OTB which could be described as Prog-heavy and Prog-lite respectively.

    The bonus here is the potential for travellers (like myself) to get a 2-cruise fix which helps to justify the cost of crossing the Atlantic (providing that you are interested in the line-ups!).

    This hasn't been the case since 2014 when CTTE followed immediately after the MB cruise. In that year we were able to stay on-board and in the same cabin for the full 10 days!
    It won't be quite as convenient this year but at least transfers from Tampa to Miami are being organised for anyone interested.

    In 2014 there were a number of artists who also appeared on both cruises - I suspect that Steve Hackett's band won't be the only one doing the same in 2019.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I know a few people who go to all of these, two cruises in a row, etc. and I don't think any of them are retired, and they come from the West Coast, East Coast, England, Canada, etc. I've been on two, not retired, not in Florida. I do know people who go who live in Naples, FL., but not retired.
    We've been on 8 of them, 4 each of the MB/CTTE, was on both a few months ago but owning my own biz and not being retired (I'm 64) I suffer a near nervous breakdown when I come home after missing at the most 5 days (usually 4) getting my desk in order, a 10 day absence would most probably put me in the morgue.

  12. #12
    Forget the lineups and the music, for the amount of dough they charge, they're better be a darn good selection of scrambled eggs for breakfast!!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Forget the lineups and the music, for the amount of dough they charge, they're better be a darn good selection of scrambled eggs for breakfast!!
    Not only do they have a selection you can even have them make an omelette to order!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    We've been on 8 of them, 4 each of the MB/CTTE, was on both a few months ago but owning my own biz and not being retired (I'm 64) I suffer a near nervous breakdown when I come home after missing at the most 5 days (usually 4) getting my desk in order, a 10 day absence would most probably put me in the morgue.
    I get that. I'm self-employed and while I used to take somewhat longer vacations, I had a partner at the time. It is just me now and most of my vacationing is done at our cabin where I work a fair amount (or at least can deal with stuff that comes up if necessary). I do like getting out of contact for a week, but that morning when you are sitting at breakfast is time to scroll through the emails and hope to heck nothing bad went down...a bit nervously.

  15. #15
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    We've been on 8 of them, 4 each of the MB/CTTE, was on both a few months ago but owning my own biz and not being retired (I'm 64) I suffer a near nervous breakdown when I come home after missing at the most 5 days (usually 4) getting my desk in order, a 10 day absence would most probably put me in the morgue.
    I got dibs on the eulogy!

  16. #16
    Member doh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    231
    District 97, Pendragon and Baraka announced today. Hooray for Jonathan and crew!
    Last edited by doh; 03-20-2018 at 05:21 PM.

  17. #17
    Member District97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    District 97, Pendragon and Baraka announced today. Hooray for Jonathan and crew!
    Thanks! Really looking forward to being back.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I got dibs on the eulogy!
    Kirk's Nosehair beat you to it.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    91
    The latest announced line-up now looks something like this:

    Yes
    Steve Hackett
    John Lodge
    Brand X
    Frost
    Soft Machine
    PFM
    Riverside
    Airbag
    Electric Asturias
    Mike Portnoy
    Jordan Rudess
    In Continuum
    Magic Pie
    Fish
    Baraka
    UniKuE
    Alan Hewitt’s One Nation
    Enchant
    Marbin
    IO Earth
    David Cross Band

    Oddly while additional bands are being announced for CTTE2019, there haven't been any recent additions to the OTB line-up.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    The latest announced line-up now looks something like this:

    Yes
    Steve Hackett
    John Lodge
    Brand X
    Frost
    Soft Machine
    PFM
    Riverside
    Airbag
    Electric Asturias
    Mike Portnoy
    Jordan Rudess
    In Continuum
    Magic Pie
    Fish
    Baraka
    UniKuE
    Alan Hewitts One Nation
    Enchant
    Marbin
    IO Earth
    David Cross Band

    Oddly while additional bands are being announced for CTTE2019, there haven't been any recent additions to the OTB line-up.
    If memory serves, the Modies cruises have had fewer artists than CTTE, maybe the OTB will be similar that way.

    Im quite happy with this lineup for CTTE. Of course there are some favorites Id swap in if given the chance, but one thing I like is having different styles represented, even if some arent my thing, so this works well for me. Glad we decided to go again.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    Frost
    Welp, sign me up.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    91
    If I recall correctly there were about 28 acts on CTTE2018 (which, like 2019, was also a 5-night cruise).
    So far there are 22 listed for CTTE2019 so we could possibly expect another 6 acts to be confirmed.
    The 2019 line-up only has 2 Headliners IMHO (Yes & SH) and its quite likely that a 3rd has yet to be announced (this has been common practice in previous years).
    BTW my definition of "headline act" here is an artist who will require the application of the usual red/blue seating arrangements in the theatre.
    I can only speculate but it would be nice to see Marillion (yet again)(especially with the opportunity for Fish to guest on a song or two).

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    230
    Marillion isn't on the boat because of their fan weekends next year. That isn't happening.

    They may add one more "headliner" but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't and either just used the theater a lot more for other acts or labeled one of the existing acts a headliner. Portnoy would certainly count, but I get the feeling he is a pool deck act like in the past. I wouldn't mind the first alternative and just use the theater once a day for blue/pink shows with the rest being GA shows.

  24. #24
    Pondering whether to do this for 2019...

    As I haven't been to a Cruise to the Edge (or any cruise) previously, could someone explain how the band scheduling / timing generally works.

    Are bands on simultaneously on different stages (so inevitably will miss at least half of the shows?) and how does the timing work with the stop-overs in the ports - do the gigs continue on the ship whilst in port, so that "doing the tourist bit" means missing some shows?

    Also, what is red/blue seating and the blue/pink shows that you mention?

    Cheers...

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by zzorchering View Post
    Also, what is red/blue seating and the blue/pink shows that you mention?
    The main theatre on the ship can't hold everyone at once, so for the big acts, they'll do two shows and attendees are allocated tickets to one or other of these, so a 'red' or a 'blue' show.

    Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •