Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jordsjo: Any fans, thoughts etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I personally like Wobbler a bit better, but I like Jordsjo better than either Malady or Tuskmorke.
    The reason why Jordsjø are frequently mentioned alongside both Wobbler and Tusmørke is the fact that there are member-swaps between all three bands. None of them are aiming for the same sound, they're simply trying to do their own thing. Which is more than what can be said of some far more (relatively) 'acknowledged' acts in so-called progressive rock nowadays.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The reason why Jordsjø are frequently mentioned alongside both Wobbler and Tusmørke is the fact that there are member-swaps between all three bands. None of them are aiming for the same sound, they're simply trying to do their own thing. Which is more than what can be said of some far more (relatively) 'acknowledged' acts in so-called progressive rock nowadays.
    Nobody mentioned any shared members in recommending Malady and Tuskmorke to Jordsko fans. The implication was they are similar musically, and I was just saying I thought the similarities were limited.

Yes, they're all "doing their own thing" to an extent. But to me, Malady and Tuskmorke, are plowing just as well-trodden ground as Jordsko and Wobbler. That retro/proto/psych thing is done to death. Malady and Tuskmorke might be good examples of the style, I wouldn't really know as that isn't much my thing. But they are no more "original" than others operating in other styles. Which is not a knock on them, I could care less. But I disagree that their approach is somehow "superior" to better known bands operating in Prog Rock today. To me, they're the same, they just ape a different bunch of 70s bands.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Nobody mentioned any shared members in recommending Malady and Tuskmorke to Jordsko fans. The implication was they are similar musically, and I was just saying I thought the similarities were limited.
    Bill, listen. It's important that you listen, Bill. Nobody said that anybody mentioned any shared members in recommending Malakse and Tuksemop to Jokso fans. It was simply an additional point. But you said that I said that they said that. And I didn't say that they said that, 'cause they didn't.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I like Tusmorke, but found it difficult to be positive about their last album Bydyra . I am hoping that Fjernsyn i farver will be a return to their more usual style.

Bill, listen. It's important that you listen, Bill. Nobody said that anybody mentioned any shared members in recommending Malakse and Tuksemop to Jokso fans. It was simply an additional point. But you said that I said that they said that. And I didn't say that they said that, 'cause they didn't.
    LOL! OK. I hear you. I thought, "The reason why Jordsjø are frequently mentioned alongside both Wobbler and Tusmørke is the fact that there are member-swaps between all three bands" was implying just that, but if I misunderstood then that's cool.

Cheers!

Bill

Alright. Thanks for clearing that up! Also, if anyone was interested in hearing more Jordsjo, the first two albums are available as free downloads on bandcamp (or pay whatever you like).

neil

Hey Neil thanks for that info about the downloads. I will for sure pay them some money for their efforts and look forward to the music.

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Wobbler, I was listening to that the other day and find it quite good, though having only one spin I cannot comment too much on it. And just how new is their latest offering, the name escapes my old tired mind at the moment

Speaking of that, I wonder whatever happened to Viima? Two very fine releases from them as well.
    Viima! Dude! I forgot all about them. Kept meaning to pick up one of their CDs after hearing some really positive remarks, and I just never did. I wonder if they’re still available...

Looks like they’re on Apple Music, so at least there’s that option if there are no more CDs.

Thanks for the reminder, Richard.

Which also reminds me, I really should retrieve my vinyl copy of the latest Wobbler and listen to it on my turntable here. Scotch and Norwegian symphonic rock is a killer combination.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Scotch and Norwegian symphonic rock is a killer combination.
    Yupz, I'm doing that this upcoming weekend. And then, at 20:00 on Saturday, there's Elephant9 live at Victoria some 15 minutes walk from my apartment. Yee-haw.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yupz, I'm doing that this upcoming weekend. And then, at 20:00 on Saturday, there's Elephant9 live at Victoria some 15 minutes walk from my apartment. Yee-haw.
    Oh shit, have a good time at that. Livestream it! Just looked, I thought Reine Fiske was a full member but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I thought Reine Fiske was a full member but I guess not.
    I'll quote an acquaintance of mine concerning Fiske: "I doubt if he'll ever be 'permanent' at anything!" Not to downplay the guy's immense talents, but seriously; given more of a pragmatic and self-disciplined handling of career and disparate inputs, Fiske could have been one of the truly significant names of his generation's axemen from Northern Europe. His musikal imprints are really that personal and memorable.

Peculiarly, the brand new (and Fiske-less) E9 on Rune Grammofon is arguably the most 'proggy-prog' thing they've done, at least since that awesome debut a near-decade back. Ståle Storløkken is unquestionably the single finest keysman I know of some proficiency in today's (progressive) rock music, whether it's with E9 or Supersilent or Humcrush or Motorpsycho or what may. And with the other two lads on fire as well, Saturday should be scorching. 'N Scotching.

Interesting that Reine Fiske's name pops up in the conversation, because when listening to Jordsjo & Malady, both bands remind me more of Landberk than Anglagard

Wobbler, OTOH, is definitely more Anglagardian... (even the latest one)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by HONDO View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on the new Wobbler, I was listening to that the other day and find it quite good, though having only one spin I cannot comment too much on it. And just how new is their latest offering, the name escapes my old tired mind at the moment
    From Silence To Somewhere is amazing, I had it as my #1 album of 2017 but I love retro Prog.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by HONDO View Post
    There were two pretty substantial threads on the new Wobbler, From Silence to Somewhere, which was released in roughly October of 2017:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...hlight=wobbler

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...hlight=wobbler

In a nutshell, a lot of people like it a lot, some don't like it much. I'm in the middle. I think it's OK, but not a masterpiece and could have been made a bit more interesting at times with a little more thought and intricacy in some sections. Plenty of retro sound, but not so much in the retro substance department, imo. But you'll find 18,000 other opinions in those two threads. Happy reading.

Bill

Good man. That sounds like a recipe for a great time! I’ve never seen Elephant9, but can only imagine it must be a lot of fun (even without Fiske in the group). I’ll expect a full report upon your return, Mr. Richard.

This evening I’m actually finally spinning that 2017 remixed Unfold the Future blue vinyl by the Flower Kings (not Norwegian, I know), while drinking some Glenmorangie Bacalta. What are you planning on listening to and drinking this weekend?

I am planning to sacrifice a couple of virgins and drink their blood, while listening to something joyful like Comus or UZ Heresie...

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I am planning to sacrifice a couple of virgins and drink their blood, while listening to something joyful like Comus
    Did you already hear Ill Wicker from Sweden? Halfway between Comus, Incredible String Band and Principal Edwards, sometimes very dark without becoming animated at that.

Nothing like Heresie, though...

Did you already hear Ill Wicker from Sweden? Halfway between Comus, Incredible String Band and Principal Edwards, sometimes very dark without becoming animated at that.

Thanks for the heads up SS. I will make an exception to the rule here and I'll tell you that I know them - via Spyros. Really cool, dark, nordic stuff. Maybe it's time I buy, I've seen their latest in vinyl in the local store.

Spinning Jord again for the 3rd time, starting to grow on me, I really like Jord II, although the album in a whole is quite good, not great but definitely worth the time spent exploring this. Scrotum and you other guys have put down a whole world for me to explore, thanks, I cannot wait. Time and curiousity is all that is needed. It is so wonderful how one find leads to another. This never ceases to amaze me and this is the essence of the thing we know and love as PROG... Further we shall go.

I'll second the recommendation for Ill Wicker. Both albums are great and refer exactly to the influences mentioned above.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Gagliarchives just played a Jordsjo song on their top 100 of 2017 show (so from Jord I assume). I missed the introduction to the song, and I was amazed at how much it sounded like classic Anglagard or something similar. I'd heard the song before, but only a couple of times, and it sounded instantly familiar, and great!

^^^^ Sweet Dr Z, I am glad he put that in his list, not sure where I would place it in my list??

I file it under the category "Comfort Prog". It's not pushing any envelopes at all but it's very well composed, arranged, played and produced. A very pleasant and enjoyable listen.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet