Thread: Nels Cline 4, coming soon! (Featuring Julian Lage)

Nels Cline 4, coming soon! (Featuring Julian Lage)

A commenter on youtube described it as "King Crimson playing Thelonious Monk". Not too far off.

The album comes out next month. I was first introduced to Nels Cline via his work with Wilco, but his solo work is sticking to my ribs more than any of Jeff Tweedy's compositions from the past decade. Thank God those Wilco tours are funding projects like this.

Sounds like an Autobuy. I will see Cline in 2 weeks a couple of times.
    That would be a Killer lineup. Maybe some pre release leaking will be available.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Nice. Thanks for the heads up.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Sweet!.
    Thanks for the H.U.!!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Interesting that, while absolutely standard in rock, a Beatles line-up like this has always been rare in jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Interesting that, while absolutely standard in rock, a Beatles line-up like this has always been rare in jazz.
    Yeah, true. I was thinking that something seemed strange as I watched, and couldn't figure it out other than me not being familiar with Lage's electric playing.

I think Cline considers this a "rock" project rather than a "jazz" project, but I always categorize his stuff as jazz in my own brain. As dumb as those categorizations are for me, it certainly helps the brain to organize things.

Sorry to spam the thread with videos, but here's a more expansive view of what this group does.

(Great sound for an audience recording.)

I generally buy most everything Cline releases and this will be no exception. Sounding good!

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I think Cline considers this a "rock" project rather than a "jazz" project, but I always categorize his stuff as jazz in my own brain.
    He's got a jazz drummer, a jazz bassist - on upright yet - and a second guitarist who mainly plays jazz. I don't think he'd hire those specific guys if he wanted something that sounded more like rock, and he certainly knows enough first-class players of both genres.

One other jazz group with that lineup: Marc Ribot's Young Philadelphians: Mary Halvorson and Marc Ribot on guitars, Jamaaladeen Tacuma on bass, G. Calvin Weston on drums. More of an R&B/jazz project, but still the same "Beatles" roster.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    He's got a jazz drummer, a jazz bassist - on upright yet - and a second guitarist who mainly plays jazz. I don't think he'd hire those specific guys if he wanted something that sounded more like rock, and he certainly knows enough first-class players of both genres.

One other jazz group with that lineup: Marc Ribot's Young Philadelphians: Mary Halvorson and Marc Ribot on guitars, Jamaaladeen Tacuma on bass, G. Calvin Weston on drums. More of an R&B/jazz project, but still the same "Beatles" roster.
    Yeah...definitely sounds more jazzy overall than rocky (admittedly a lot of that is one the upright bass and guitar tones). Not that that matters of course. And not getting the KC playing Monk vibe, but I'm liking it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.