Thread: Most exciting St. Catharines rock drummer since Neil Peart??

Lino

Most exciting St. Catharines rock drummer since Neil Peart??

A cheesy way to get you to watch a couple minutes of crappy space rock from my band? Nahhhh. I've played with him regularily for the last 2 years and he's a marvel to watch every single time. I believe he IS the most exciting rock drummer from this town since Neil Peart. Just a total improv jam around a song we're working in to the rotation. The fun starts about a minute in. peace

you lads look like you're having a right blast...very cool Lino

Lino
    Thanks Dave. Ya we really are having a blast. It would have to be to keep 8 musicians going at it religeously for 2 years straight now. lol The above is just fuckin around really, we have tons of proper songs down pat...I just clipped that to show *some* of our drummer's chops. His relentless energy is mind boggling to the older guys in the band...he's a machine. I've seen enough big league drummers up close and personal in my life to know a real deal when I see one. The kid is gold, and could play with any rock band. Our good fortune is that this is the only drumming he really cares to do. His main focus is his solo work -singer/guitarist - and he gigs pretty regularilly around town either on his own, or as a duo with one of our guitarists. he's got so much talent you just wanna slap him out. :-P

Pretty cool, Lino. Sounds a bit like Astra's weirder moments!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Lino
    Wow, Astra must be really cool! j/k Like I said, the vid is just totally fuckin around. When we try to add a new song to the repetoire, we just keep jamming it weekly till we find what we think works. We been messin with that one for 2 months now and haven't played it the same way twice yet. lol You live close enough ...maybe some day you can come and check out the real deal when we do a gig here in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Wow, Astra must be really cool! j/k Like I said, the vid is just totally fuckin around. When we try to add a new song to the repetoire, we just keep jamming it weekly till we find what we think works. We been messin with that one for 2 months now and haven't played it the same way twice yet. lol You live close enough ...maybe some day you can come and check out the real deal when we do a gig here in town.
    I'm not playing currently, but I'm getting the itch again. After the last (bad) band breakup I was so disgusted with band politics I quit playing almost completely. As I detailed here at PE back when it happened, we had a recording session interrupted by a gun-wielding psycho at the studio door. Turned out our lead singer was having an affair with the guy's wife, which stunned all of us. Nobody had any idea. He had hired her to take some band pictures, we thought that was the extent of their relationship. And he was married as well. Dude threatened to shoot Lead Singer if he didn't end it immediately. Then Lead Singer dude refused to end it, which endangered all our lives, as we saw it. His overall douchy, arrogant attitude was already wearing thin...such as insisting on recording his vocals all alone in studio with none of us present...then he would change the lyrics someone else in the band had written. Nothing pisses people off more than being invited to hear the first mix of a song they wrote, only to find that the lead singer changed the lyrics and added himself in as co-writer...without saying a word to the rest of the band or putting it to a vote.

But you can never really quit...the itch comes back!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

You play, Lino?

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I'm not playing currently, but I'm getting the itch again. After the last (bad) band breakup I was so disgusted with band politics I quit playing almost completely. As I detailed here at PE back when it happened, we had a recording session interrupted by a gun-wielding psycho at the studio door. Turned out our lead singer was having an affair with the guy's wife, which stunned all of us. Nobody had any idea. He had hired her to take some band pictures, we thought that was the extent of their relationship. And he was married as well. Dude threatened to shoot Lead Singer if he didn't end it immediately. Then Lead Singer dude refused to end it, which endangered all our lives, as we saw it. His overall douchy, arrogant attitude was already wearing thin...such as insisting on recording his vocals all alone in studio with none of us present...then he would change the lyrics someone else in the band had written. Nothing pisses people off more than being invited to hear the first mix of a song they wrote, only to find that the lead singer changed the lyrics and added himself in as co-writer...without saying a word to the rest of the band or putting it to a vote.

But you can never really quit...the itch comes back!
    hahahaha, that's to much! lol There's no bs with us, but we're just in it for fun. We jam like crazy, and we play gigs when we want to (as long as it's convenient for all 8 guys). It's different I'm sure for bands that are trying to write and record music. The crazy part is that we had 4 older guys who wanted to space jam around Hawkwind themes...we're livin the dream, floating away, playing the shit we love so much. None of the 4 "kids" had ever heard Hawkwind or space rock. They're all Tool, Mars Volta, Pearl Jam, Chilli Pepper kinda guys lol We just recruited them to come jam and now they love it more than us. lol To them, it's ALL new, all like our own songs...they push to play gigs more than us lol. One of our guitarists says "hey man, space rock is gonna be big some day..." It's like a wild new discovery that's blowin their minds

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    You play, Lino?
    Geeez Sean, and all this time I figured you just thought I sucked. And you still may be right!
    But anyway, ya, my cousin started this space rock band and asked me to play sax. I had taken it in high school, but other than a few months of jamming with him about 20 years ago, I hadn't touched it since high school. But as it morphed in to this Hawkwind tribute kinda gig, I started playing mostly synths. I worked at it quite a bit, countless hours, untill I got the appropriate spacey Hawkwind sounds down...it's really what i like doing best now, but I still have to break out the sax for about a quarter of our songs. Our band has jammed religeously once or twice a week for 2 years now. I'm working at both things as often as i can spare the time now because there really is NO experience in the world like being in the middle of a full blown live sonic assault. I swear, I have to pinch myself every time. Orgasmic. And our gigs have been really well recieved. The most fun thing I've ever done.

Are you guys coming back to This Ain't Hollywood?

Lino
    Hi Robin!! ya, we're working on that right now.
    Hope all is well with you Robin, hope to see you again soon!

Great stuff Lino - keep it all up !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    You play, Lino?

Did you watch the video? :P
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Lino
    ya, don't know how he didn't recognize my right hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    ya, don't know how he didn't recognize my right hand!

You know that the "Hawks" ain't my cup of meat, but I agree that your drummer smokes!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Cool Lino. You hate Rush/Peart.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Cool stuff Lino.Seeing this reminds me of countless times i hung out in my friends basement studio listening to his band rehearse/jam/record.

Sounds like big fun.(Space) Rock On.!
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

There was a club in St Catherines called Pure Platinum that my customers would take me to when I called on Buffalo years ago - that was clearly the most exciting thing in St Catherines as far as I could tell

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

You know that the "Hawks" ain't my cup of meat
    Still I'll send this little snippet out to you.

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    There was a club in St Catherines called Pure Platinum that my customers would take me to when I called on Buffalo years ago - that was clearly the most exciting thing in St Catherines as far as I could tell

BG
    ...and that's the way we like it!