Thread: Marillion front row club

Marillion front row club

I’m trying to pick up some good Marillion live shows. Does anyone have recommendations for the beat recording of each tour? I noticed quite a lot of download shows in their front row club. Which ones are really good?

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    I’m trying to pick up some good Marillion live shows. Does anyone have recommendations for the beat recording of each tour? I noticed quite a lot of download shows in their front row club. Which ones are really good?
    Anything with Fish. There aren't that many. They may be limited to the Early Stages and Curtain Call box. I've listened to that 1/26/88 Milan show more than is probably healthy.

I also enjoy 5/29/97 Utrecht, 11/9/98 Dieburg and 10/8/04 Philly....

I don't know know what the best shows of each tour are as I've not heard all of them. I doubt they would ever make sub-par show available though.

I've always chosen them based on the set to making sure there are only one or two songs that I'm not into per set. But that's just me.

The only one I've heard is Philadelphia 2004. The sound quality is that of a rough audience boot, but the performance does live up to the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    The only one I've heard is Philadelphia 2004. The sound quality is that of a rough audience boot, but the performance does live up to the hype.
    I was at there and that show is pretty amazing.

These are not professionally mixed releases usually they are just taken from the soundboard warts and all.

ive recommended it before and will again bootleg box II is a real nice overview of the early years with Hogarth. really what got me into that era of the band.

Their official bandcamp entry has a lot of their shows so you could give them a listen there.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Not an FRC show but I highly recommend the Racket release called “Mirrors.” It’s from the Sunday night at the 2005 weekend in Minehead, and was a night of mellower songs. It’s one of the reissues coming out in May. Also featured on the Bootleg Butlins DVD. Check out this setlist:

Songs / Tracks Listing
    Disc 1 - 43:31
    1. Born to Run (5:51)
    2. A Collection (3:24)
    3. Now She'll Never Know (4:32)
    4. The Space (4:05)
    5. Brave (8:00)
    6. Faith (3:56)
    7. One Fine Day (5:56)
    8. House (7:47)

Total Time 43:31

Disc 2 - 43:03
    1. Enlightened (4:41)
    2. Estonia (8:28)
    3. After Me (3:14)
    4. When I Meet God (10:16)
    5. A Few Words for the Dead (10:13)
    6. Made Again (6:11)

Total Time: 86:34

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I highly recommend the Racket release called “Mirrors.”
    That's a good one, though I rarely want that much of the mellow stuff all in a row without at least something breaking it up. For all that people complain about too much stuff being mid-tempo, even one or two of those tunes would have been a nice jolt in this set. Still, each individual Mirrors track is a damn good performance, even if I play Smoke a whole lot more often.

I have the first 40 Front Row Club CDs. I stopped buying when they went download only.

My favourite is still FRC-007, recorded on the Holidays In Eden tour in Europe. I highly recommend that to anyone who isn't stuck in a rut with a "Fish or nothing" mentality.

#7 was on my list of possibilities to check out...thanks. As well as Philly 2004.

I was also looking at #27, 25, 24 and 14. What are your thoughts on those?

thanks for all the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    Their official bandcamp entry has a lot of their shows so you could give them a listen there.
    Plus if you purchase any shows you can download them as FLAC, I think their web site only offers MP3 for most (if not all) of the shows:

https://marillionofficial.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    Plus if you purchase any shows you can download them as FLAC, I think their web site only offers MP3 for most (if not all) of the shows:

That's weird. I wonder why they would only offer 256kbps on their official page but offer FLAC on their bandcamp page. I wonder if anyone has run those FLAC downloads through software to see if they truly are FLAC?

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post

Awesome, thanks!

Yes, they are clearly FLAC you can hear it in the higher frequencies (cymbals) vs. the MP3 versions. I actually bought a couple MP3 shows from their site a long time ago and replaced them with the FLAC versions when they put them up on Bandcamp. They're not re-encoded MP3s. I believe when you upload your music to Bandcamp you give them a lossless format and they make available all the various formats automatically. Every band on Bandcamp that offers a digital download purchase has FLAC available as an option. It just may not be something they thought there was a demand for on their own site (although they do offer some items as FLAC there too).