Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3RDEGREE Releases ONES & ZEROS: VOLUME 0 April 30-U.S./CANADA Tour in May

This song is always an earworm for me off the great The Long Division album.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Resurrecting this thread because it's new to me.

I have been listening to this quite a few times on Progstreaming over the last two weeks and it has really grown on me. While I've seen the band members here, this was my first exposure to their actual music. I didn't think much about it the first time but it kept calling me back until it's part of my regular rotation now. It hits those sweet spots between accessible / complex and melodic / epic for me.

I've been checking out the other releases on Bandcamp. Any favorites I should check out first?
    Thanks doh! We try to be an "earworm band" as we believe our songwriting is a strength IMHO...even if we're not "noodling" all the time! In our estimation-and probably with most bands-we tell people to work their way backwards through the catalog. Years later (in the case of Vol. 1) and months later (in the case of Vol. 0) I don't find myself playing "woulda shoulda" with these albums feeling like we nailed it mostly and we also have played more songs from these Ones & Zeros albums live than any other albums "per capita".

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    This song is always an earworm for me off the great The Long Division album.

Thanks man! Yeah, it has sort of become a song we have to play live but to be honest, at this "level" it's hard to get feedback on what songs people actually want to hear live.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Thanks man! Yeah, it has sort of become a song we have to play live but to be honest, at this "level" it's hard to get feedback on what songs people actually want to hear live.
    That was one of my favorites from The Long Division, and I remember hearing it for the first time -- when it got to that bridge, it struck me because of how understated and unusual it sounded for "prog rock" at the time.

In short: I dug it.

Yeah, I remember hearing the demo from George (although Pat wrote the chorus and I believe the verse too up to that point in the song) when it got to that part and I was like "how the hell are we going to get back to the other part!". The music goes from sort of being in D and then it gets to that part and its like a half tone key change in a way. We now have our new/original drummer Rob Durham play that melody on his glockenspeil along with George and I playing the keyboard so it's kind of a fun part to get into.

Yeah, I remember hearing the demo from George (although Pat wrote the chorus and I believe the verse too up to that point in the song) when it got to that part and I was like "how the hell are we going to get back to the other part!". The music goes from sort of being in D and then it gets to that part and its like a half tone key change in a way. We now have our new/original drummer Rob Durham play that melody on his glockenspeil along with George and I playing the keyboard so it's kind of a fun part to get into.
    Ha, awesome! That sounds like a bit of a headache to sort out (but a fun one too).

First time I heard it, I remember thinking it sorta came out of left field. But it was a good thing.

Years later (in the case of Vol. 1) and months later (in the case of Vol. 0) I don't find myself playing "woulda shoulda" with these albums feeling like we nailed it mostly and we also have played more songs from these Ones & Zeros albums live than any other albums "per capita".
    These albums grow in estimation with continued listening, rather than quickly fading in interest. Always a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    These albums grow in estimation with continued listening, rather than quickly fading in interest. Always a good sign.
    Great to hear. I have a desire to play every one of these live but the situation doesn't really present itself where we feel the need to mix it up more. If we played live more I'm sure we would. But reaction has been great in what court of opinion we can find in reviews and word of mouth. That all said it will be interesting moving to the post-Ones & Zeros part of our history as we've been ensconced in this for 3 years now publicly and more than that privately. How we continue playing these songs in the future without the guise and "show" aspect will be a bit different.