Thread: Philip Catherine Box-set

Philip Catherine Box-set

I must confess I haven't listened to the music of Philip Catherine a lot. A live-album with Focus, some tunes on the latest Jean-Luc Ponty, that's probably it.
    But when I discovered that Kit Watkins had covered his track "Nairam" on his "Azure" I was curious how the original sounded.
    Unfortunatelly the album it came from, "September Man" from 1974, was never released on CD (according to Discogs).
    However, to celebrate his 75th birthday in 2017 Warner Music released a fine box-set, "Selected Works 1974-1982", with four of his early albums, including "September Man" and "Guitars" (1975).
    It also includes "Solo Bremen 1979 & 1982", which wasn't released until now.
    Finally the set includes a nice booklet in which musicians like Andy Summers, Aldo Romano, Jean-Luc Ponty and Palle Mikkelborg tell some inside stories.

In the USA, there was a nice compilation of his 1st two WB albums, called Nairam in the mid 70s. That’s how a lot of US folk first heard of him.

This looks quite tasty; those are nice albums.

His 1st , pre WB album just got reissued as well, and it’s a minor corker!!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I've got my eyes on that boxset, although his first, Stream is really good, almost a Canterbury vibe to it.

I first heard of PC through his two excellent duet albums Splendid and Twin House with Larry Coryell

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

luv me sum PC!

I have about 5 or 6 of his albums. He works a lot of musical ground
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    In the USA, there was a nice compilation of his 1st two WB albums, called Nairam in the mid 70s. That’s how a lot of US folk first heard of him.
    The liner-notes of that compilation-album, written by Michael Cuscuna, are included in the booklet I mentioned.

as a side note apropos of nothing other than his recent passing: The only time I saw Didier Lockwood play live was as a [unannounced] special guest of Philip Catherine's at a show.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I must confess I haven't listened to the music of Philip Catherine a lot. A live-album with Focus, some tunes on the latest Jean-Luc Ponty, that's probably it.
    But when I discovered that Kit Watkins had covered his track "Nairam" on his "Azure" I was curious how the original sounded.
    Unfortunatelly the album it came from, "September Man" from 1974, was never released on CD (according to Discogs).
    However, to celebrate his 75th birthday in 2017 Warner Music released a fine box-set, "Selected Works 1974-1982", with four of his early albums, including "September Man" and "Guitars" (1975).
    It also includes "Solo Bremen 1979 & 1982", which wasn't released until now.
    Finally the set includes a nice booklet in which musicians like Andy Summers, Aldo Romano, Jean-Luc Ponty and Palle Mikkelborg tell some inside stories.
    Thanks for that - I didn't know about that re-issue. Guitars has been a favourite from years back and I'd given up looking for it on CD. I didn't think much of September Man -Nairam was the only track I kept on tape after getting rid of the record. Incidently Nairam also appeared on Mike Gibbs' 'The Only Chrome Waterfall Orchestra' with Catherine playing guitar but with Mike Gibbs adding a string arrangement. It later appeared on Robert Wyatts' 'Shleep' album with a new lyric by Wyatt, and now called 'Maryan' (Nairam backwards).
    I've only dipped into some of Catherine's more recent work but haven't found it very inspiring. If you only want Guitars, then it is available as a download by itself from Amazons digital store.

BTW, there has been a few concerts celebrating his 75th BD around Benelux. Don't know if that "tour" leaked out outside western europe, though

I will soon buy the boxset, but Iim still a litlle pissed off that they didn't include Stream (from 71), and it sounded like a total missed opportunity.

Though I see just now that Stream got its first CD release last year on the DIW label

Edit: I see Steve mentionned this Stream bit as well
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.