Page 1 of 125 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 NFL Discussion Thread

The 2018 NFL Discussion Thread

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Yep. Its time once again to watch banalities like the combine and the draft draw more viewers on TV than the other sports' current seasons.

I can't envision myself ever watching something like the combine. Kudos to the NFL's marketing team for turning that into a televised event.

So the Browns have the 1st and 4th picks. And while most people/mocks are not having them draft this way, I think they should draft Saquon Barkley with the first pick in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/mock-drafts

Most of these 7 mocks have Darnold going to the Browns, which would still be good for them. But when you consider that the Colts will likely not pick a QB unless they trade down, the Browns would STILL automatically have their pick of Darnold or Rosen at pick 4, with Mayfield at 4 in a worst case scenario.

When you consider virtually all these guys have these 3 QBs drafted to go in the top 10, why not go with the "best player available" in a position that has the next RB projected as a late 1st round?

In fact, if the Browns were really savvy (I know, oxy-moron), they could trade their 4th pick to the Broncos (assuming Chubb goes to the Colts) so Denver could get the QB of their choice (of what projects to be Rosen and Mayfield), and the Browns can take the other guy and parlay an extra pick out of the deal.

Then again, I have expect the Browns to trade these picks away. :P
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I have expect the Browns to trade these picks away. :P
    seems to be their M.O.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I can't envision myself ever watching something like the combine. Kudos to the NFL's marketing team for turning that into a televised event.

So the Browns have the 1st and 4th picks. And while most people/mocks are not having them draft this way, I think they should draft Saquon Barkley with the first pick in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/mock-drafts

Most of these 7 mocks have Darnold going to the Browns, which would still be good for them. But when you consider that the Colts will likely not pick a QB unless they trade down, the Browns would STILL automatically have their pick of Darnold or Rosen at pick 4, with Mayfield at 4 in a worst case scenario.

When you consider virtually all these guys have these 3 QBs drafted to go in the top 10, why not go with the "best player available" in a position that has the next RB projected as a late 1st round?

In fact, if the Browns were really savvy (I know, oxy-moron), they could trade their 4th pick to the Broncos (assuming Chubb goes to the Colts) so Denver could get the QB of their choice (of what projects to be Rosen and Mayfield), and the Browns can take the other guy and parlay an extra pick out of the deal.

Then again, I have expect the Browns to trade these picks away. :P
    Can't agree with this at all. The Browns "earned" the right to select first based on their monumental suckitude, and in a quarterback driven league, with potential future stars available at the position, the Browns have to take a quarterback No. 1 overall. Even though Kizer could still turn out to be elite. They simply cannot take the chance that they don't get the position solved. There's no guarantee that Barkley will have the best career of all the running backs in this draft, which has several strong prospects at the position. I'd take a QB at 1, the DB from Alabama at 4, and a running back with one of my 2 picks at the top of the 2nd round. Darnold will not be available at 4. Barkley's advantage is that he's a 3 down back, but his production may not be much different than those who will still be available at 33 or 35. Will the Browns trade out? I don't see that happening with 1, and I think 4 is unlikely, but not impossible. More likely is packaging 2 of their 3 2nd round picks to move back into the 1st round. I hope they do not do that.

As for how savy they are or aren't, again, John Dorsey is now in charge and he cut his teeth with the Chefs and Packards. If you think he botched their drafts, fine, but that's the antecedent, not what Sashi Brown did. Dorsey is saying in interviews that he'll take the best player, and will have his board ordered along those lines. We'll see.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Expecting a season of rebuilding from the Seahawks, we need a few diamonds in the rough from the draft.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I think considering that the top QB talent this draft is more prevalent (with four solid 1st round names this year and a 5th even), they are guaranteed to have a top 3 QB in this draft, and very, very possibly a top 2. But Barkley is a clear choice for #1 overall HB, and every mock in that link had him going to the top 4 (including Cleveland). He also impressed at the Combine.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/2/17...lts-draft-2018

So you need to make the argument SPECIFICALLY imo for why Darnold is the hands-down MVP candidate that must be drafted number 1 when Rosen, Mayfield, and Allen are predicted by those 7 mock drafts to go in the top 15 (very unusual for a draft). And then there's Lamar Jackson, also projected as a round 1 pick. I think it's been quite some time since 5 QBs have been drafted in the 1st round, and there is something to be said recently about the success of the "2nd guy".

Carson Wentz was the 2nd overall in 2016 behind Goff.
    Mariota was the 2nd overall in 2015 behind Winston.
    RGIII was 2nd overall in 2012 behind Luck. Okay, 2 out of 3.

Incidentally, I believe the Browns could have drafted CARSON WENTZ just two years ago, but traded down instead.

After convincing me why they can't "settle" for the next QB, convince me that Darnold is better than Cousins, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford (at least two of which can be had).

So the Browns have a plethora of QB options going into the draft.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Arnold is going to be a bust. Rosen will be a bust. Mayfield has a chance to be a cross between Russel Wilson and Brett Favre. Allen is the intriguing pick. He needs at least a year to experience higher level players.

Personally, I'd back up the Brinks truck for Cousins.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    The Browns can have the RB and the QB of their choice if they want to trade with the Giants. I'd say their #4, both of their seconds this year, and their #1 pick next year should do it.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

The Steelers are apparently going to franchise tag Le'Veon Bell.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The Steelers are apparently going to franchise tag Le'Veon Bell.
    That will end badly.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Just read a story that Richard Sherman does not expect to play for the Seahawks this year and now comes a newsflash that Michael Bennett has been traded to the Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Just read a story that Richard Sherman does not expect to play for the Seahawks this year and now comes a newsflash that Michael Bennett has been traded to the Eagles
    Looks like we are getting WR Marcus Johnson from the Eagles with a swap of 7th & 5th round picks.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Very interesting...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sounds like drastic times in Seattle but when you look at it it starts to make sense. Michael Bennett has as much trade value now as he did last year and it's just going to go down from here. Richard Sherman probably has the lowest trade value of his career given that he's coming off ankle surgery and recovering from a broken leg. And let's face it where at one time offensive coordinators may have avoided throwing his direction they certainly haven't avoided throwing his direction the last couple of years. In fact Sherman got lit up a few times last year before his injury. An Earl Thomas didn't do himself any favors by going to the Dallas Cowboys locker room and saying what he did. Looks like the legion of boom will be turning into the legion of whom.

The Seattle coaching staff have been very supportive of some of their outspoken players on social issues last season. I doubt very seriously that any of these trades have anything to do with anyone team members political leaning. But it stands to reason that that defense was great when it was hungry and not so enamored with running their mouths

The strong play of younger playerss like Shaq Griffen, Frank Clark, and Jarran Reed has also helped to make those guys in Seattle more expendable. Not sure if I'm entirely on board yet with the moves or impending moves--Monday may reveal a bit more in regards to that--but I'll agree that it does make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Sounds like drastic times in Seattle but when you look at it it starts to make sense. Michael Bennett has as much trade value now as he did last year and it's just going to go down from here. Richard Sherman probably has the lowest trade value of his career given that he's coming off ankle surgery and recovering from a broken leg. And let's face it where at one time offensive coordinators may have avoided throwing his direction they certainly haven't avoided throwing his direction the last couple of years. In fact Sherman got lit up a few times last year before his injury. An Earl Thomas didn't do himself any favors by going to the Dallas Cowboys locker room and saying what he did. Looks like the legion of boom will be turning into the legion of whom.

The Seattle coaching staff have been very supportive of some of their outspoken players on social issues last season. I doubt very seriously that any of these trades have anything to do with anyone team members political leaning. But it stands to reason that that defense was great when it was hungry and not so enamored with running their mouths

Sherman was playing through an injury all last year which accounts for him being targeted more than previously. Seattle are certainly in rebuilding mode, it was coming with a whole bunch of players getting higher salaries, getting injured and getting older. The window for being Superbowl competitive is pretty short for most teams, maybe 3 or 4 years. Seattle got lucky with Wilson's rookie contract and the fact he played way above his draft position. Once he got paid then the O-Line, D & WR's got hit. They never managed to find a replacement for Beast Mode either. In the end they were 1 play away from 2 Superbowls (though we really should have been beaten by the Packers in the NFC Championship game the second year) in that 4 year window. One Superbowl and consistently in the play-offs through that window isn't too bad.
    Ian

All I know is, that's one helluva defensive line for the Eagles now.

All I know is, that's one helluva defensive line for the Eagles now.
    You're certainly getting a very good player who could be an excellent fit if he's only used for 50%+ of the downs.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You're certainly getting a very good player who could be an excellent fit if he's only used for 50%+ of the downs.
    That's the plan, from what I understand. One of their strengths this year was that they had such a deep rotation.

That's the plan, from what I understand. One of their strengths this year was that they had such a deep rotation.
    Either Mike Sielski or Zach Berman was on Angelo this morning (for the record, I can't stand angelo, but he does get good smart football guys on), and he said that Howie Roseman's real strength has been to bring in experienced veterans for second-stringers in case the starters gets injured, instead of relying on untested rookies.

So far, Howie has earned my trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    So far, Howie has earned my trust.
    Yeah, I'd say so!

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Arnold is going to be a bust. Rosen will be a bust. Mayfield has a chance to be a cross between Russel Wilson and Brett Favre. Allen is the intriguing pick. He needs at least a year to experience higher level players.

LOL how much did you see any of these guys play or are you basing it on the combine alone? Rosen is going to kick ass in the NFL where he will actually have an offense line to play behind. He is more accurate in every zone than any of these guys. Good luck with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Probably the most overrated QB in football now.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    LOL how much did you see any of these guys play or are you basing it on the combine alone? Rosen is going to kick ass in the NFL where he will actually have an offense line to play behind. He is more accurate in every zone than any of these guys. Good luck with your choice.
    Darnold has an Aaron Rodgers level ceiling. It may never get realized to that level, but that's not something that anybody knows at this point. Rosen has a lower ceiling, but could end up being the better player. He's seen by a lot of scouts as being the next Matt Ryan.