Thread: The 2018 NFL Discussion Thread

Supposedly Kaep has been doing four hours of conditioning a day for just such a scenario.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The Kaepernick talk is back here in Washington since Colt McCoy went down. Thoughts on this? I feel people just bring this shit up to stir the pot. The reality is that the Skins (or any team in their situation) would need to have a QB that is both "in football shape" and can learn the playbook in a week. I haven't been keeping up with Kaep's conditioning, but I have my doubts he'd be ready for next weekend. Seems the best options are bleak though, guys like E.J. Manuel and T.J. Yates.
    Pretty late in the season to bring Kaepernick in anyway, even if he is in football shape. Besides, I don't remember him playing well his last season anyway, right before he walked away from his contract.

As you say, their options aren't good. As someone who doesn't support the blacklisting of Kaepernick, I hope they do sign him, but I can't see it making a big difference to the Redskins season. For that matter, as a Browns fan who saw plenty of the younger iteration of Colt McCoy, they weren't going anywhere with him at the controls either. When Witten suggested last night that McCoy could be a quality starter, I almost spit out my beer.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Unless somebody tries out that absolutely wows them, there's no reason for the Foreskins to bring in anyone else of significance at QB this season anyway. Even if they can win another couple of games before the end of the year (their schedule makes this entirely possible) and nab a playoff spot, they aren't going to be able to do anything of note in the postseason. Best policy is to sign a guy simply to fill the backup spot for the next four games, ride the Sanchise until the new year, and evaluate Smith & McCoy's recovery prior to making any notable adjustments at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    . When Witten suggested last night that McCoy could be a quality starter, I almost spit out my beer.
    I'm sure Witten was referring to the CFL or NFL Europe. He couldn't have been talking about the NFL, could he?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Somebody please shut Witten up.
    I tuned in to the Jason Witten Show and they were showing a football game!

Seriously, I've never seen a sports broadcast so occupied with the accomplishments of a broadcaster.

I thought that Booger was pretty decent, actually. But that broadcast is horrible, in every way. ESPN is just terrible these days.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^ Ertz is a fine Tight End, but his attempts to elevate him into the greats fell flat, imo, and then there was the McCoy hype...it didn't stop there. I should have just muted it.

I get it, if you want to put Ertz's season up against Witten's - that's at least relevant to the game. But there was so much other stuff that was unnecessary and ridiculous.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Count me as one who was unimpressed by the Eagles last night. They were going against the Danny Snyder Redskins last night... led by Mark Sanchez for chrissakes. Wentz missed two receivers by about a yard on two plays, threw a bad interception at the one yard line. When they went for it on fourth down, they were down by three... I like that Doug is aggressive but a field goal would have tied the game and they always have another chance later in the game. And that fourth down run by Adams? Instead of running it right into the line, I think he could run around the left end of the line, or run a slant and probably could have made it to the end zone.

All in all, these are things that playing against the eternally inept Snyder Skins you can get away with, but playing against the Rams, Saints, Chiefs? Any of the better teams are going to make you pay. I'll include the revitalized Cowboys as one of those teams that last night's mistakes will sink you.
    Man you guys take awfully seriously a bunch of pampered, spoiled twenty and thirty something year old jocks earning millions of dollars to play a game running up and down a field. Why do you care so much about these guys to the point of arguing with each other. Do you think they care an iota about you?

Bartellb on pro football

I'm not sold on the Chiefs. They can't stop anyone... It'll be yet another one-and-done playoff appearance for Reid.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'm not sold on the Chiefs. They can't stop anyone... It'll be yet another one-and-done playoff appearance for Reid.
    I was sold on them until they lost Kareem Hunt. Their running game will struggle against the good teams now, and Mahomes will have to do it all. Not a good formula.

Watch out for Houston. They're pretty strong on both sides of the ball, and I was really wrong on Deshaun Watson. He's pretty special.

I wouldn't bet against the Ravens this weekend. Their defense is playing like the 2006 Ravens.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I wouldn't bet against the Ravens this weekend. Their defense is playing like the 2006 Ravens.
    I'm taking the ref's
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm taking the ref's
    This year that's a safe bet.

They said that the ref who blew the obvious false start call in the Browns-Chargers game that gave LA a touchdown was fired by the league. I was impressed a bit when I heard that.

They said that the ref who blew the obvious false start call in the Browns-Chargers game that gave LA a touchdown was fired by the league. I was impressed a bit when I heard that.
    They gave the Falcons a first instead of a fourth down on a shoulder to helmet personal foul. Made the game closer than it should have been.

^ Oh, they've blown a lot of calls, no doubt. I've been following the NFL pretty closely since 1971, and I'd say this is probably the worst year for the officials. Your favorite, Tony Grossi, has even used the phrase "crisis for the league" in his commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I tuned in to the Jason Witten Show and they were showing a football game!

Seriously, I've never seen a sports broadcast so occupied with the accomplishments of a broadcaster.

I thought that Booger was pretty decent, actually. But that broadcast is horrible, in every way. ESPN is just terrible these days.
    And it’s not just the announcers...the camera work and production pale in comparison to NBC, CBS and FOX.

Watch out for Houston. They're pretty strong on both sides of the ball, and I was really wrong on Deshaun Watson. He's pretty special.
    I'd add the Chargers to that AFC mix as well. They are almost completely under the radar. After the loss of Hunt especially, the AFC seems wide open. One could make a case for any of the 6 current contenders.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I agree. I think the Ravens will limit the big plays and their running offense will eat up a lot of clock, allowing them to win a close game.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I agree. I think the Ravens will limit the big plays and their running offense will eat up a lot of clock, allowing them to win a close game.
    The Chiefs really havern't played a team with a solid eleven man defense. Even against the Rams some of their points resulted from the Chiefs defense. But then it could be a freak blowout if Action Jackson starts fumbling and they don't bring in RG3. I just hope they don't have Flacco as the back up. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't move this to a later game.
    Last edited by Shadow; 1 Week Ago at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    And it’s not just the announcers...the camera work and production pale in comparison to NBC, CBS and FOX.
    Agreed. The announcers are the most obvious, but everything about that was sub-par.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Look at his eyes...guy looks possessed! Not to take anything away from him, but that was some of the worst tackling attempts I have ever seen. Everyone Henry straight armed was going high instead of low...morons!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Look at his eyes...guy looks possessed! Not to take anything away from him, but that was some of the worst tackling attempts I have ever seen. Everyone Henry straight armed was going high instead of low...morons!
    The lingerie league makes better tackles than that. Those girls know how to go down on their opponent.