Page 42 of 125 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 3115

Thread: The 2018 NFL Discussion Thread

yeah the one on Rodgers probably shouldn't have been called but those hits get flagged about half the time. the one on Clay though, that should never be a penalty. even the ref's post-facto explanation makes no sense given you can clearly see Clay sticking his arm out to avoid putting too much weight on Cousins

all things considered that game was really a good snapshot of both franchises wasn't it? Vikings blew that game in fairly conventional ways....missed FGs, a blocked punt, and dropped passes. Meanwhile the Packers found new, innovative ways to blow it, making the hard plays look easy and messing up the easy ones, committing off-the-ball penalties at the worst possible moments, and displaying a total inability to tackle in the backfield. They have got to have the easiest-to-fool defense in the entire league (for about 6 years running). at the end of the day I think both franchises can take a breath and thank God almighty we're not the Browns, because hoooooly shit Cleveland
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Eli should retire. He sucks and mostly has sucked except those two runs to the Super Bowl when he got so damned lucky.

For all the talk about the Manning Bros. over the years they both weren't that great. How many championships for the two of them, with Eli getting seriously lucky for his two? Peyton could barely win his two championships and Eli got so ridiculously lucky to win his.
    Luckily I'm just smart enough, or perhaps lucky enough, to assess from your post that luck had something to do with the luckiness of Eli's lucky two super bowl rings? Luck.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Do you Packers fans want some whine with your Cheese?
    Sorry that you don't have an NFL team to whine about anymore, Kev, but you've always made up for it with your Redbird whining.

Also, the joke patrol wants you to update your jibes to some that my parents didn't say to me (Dad died in 1957 & Mom in 1968 and I'm 73).

And as Jerol correctly states, this was a equal opportunity whine-a-thon for fans of both teams.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    all things considered that game was really a good snapshot of both franchises wasn't it? Vikings blew that game in fairly conventional ways....missed FGs, a blocked punt, and dropped passes. Meanwhile the Packers found new, innovative ways to blow it, making the hard plays look easy and messing up the easy ones, committing off-the-ball penalties at the worst possible moments, and displaying a total inability to tackle in the backfield. They have got to have the easiest-to-fool defense in the entire league (for about 6 years running). at the end of the day I think both franchises can take a breath and thank God almighty we're not the Browns, because hoooooly shit Cleveland
    Great synopsis. The whole 4th quarter I was flashing back to the NFC championship game a few years ago in Seattle. GB was destined to squander what should have been a victory yesterday, I felt it just like I did in that Seattle game.

yeah my first thought was "this is the Fail Mary & the 2014 NFCCG rolled into one", and yet we still salvaged a tie because of that poor kicker

2 games in and this has already been an insane rollercoaster of a season, I dunno how much more Packer football I can take right now

I'm sure you guys have seen some of this already, but I thought it was really funny...

As of this morning, the Vikings' kicker is still on the roster
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Sorry that you don't have an NFL team to whine about anymore, Kev, but you've always made up for it with your Redbird whining.

Also, the joke patrol wants you to update your jibes to some that my parents didn't say to me (Dad died in 1957 & Mom in 1968 and I'm 73).

And as Jerol correctly states, this was a equal opportunity whine-a-thon for fans of both teams.
    I grew up in Minnesota. My parents were original Vikings season ticket holders. I've always been a Vikings fan, never stopped being one at any time despite some moves. Suffered through 4 SB losses in my youth as welI as numerous 'close but no cigars' since. I thought my past posts about football would have made that pretty clear.

Also, in full disclosure, I became a football fan as a kid right around the end of the Lombardi dynasty years. My Dad had grown up in Wisconsin and so he grew up as a Packers fan. The first SB I vaguely remember watching was SBII, Lombardi's final game, and I watched the Ice Bowl. My first early football idols and names I knew were Bart Starr and Boyd Dowler (I was a WR in Pee Wee football). So I thoroughly understand and respect the Packers dynasty of the 60s and their history. I've been to Lambeau for a classic Packers--Vikings game when Favre was the GB QB with my 2 brothers--one of whom is still a Packers fan who decided to be different and reject the Vikes. So I am steeped in the rivalry on both sides and have lived it all my life. So I know all the jokes about the FudgePackers .

(As far as "Redbird whining", dont recall doing much of that. If anything I've been one very critical of the Cards ownership penny pinching ways. Don't know if that would qualify as whining, but whatever)

Re yesterday's thrilling game, despite the frustration of the outcome, I prefer to take a more positive view of it despite its flaws. For instance, the fact that the Vikes scored 4 offensive TDs and the Pack only scored 1 offensive TD. Bodes well for the future

add--also, for reasons that are obvious and maybe not so obvious, there are a few special athletes who I truly do idolize beyond simply they are/were a really great player, but as a person and what they stand for and have accomplished in life. My all time favorite Viking, and one of my true idols of all time is Alan Page. I watched his entire Viking career, basically every play. And then he became an accomplished attorney (going to night law school while playing in the pros), Assistant Attorney General for the State of Minnesota, to a Judge, to a Justice on the Supreme Court of Minnesota. He has worked and stood for social justice in many forms. The fact that he graduated from Notre Dame is icing on the cake. But what a career and what a fascinating impactful person.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-17-2018 at 07:02 PM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    EIi was one of the league's best QBs for years. Never in the top 2 or 3, but he is vastly underrated and his super bowl runs can hardly be called lucky - he carried the offense on his back and had big game after big game.

That said, his skills have been eroding for about 4 years now and despite the fact that by far the biggest problem with the Giants is the O-Line and not Eli, he is still not performing on the level that he used to and is getting worse all the time. The Giants have a gutless GM who saw surrounding Manning with top skill positions as the best way to last for a few years, rather than rebuild with a drafted QB and almost certainly be bad for 2 or 3 seasons. By not fixing the O-Line, and having an impossible first-half schedule, the Giants will probably be bad this year anyway. As I said on this board when it was happening, the Giants should have 1). Traded Beckham after the 2016 season; 2) moved on from Eli last year; 3) drafted Darnold with 2 and, if for some reason they really didn't like Darnold, draft the pass-rusher or trade the pick down to rebuild the line. And if they didn't trade Beckham after 2016, don't give him a contract this year and just bite the bullet.

As for *Peyton* Manning, he's only the greatest QB to ever play. Overrated? Jesus.
    Agree with all of that. The Giants don't win those SBs without Eli.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    And a couple of acts of god.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Looks like the Pats are going to acquire Josh Gordon.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    is that code for "choke holds"
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Thanks for the support. I still think Eli has the numbers because his only real identifiable quality is no injuries. HE just hasn't been all that great except for those two runs to the SB.

So they ask the question who won the weekend on Golic and Wingo, in all sports, but just relating to football Fitz"magic" and his outfit after the game totally won the weekend.

Dude looked stellar. Totally had the pimp outfit on. So awful it was great and the beard is the gift that keeps on giving.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    As of this morning, the Vikings' kicker is still on the roster
    Not anymore.

Bailey to the rescue for the vikes.

Gonzalez also out in the Land.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Vonte Davis retired this weekend in the middle of a game.

Anyone ever hear of that happening?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Vonte Davis retired this weekend in the middle of a game.

Anyone ever hear of that happening?
    Not in football. I heard this morning that Jon Kruk got a hit in his first at bat in his last game, which would guarantee him a lifetime .300 average, and he quit after that inning.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Not in football. I heard this morning that Jon Kruk got a hit in his first at bat in his last game, which would guarantee him a lifetime .300 average, and he quit after that inning.
    I think the Kruk scenario in bball happens fairly often for stats, especially if its the last game of the year and the game has no bearing on winning the division or something like that. I guess Kruk's was in the middle of the season but he cleared that ahead of time with the mgr and the team knew about it-- he was playing in his last game and retiring due to medical issues. One of Mickey Mantle's greatest regrets was playing a little too long and allowing his BA to dip below .300 for his career, since he had always been a .300 hitter for most of his career.

This Davis thing is something different imo, he just decided to walk out at halftime and abandon his team without any notice. I mean, he can't even just stay on the sidelines for another half? Bizarre.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-17-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    This Davis thing is something different imo, he just decided to walk out at halftime and abandon his team without any notice. I mean, he can't even just stay on the sidelines for another half? Bizarre.
    Such an odd story. He put on his street clothes at halftime and just left.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Seahawks sucking ass
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Seahawks sucking ass
    I knew that the first two games would be tough--home openers for each team, both with solid pass rushes that the 'hawks do not match up well against. Overall, however, the defense has looked OK in spite of who they're missing but the offense has simply been dreadful except for some brief flashes.

Lord I wish I could retire just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Such an odd story. He put on his street clothes at halftime and just left.
    the 2018 Bills, everybody

But the raiders could not sign him to 140-million so getting what they got for him was a major windfall. If Mack were still a Raider, their record would be......0-2.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Variety claims that Maroon 5 will be the halftime performer at this season's Super Bowl. I am beyond underwhelmed.

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/...me-1202947983/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart