Page 11 of 125 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 NFL Discussion Thread

Romo? Don't you forfeit your salary when you retire? Is that some remaining guaranteed $$?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They probably cut a deal with him to retire.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They probably cut a deal with him to retire.
    No, he's not retiring.

He apparently said, on the way out, that he'll be seeing his teammates twice a year, now.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

There's plenty of retired guys still getting paid in all sports.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Romo? Don't you forfeit your salary when you retire? Is that some remaining guaranteed $$?
    I'm guessing that those are cap numbers, not the work of genius agents who managed to get guaranteed contracts for their clients in a sport that doesn't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    No, he's not retiring.

He apparently said, on the way out, that he'll be seeing his teammates twice a year, now.
    Well not officially as Cowboy as that was the best way to structure the cap hit in the out years.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Imagine if Dez and Odell went to the Patriots. It'd be like these guys and the Pats giving the league the finger.........

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    There's plenty of retired guys still getting paid in all sports.
    Well those would be contracts where players deferred $$ to future years, ie see B Bonilla, or some kind of negotiated buyout. That's not the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I'm guessing that those are cap numbers, not the work of genius agents who managed to get guaranteed contracts for their clients in a sport that doesn't have any.
    It does appear to be a cap hit spaced out over 2 years, hence my skepticism. But, there are some guaranteed contracts in football--see Kirk Cousins.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...our-games-peds

Cause that clipboard be getting heavy on the sidelines!!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...our-games-peds

Cause that clipboard be getting heavy on the sidelines!!
    It's interesting that by and large, these highly touted USC QBs have vastly underperformed in the NFL. Carson Palmer had a decent career, not great or up to the level of the Heisman expectations. Leinart, Sanchez, Barkley....
    Might be a tale of caution for this years draft.

It's interesting that by and large, these highly touted USC QBs have vastly underperformed in the NFL. Carson Palmer had a decent career, not great or up to the level of the Heisman expectations. Leinart, Sanchez, Barkley....
    Might be a tale of caution for this years draft.
    You left out my surname namesake Cody (no relation), now Jacksonville's problem instead of Cleveland's, and likely destined to disappoint as well as the 3 you mentioned.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Yep, and going back further, Marinovich, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of a USC QB who even started in a Super Bowl, much less won one. Which is incredible given the hype of the USC QB position over the decades.

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Yep, and going back further, Marinovich, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of a USC QB who even started in a Super Bowl, much less won one. Which is incredible given the hype of the USC QB position over the decades.
    yet they keep getting the recruits. I'd like to think any highly touted high school QB would be wary of taking up with USC if he truly fancied an NFL career. Not even 'Alabama running back' has such an abysmal reputation for underachievement.

Dolphins have 15, 1:00pm games scheduled. No prime time, no game in London. Yay. That's what happens when your team is awful. I'll take it. NFL on a Sunday afternoon is great entertainment. Only thing it's good for is knocking back longnecks and making fun of the team........

Seattle play Oakland ..... in London

Got a couple of friends in the UK who may go.
    Ian

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    yet they keep getting the recruits. I'd like to think any highly touted high school QB would be wary of taking up with USC if he truly fancied an NFL career. Not even 'Alabama running back' has such an abysmal reputation for underachievement.
    Yeah, the USC QB thing is a bit weird, but I'm pretty sure it is just one of those quirky things in life like red or black showing up 10 straight times in roulette.

The streak becomes overdue at some point.

I don't think I would be going out that far on a limb by saying I think Darnold will at least be as good as Palmer.

Every NFL team has him as a first round grade at very least, and he is likely the top QB on many boards. How many of those NFL teams think that USC's spotty QB history is a factor when evaluating Darnold?
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Dolphins have 15, 1:00pm games scheduled. No prime time, no game in London. Yay. That's what happens when your team is awful. I'll take it. NFL on a Sunday afternoon is great entertainment. Only thing it's good for is knocking back longnecks and making fun of the team........
    Buying any new hats for this season, Vic?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Scott, I've got a few hats laying around I can burn.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Yeah, the USC QB thing is a bit weird, but I'm pretty sure it is just one of those quirky things in life like red or black showing up 10 straight times in roulette.

The streak becomes overdue at some point.

I don't think I would be going out that far on a limb by saying I think Darnold will at least be as good as Palmer.

Every NFL team has him as a first round grade at very least, and he is likely the top QB on many boards. How many of those NFL teams think that USC's spotty QB history is a factor when evaluating Darnold?
    It shouldn't be a primary factor of course, but I think they'd be foolish to dismiss it completely, especially the run of recent history since Palmer (Leinart, Sanchez, Barkley, Kessler).
    I would be more concerned with the fact, like DeShone Kizer, he really could use another year of seasoning in college, and work on his turnover and fumble issues. He's not the type of player that should start from day one. Of course, I don't think any of these highly touted QBs are instant starters.

The Browns have informed all of the QB prospects to expect to sit for a year. Tyrod Taylor is there as a bridge quarterback, and is only under contract for another year.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    The Browns have informed all of the QB prospects to expect to sit for a year. Tyrod Taylor is there as a bridge quarterback, and is only under contract for another year.
    Given the QB carousel in the Land (especially in the last couple of years) I wouldn't be shocked if the rookie has to/gets to start at least one game this year.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Given the QB carousel in the Land (especially in the last couple of years) I wouldn't be shocked if the rookie has to/gets to start at least one game this year.
    Sounds reasonable, but they signed Drew Stanton as a backup in case Taylor goes down. Stanton has started NFL games in Arizona.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Sounds reasonable, but they signed Drew Stanton as a backup in case Taylor goes down. Stanton has started NFL games in Arizona.
    True (although I was unaware they signed Stanton). Hopefully the natives don't get too restless if the season (or when the season) falls to pieces.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.