Page 115 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 3115

Thread: The 2018 NFL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Reports are the Eagles locker room is divided...Stay tuned.
    Nah. Writers around here are desperate for a story.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I mentioned in an earlier post that none of the teams in the playoffs seem willing to do this. It's as though the defensive coordinators would rather drop six or seven guys into coverage and let the blame fall on the players rather than actually scheme blitz packages designed to disrupt the pass; it's almost as if they were told not to, if I were inclined to believe such things ��. I think the defensive coordinators are afraid to look bad on a big stage.
    Teams with a horrible secondary shouldn't be blitzing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That's why I wanted the Bears and Ravens in the playoffs because they make guys like Brady and Rodgers look bad. The NFL wants teams with bad defenses for high scoring games. That's why nobody likes a seventeen inning 1-0 game.
    I guess that's why the Chiefs are in the Super Bowl.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Pat's blitzed regularly.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I know that 4th quarter was bonkers but it's kind of amazing nobody's talking about the Chiefs being held to like 32 yards in the 1st half
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Teams with a horrible secondary shouldn't be blitzing
    If they're getting torched, what's the risk? KC gave up 3 3rd-long plays for 1st down on the losing drive.

The current overtime system is still way better than the old sudden-death overtime. And it's only about a 50-50 proposition that the team that wins the coin toss scores a TD on the first possession in overtime anyway. Even if it's an important game there has to be a limit on how long a game can last. I know a lot of people out there talking about having a 10 minute overtime period. I wouldn't be opposed to that, but I am opposed to the idea that it's a travesty that KC didn't get the ball in overtime; the way their defense played, that's the travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I know that 4th quarter was bonkers but it's kind of amazing nobody's talking about the Chiefs being held to like 32 yards in the 1st half
    I think some of that was Mahomes nerves. He missed quite a few wide-open receivers.

Makes you wonder what Kansas City could have done if they had a running game

looked that way - he missed a wide open receiver for a touchdown, the sort of throw I've never seen him miss during the season. also Van Noy was playing out of his mind during the 1st half. seemed like he was everywhere.

tbh I'm not sure how to 'fix' overtime - this system is way better than "win a coinflip, drive 35 yards and kick a FG" but still feels unfair (apparently Brady is 3-0 in OT playoff games, and in all three the opponent never touched the ball). I like the college system a lot ('periods' of one possession each, starting at the oppo 25) though it could wreak havoc on scoring - could easily see this game ending 66-62 or something

(of course you don't need to make those scores "count" necessarily)
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

The current overtime system is still way better than the old sudden-death overtime. And it's only about a 50-50 proposition that the team that wins the coin toss scores a TD on the first possession in overtime anyway. Even if it's an important game there has to be a limit on how long a game can last. I know a lot of people out there talking about having a 10 minute overtime period.

I heard people saying play an extra 15 minute OT period until the time runs out at least for the playoffs. The problem with that (whether it's 10 or 15 minutes) is if it's still tied after that it's back to the same issue of a coin toss and determining what to do when the coin toss winner scores a touchdown on the first possession. As you say there has to be a limit, especially considering everything is now geared towards safety.

Even though you say that it's 50/50 that the coin toss winner scores a touchdown on the first possession, it's still a fact that at the end of the game the defense is tired and the offense usually has the advantage.

But if they make it so that both teams get the ball at least once it's still favoring the coin toss winner. They'll elect to kick the ball and when they get it back they'll have the advantage of knowing exactly what they need to win or tie.

There's no easy fix and there will be fairness issues with any scenario.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    I heard people saying play an extra 15 minute OT period until the time runs out at least for the playoffs. The problem with that (whether it's 10 or 15 minutes) is if it's still tied after that it's back to the same issue of a coin toss and determining what to do when the coin toss winner scores a touchdown on the first possession. As you say there has to be a limit, especially considering everything is now geared towards safety.
    How about if the score is tied after the extra 10-15 minute OT, then OT#2 is either current rules, or sudden death -- would that work?

I absolutely hate the college OT. That's not football. I don't know what it is, but it isn't football.

^^ I agree I hate the college OT. It's so anti climatic. It's on par with soccer penalty kicks deciding games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    How about if the score is tied after the extra 10-15 minute OT, then OT#2 is either current rules, or sudden death -- would that work?
    But then there is still the issue of one team not getting a chance on offense in OT # 2 if the coin toss winner scores a touchdown on the first possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    But then there is still the issue of one team not getting a chance on offense in OT # 2 if the coin toss winner scores a touchdown on the first possession.
    But that's the point. They were each given an extra period to work it out. Since they couldn't do that in OT#1, then OT#2 goes to sudden death or current rules.

If they're getting torched, what's the risk? KC gave up 3 3rd-long plays for 1st down on the losing drive.
    the crazy thing is that, going into the game, KC was the 2nd best team in the NFL in sacks
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    the crazy thing is that, going into the game, KC was the 2nd best team in the NFL in sacks
    I think that was because they were jumping way out in front early on many of the lesser opponents that it forced a lot of teams into passing situations, thus the KC defense didn't have play much run defense and the D-line could tee off. It wasn't like that for many of the good teams they faced.

I think that was because they were jumping way out in front early on many of the lesser opponents that it forced a lot of teams into passing situations, thus the KC defense didn't have play much run defense and the D-line could tee off. It wasn't like that for many of the good teams they faced.
    They only had two sacks against the Ravens, and their offensive line isn't that good.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Exactly, especially given how often they had a sizable lead throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    They only had two sacks against the Ravens, and their offensive line isn't that good.
    You mean against that vaunted Ravens passing attack? I'm sure they had far more chances to tackle the Ravens QB than they needed to sack him.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but...

KC fans have to stop complaining about not getting the ball in overtime. All they had to do a stop New England once and hold them to a field goal. And yet the defensive secondary was an absolute sieve all game long especially in overtime.
    I agree KC's defense needs serious work but I also believe had they won the coin toss, they would have won the game. Bear in mind, they came back from a 17-7 deficit in the 3rd qtr to outscore NE 24-14 in the 4th qtr.

I don't follow the NFL like I did, for a variety of reasons, but I always keep an eye on how sentimental favorites are doing (Oakland, Denver, KC, NE - I've been a Pats fan since Andre Tippett was a LB) and if a team is doing well, I'll start tuning in. My brother has become the same way. I asked him if he watched that game but I guess he had a senior moment and forgot about it. When I told him what happened, the first thing he said was, "I thought they fixed that."

Why anyone thinks sudden death in football is a good idea is a mystery to me. It's not exactly a low scoring sport. How would people feel if they had a coin toss in baseball and the game had the potential to end after ˝ an inning? In basketball and soccer they play a full OT period. They do in hockey, as well, but considering how the game is played and that it's such a low scoring sport, sudden death actually makes sense because both teams will, more than likely, get the puck. And then, of course, are the NCAAF's OT rules. It's gotten criticism but both teams get the ball! Why is this important for football? Because in those other sports, everyone plays both offense & defense. With sudden death in football, essentially only half the team gets to play, if the receiving team scores.

A definition from the "approved rulings pertaining to overtime as found on in the 2010 Official Casebook of the NFL":

Opportunity to possess: The opportunity to possess occurs only during kicking plays. A kickoff is an opportunity to possess for the receiving team. If the kicking team legally recovers the kick, the receiving team is considered to have had its opportunity. A punt or a field goal that crosses the line of scrimmage and is muffed by the receiving team is considered to be an opportunity to possess for the receivers. Normal touching rules by the kicking team apply.

Now comes the key point:

Each team must possess or have the opportunity to possess the ball unless the team that has the ball first scores a touchdown on its initial possession.

Why the clause? How is that fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    When the Chiefs lost the coin toss in OT I figured it'd be over. The Pats clearly had no intention of settling for 3. They pulled all the stops. Gronk was a bettering ram. Edelman was an absolute beast.
    Edelman is formidable. He reminds me of Don Beebe.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I guess the thing they want to avoid is having a tie after five quarters and then needing a SIXTH quarter in the case of post-season
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Anyone watching this flag football on ESPN?. High School kids. One team is called the Dolphins (AFC), the other team is the Cardinals (NFC). They must be all-star kids from the respective cities or states. Kinda fun.

I guess the thing they want to avoid is having a tie after five quarters and then needing a SIXTH quarter in the case of post-season
    From a fan's point of view, this should never be a problem, though.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

They don't have additional quarters in the NCAA. But, regardless, so what? If the teams are that close in quality, why should some bullshit arbitrary rule decide who wins?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I expected to come here today and find at least 5 fresh pages. They played the Pro Bowl on Sunday! The single greatest game of the season! I don't even think I'd watch the NFL if they didn't play that game!

So...who won? I did not see a down of it....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    What is this thing you speak of?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    They don't have additional quarters in the NCAA. But, regardless, so what? If the teams are that close in quality, why should some bullshit arbitrary rule decide who wins?
    6 quarters of football would be garbage. The current OT isn't perfect but it's as fair as it can be. It's not like the defenses aren't on the field. When defenses fail to make a stop, they lose.

If KC won the toss and the game, no one would be complaining about OT.