Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Festival Line-Up 2018

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Festival Line-Up 2018

Rosfest – Gettysburg – May 4th to 6th
    Friday – District 97, Brand X, Shadow Merchant
    Saturday – Cell 15, Perfect Beings, Barock Project, Threshold, Shadow Merchant
    Sunday – Valdez, Lines In The Sky, Flor De Loto, Special Providence, PFM

Prog Sud – Marseille France – May 10th to 12th
    Thursday – Telescope Roads, Godsticks, Lazuli
    Friday – Giorgio Piazza, Aerostation, The Watch
    Saturday – Ex’Odd, Blank Manuskript, Franck Carducci

Terra Incognita – Quebec – May 18th to 20th
    Friday – Time For Pink Floyd
    Saturday – Cirkus, Hamadryad, Wobbler
    Sunday – Cellar Noise, Aerostation, Moon Safari

Seaprog – Seattle – June 1st to 3rd
    Friday – Moraine, Clearly Beloved, Ocelot Omelet, Bubblemath
    Saturday – Marching Mind, Faun Fables, Cheer-Accident, Cantrip, Free Salamander Exhibit
    Sunday – Himiko Cloud, Mercury Tree, Spontaneous Rex

Night Of Prog – Loreley Germany – July 13th to 15th
    Friday – Retrospective, Antimatter, Threshold, Riverside, Big Big Train
    Saturday – Smalltape, Richard Sjoblom’s Gungfly, Mystery, The Sea Within, Camel
    Sunday – Tiger Moth Tales, Anubis, Gentle Knife, Ange, Steve Hogarth & Isildurs Bane

Rock In Opposition – Carmaux France – Sep 14th to 16th
    Friday - Jean-Louis and Quatuor Belà, Alec K. Redfearn and The Eyesores, Chromb !
    Saturday - L'Oeillère, Bob Drake, L'ocelle Mare, Free Salamander Exhibit, Albert Marcoeur and Quatuor Bela, Piniol
    Sunday – Camembert, Ptah, Jean Louis, Polymorphie

Freakshow – Wurzburg Germany – Sep 21st to 22nd
    Friday – Chato, Alex’s Hand, Free Salamander Exhibit
    Saturday – Oz Urugulu, Camembert, Polymorphie, World Service Project

HRH Prog – North Wales – Nov 15th to 18th
    Hawkwind, Pendragon, The Strawbs, Martin Turner, The Crazy World Of Arther Brown, Panic Room, Gandalfs Fist, The Attack, Tir Na Nog, Goldray, Jump, The Amber Hero, I Am The Manic Whale, The Winter Machine, Final Conflict, Gryflet
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 03-01-2018 at 10:18 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Michael Bennet and Co. are in the planning stages for ProgDay again this year which will take place as usual Labor Day Weekend.

Progtoberfest in Chicago has also been announced for the weekend of Oct 19, 20, 21. Soft Machine, Plastic People Of The Universe and Il Castello di Atlante have been announced so far for that one.

^^^^
    Plastic People?? !!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Thanks Ian for your usual yearly thread creation....
    I'd looked for it a couple of weeks ago to warn of a cancelllation (or delay... they're thinking of a change of formula) of Belgium's principal prog event Prog-Resiste Fetsival/Convention.

For the last 6 or 7 years, the event was organized by two (even three) organization: the Prog-Resiste Magazine, the TPE (Tournai Prog Event) and Alter Ego, the latter being +/- the hosting organization, and active since 2002, I believe. Just so you know the PR magazine organizing gang has decided not to organize the event in late April, but it doesn't mean that something won't be held later on this year.

OTOH, Alter Ego chose to keep the date and organize a differently-titled event called Les Intemporelles - Slow Music Festival over the two days, but it appears that only the first day (Saturday April 21st) will be interesting for music fans... I've posted two weeks ago a topic about Thierry Zaboitzeff's new project, and he will be playing his first concert at that event.

Indeed, the Slow Festival general theme (already apparent in the name) is a reflection upon slowing down modern life speeds and taking time to live, and the Sunday will be developped more about other aspects of life (slow food, relaxation methods, etc...) in the original Alter Ego location in Braine le Comte (10 kms away)

http://www.lesintemporelles.eu/index.html

programme of the two days:

SA 21 avril 2018
    Espace Victor Jara • Place Van Zeeland 31 • 7060 Soignies (BE)

Concerts
    21.30 MACHIAVEL • les trois premiers albums, et rien d’autre !
    19.00 THE ATOM HEART MOTHER PROJECT • Pink Floyd, la tentation symphonique avec Philippe Gonin
    16.00 Aria Primitiva • nous saurons être sauvages
    14.00 YOLK • valses apocalyptiques Et potentiellement plein d'autres choses
    13.00 (ouverture des portes)

Evénements
    18.00 Chloé Andries • Médor (le magazine), L’expérience du Slow Journalisme
    17.30 Vanessa Colson • Ecouter en Pleine Conscience (sur réservation)
    Fred Lahaye & Guy Delhalle • Hang & trompette
    15.30 Nadia Ratsimandresy • Les Ondes Martenot, précurseur électronique

Expo
    Les Intemporelles et la Slow Attitude
    Prenons le temps:
    échoppes • produits locaux
    vinyles • Livres • Action locale
    slow drinks & food • bon, propre, juste

DI 22 avril 2018
    Baudouin IV • Rue Rey Aîné 16 • 7090 Braine-le-Comte (BE)

Apéro projection
    12.30 Apéro convivial

11.00 Qu’est-ce qu'on attend ?
    un film de Marie-Monique Robin
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^
    Plastic People?? !!
    Supposedly it is an exclusive. Here is the announcement from back in November:

BIG HEADLINER ANNOUNCEMENT #2:

Progtoberfest Festival IV is is very excited to welcome, all the way from the Czech Republic, the LEGENDARY The Plastic People of the Universe!! An EXCLUSIVE performance you won’t see anywhere else in the U.S. except at this festival!!! Next year will mark their 50TH ANNIVERSARY as a band, so they have something very special in store for us!! Progtoberfest IV will be October 19-21, 2018!

From January into August 1968, under the rule of Communist Party leader Alexander Dubček, Czechoslovakians experienced the Prague Spring. In August, Soviet and other Warsaw Pact troops invaded Czechoslovakia. This led to the overthrow of Dubček and to, in what came to be known as the normalization process. Less than a month after the invasion, Plastic People of the Universe was formed.

Bassist Milan Hlavsa formed the band which was heavily influenced by Frank Zappa (Plastic People being a song by Zappa and the Mothers of Invention) and the Velvet Underground in 1968. Czech art historian and cultural critic Ivan Jirous became their manager/artistic director in the following year, fulfilling a similar role the one Andy Warhol had with the the Velvet Underground. Jirous introduced Hlavsa to guitarist Josef Janicek, and viola player Jiri Kabes. The consolidated Czech communist government revoked the band's musicians license in 1970.

Because Ivan Jirous believed that English was the lingua franca of rock music, he employed Paul Wilson, a Canadian who had been teaching in Prague, to teach the band the lyrics of the American songs they covered and to translate their original Czech lyrics into English. Wilson served as lead singer for the Plastics from 1970 to 1972, and during this time, the band's repertoire drew heavily on songs by the Velvet Underground and the Fugs. The only two songs sung in Czech in this period were "Na sosnové větvi" and "Růže a mrtví", lyrics of both being written by Czech poet Jiří Kolář. Wilson encouraged them to sing in Czech. After he left saxophonist Vratislav Brabenec joined the band and they began to draw upon Egon Bondy whose work had been banned by the government. In the following 3 years Bondy's lyrics nearly completely dominated the PPU music. In December 1974 the band recorded their first "studio" album, Egon Bondy's Happy Hearts Club Banned (the title being a play on The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band), which was released in France in 1978.

In 1974, thousands of students traveled from Prague to the town of České Budějovice to visit "the Plastics" performance. Stopped by police, they were sent back to Prague, and several students were arrested. The band was forced underground until the Velvet Revolution in 1989. Unable to perform openly, an entire underground cultural movement formed around the band during the 1970s.

In 1976 "the Plastics" and other people from underground were arrested and put on trial (after performing at the Third festival of the second culture) by the Communist government to make an example. They were convicted of "organized disturbance of the peace" and sentenced to terms in prison ranging from 8 to 18 months. Paul Wilson was deported even though he had left the band in 1972. It was in protest of these arrests and prosecution that led playwright Václav Havel and others to write the Charter 77.

In 1978 the PPU recorded Pašijové hry velikonoční (released in Canada as "The Passion Play" at Paul Wilson's company Boží mlýn). The lyrics were written earlier by Vratislav Brabenec. In 1979 followed Jak bude po smrti, being influenced by a Czech writer from the first half of the 20th century, Ladislav Klíma. In 1980 they rehearsed and performed a new record, recorded one year later, Co znamená vésti koně (released in Canada as "Leading Horses"). In 1982 Vratislav Brabenec was forced by the police to leave and emigrate to Austria. After he left, the band recorded its next record Hovězí porážka (1983) and Půlnoční myš (1986, Midnight Mouse).

Despite their clashes with the government, the musicians never considered themselves activists and always claimed that they wanted only to play their music. The band broke up in 1988, with some members forming the group Půlnoc (meaning "midnight" in Czech). At President Havel's suggestion, they reunited in 1997 in honor of the 20th anniversary of Charter 77, and have performed regularly since then.

They stayed at my house in 1986, with their KGB 'minder' before the wall fell.

Me and Jared; we'll never get that security clearance....

About a decade ago (so, 20 years later) I went to the Czech embassy to see them perform and there was also a [great] documentary film shown about them.

After the show, I went up to Joszef (keyboardist) who I remembered a little bit and waited in line to speak to him and I told him that I really enjoyed the performance and the film and that in 1986 he stayed at my wife's and my house when they were playing in Washington, DC and that I was really happy to see him again under such happy and changed circumstances.

He shook my hand and he looked deeply at me and he said, "I ... don't....think.....I remember you.....BUT I remember your house!"
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

They stayed at my house in 1986, with their KGB 'minder' before the wall fell.

Me and Jared; we'll never get that security clearance....

You and Jared must be "rogue Jews". I got my top secret clearance in a matter of weeks when I was re-assigned in the Navy to a job that required one.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

ProgStock 2018 – Rahway, NJ – Oct 5-7
    IQ, Mystery, Enchant, Evership, Orpheus Nine, Tom Brislin & Friends

Days of Darkness Rams Head, Baltimore MD 10/27-10/28

Blue Öyster Cult, Alcest, Rome, Anna von Hausswolff (!!!!!!!), Acid Witch, Satan's Satyrs, Earthride (many more to come)
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Les Intemporelles, ProgDay, Progstock, Progtoberfest, Days Of Darkness & Mega Prog added

Les Intemporelles - Slow Music Festival - Soignies Belgium - April 21st
    Saturday - Yolk, Aria Primitiva, The Atom Heart Mother Project, Machiavel

Saturday – Marching Mind, Faun Fables, Cheer-Accident, Cantrip, Free Salamander Exhibit

Sunday – Tiger Moth Tales, Anubis, Gentle Knife, Ange, Steve Hogarth & Isildurs Bane

ProgDay - Chapel Hill NC - Sept 1st & 2nd

Friday - Jean-Louis and Quatuor Belà, Alec K. Redfearn and The Eyesores, Chromb !
    Saturday - L'Oeillère, Bob Drake, L'ocelle Mare, Free Salamander Exhibit, Albert Marcoeur and Quatuor Bela, Piniol

ProgStock 2018 – Rahway, NJ – Oct 5-7

Progtoberfest - Chicago - Oct 19, 20, 21.
    Soft Machine, Plastic People Of The Universe, Il Castello di Atlante

Days of Darkness - Rams Head, Baltimore MD 10/27-10/28
    Blue Öyster Cult, Alcest, Rome, Anna von Hausswolff , Acid Witch, Satan's Satyrs, Earthride (many more to come)

Mega Prog Festival - Mexico City, Mexico - Nov 3rd
    Focus, Le Orme, Unreal City, Ekos, Glass Mind, Anima Tempo, Meliora

Hawkwind, Pendragon, The Strawbs, Martin Turner, The Crazy World Of Arther Brown, Panic Room, Gandalfs Fist, The Attack, Tir Na Nog, Goldray, Jump, The Amber Hero, I Am The Manic Whale, The Winter Machine, Final Conflict, Gryflet
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I was looking around online and I noticed in all the lists I have seen of prog festivals, there doesn't seem to be or have been any in Asia. Is that actually the case or am I missing something?

Great job on the thread by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    I was looking around online and I noticed in all the lists I have seen of prog festivals, there doesn't seem to be or have been any in Asia. Is that actually the case or am I missing something?
    There was a single edition (in 2014) of the Rock In Opposition Festival in Japan. More info here
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Great job on the thread by the way!
    If I see any details on Asia festivals I'll add them but currently I'm not aware of any.
    Ian

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Friday night show at Terra Igcognita is an ELP tribute (not Pink Floyd). I tend to skip the Friday night events at Terra Incognita.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Friday night show at Terra Igcognita is an ELP tribute (not Pink Floyd). I tend to skip the Friday night events at Terra Incognita.
    Their website says the ELP tribute is canceled and replaced by the Pink Floyd tribute

http://www.terraincognita.quebec/fes...nita-2018#TFPF
    Ian

There was a single edition (in 2014) of the Rock In Opposition Festival in Japan. More info here
    Thanks for the info. I would have thought there would be more in the way of prog festivals there. Any idea why there wouldn't be much activity on that front?

Thanks for the info. I would have thought there would be more in the way of prog festivals there. Any idea why there wouldn't be much activity on that front?
    One thought is that it is an extremely expensive undertaking to bring musicians from outside of Asia to Japan. So the usual 'prog' suspects from England, European continent, USA, etc are prohibitively expensive, making the act of putting on an international festival more daunting.

But this is merely a educated guess. I don't know.

I do know that in the 90s and early 00s, there were single day events of all Japanese progressive bands, at least a couple of times. I know that because I remember Happy Family appearing at them.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Their website says the ELP tribute is canceled and replaced by the Pink Floyd tribute

http://www.terraincognita.quebec/fes...nita-2018#TFPF
    Oh! I missed that - Thanks!

Gouveia added

Gouveia Art Rock - Portugal - May 4th to 6th
    Flairck, David Cross Band with David Jackson, Camembert, Jose Cid, Bent Knee

ProgStock – Rahway, NJ – Oct 5-7

Blue Öyster Cult, Alcest, Rome, Anna von Hausswolff , Acid Witch, Satan's Satyrs, Earthride (many more to come)

Ian

Do you consider ProgPower and Ramblin' Man prog enough to list here?

Do you consider ProgPower and Ramblin' Man prog enough to list here?
    ProgPower seems a good add, Ramblin Man has both Fish and Chas & Dave so not so sure
    Ian

Gouveia & PowerProg added

ProgPower - Atlanta - Sept 5th to 8th
    Wednesday - Ross The Boss, GloryHammer, Nocturnal Rites, Voyager
    Thursday - Cellar Darling, King Crow, Dream Evil, Angra
    Friday - Manimal, Persefone, Bloodbound, Labyrinth, Redemption, James Labrie
    Saturday - Triosphere, Eclipse, Soen, Vuur, Alestorm, Tarja

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    ProgPower seems a good add, Ramblin Man has both Fish and Chas & Dave so not so sure
    Ha good point though in 2017 Ramblin' actually called one of their stages a "prog stage" and the line-up was:

Prog In The Park--

The Devin Townsend Project 19:00 – 20:25
    Magnum 17:10 – 18:10
    Focus 15:50 – 16:40
    Martin Turner ex Wishbone Ash 14:30 – 15:20
    Civil War Reenactment 14:00 – 14:30
    Iamthemorning 13:20 – 13:55
    The Gift 12:25 – 13:00

This year it looks like it's Fish, Sons of Apollo, Mostly Autumn and Von Hertzen Brothers.

I tend to err on the side of over-inclusion personally especially with more marginalized music. I wonder if any other non prog festival has more prog. Maybe one of the big metal festivals on the harder side of things but I would love to know if anyone knows of a big all purpose festival which features prog more than others.

Also, maybe you should include Be Prog My Friend: http://www.beprogmyfriend.com/18/en/home/ and 2 Days Prog +1 : https://www.facebook.com/VerunoProgRockFestival

Gouveia, @Day+1, Be Prog! My Friend & PowerProg added

Be Prog! My Friend - Barcelona- June 29th & 30th
    Friday - Persefone, Oranssi Pazuzu, Baroness, Pain Of Salvation, A Perfect Circle
    Saturday - Plini, Gapacho, Burst, Sons Of Apollo, Steve Hackett

ProgPower - Atlanta - Sept 5th to 8th
    Wednesday - Ross The Boss, GloryHammer, Nocturnal Rites, Voyager
    Thursday - Cellar Darling, King Crow, Dream Evil, Angra
    Friday - Manimal, Persefone, Bloodbound, Labyrinth, Redemption, James Labrie
    Saturday - Triosphere, Eclipse, Soen, Vuur, Alestorm, Tarja

2Days + 1 - Veruno Italy - Sept 7th to 9th
    Magic Pie, Threshold, Kyros, Ranestrane

Ian