Thread: Savoy Brown

Savoy Brown

Does anybody here know the Savoy Brown catalog pretty well? I have a song from a show from last Sep that has no title. Since I'm new to them, I'm looking for help. the lyrics begin with "from a back road leading nowhere/ I heard a sound like thunder tonight/I decided to check it out..."

I'm fairly well versed about SB's catalogue until +/- Wire Fire or Skin & Bone (76), though TBH, the last album I really enjoyed was Lion's Share (72)

However, I can't help you much about those lyrics, but it sounds like it could be Train To Nowhere from Blue Matter or something like that. But it could be from any other album, because "from a back road leading nowhere/ I heard a sound like thunder tonight/I decided to check it out..." sound like about 60% of SB's lyrics.
    Last edited by Trane; 03-03-2018 at 05:18 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I've heard probably two dozen tracks by Savoy Brown over the years. It is my impression that they are primarily a Blues based Hard Rock band. I only liked one of their songs, the title track from Jack The Toad. It is a plodding, funky story song based on the old west gunfighter theme. It's hard to find on CD.

I know much of their stuff too, always enjoyed them. But I haven't heard their last album, 'Witchy Feelin', and I'm betting it may be on that album, as it came out right around then.

Yeah! I have a bunch of their very early works! From Blue Matter I think, and all but one up to Hellhound Train?

I'm in the process of reading Richard MacPhail's "My Book of Genesis" and didn't realise that Savoy Brown had a couple of indirect links to Genesis:
    1. The bass player on a couple of early albums, Rivers Job, went to Charterhouse and played in Anon with Macphail, Anthony Phillips and Mike Rutherford.
    2. Bill Bruford was briefly a member at about the same time.

I rarely mourn the vinyl days (70's mourning, yes, but not vinyls ), but Savoy Brown is one band that I kind of regret having gotten rid of my Lps... (only have Looking In now)

Because from Getting To The Point (US issue) all the way to Lion's Share, their (mostly) gatefold sleeve were absolutely superb and the one I miss most if the fantastic (and rare) US gatefold of Blue Matter

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    I'm in the process of reading Richard MacPhail's "My Book of Genesis" and didn't realise that Savoy Brown had a couple of indirect links to Genesis:
    1. The bass player on a couple of early albums, Rivers Job, went to Charterhouse and played in Anon with Macphail, Anthony Phillips and Mike Rutherford.
    2. Bill Bruford was briefly a member at about the same time.
    Jobes, I knew about, but for Bruford, I only read of very recently (Aymeric's book on Yes)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My favorite period is the series of albums Street Corner Talkin', Hellbound Train, and Lion's Share. I consider Street Corner Talkin' one of the best rock albums ever made.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane
    I rarely mourn the vinyl days (70's mourning, yes, but not vinyls ), but Savoy Brown is one band that I kind of regret having gotten rid of my Lps... (only have Looking In now)

Because from Getting To The Point (US issue) all the way to Lion's Share, their (mostly) gatefold sleeve were absolutely superb and the one I miss most if the fantastic (and rare) US gatefold of Blue Matter
    I kept mine, Blue Matter through Lion's Share, all gatefolds except Lion's Share, which has a weird flip-top outer sleeve. Having always lived in the US, I never knew they sold elsewhere with different sleeves, or that any had become rare. Or that they had, in recent years, fallen victim to the omnipresent grand parade of lifeless packaging. I'm not really a collector. I merely hung on to most of my '70s vinyl records. But now that you mention it, I can't even find a photo of the old Blue Matter gatefold online. I also have the Boogie Brothers LP, not that the sleeve was special, but how could I, in 1974, pass up a record with Kim Simmonds, Stan Webb, and Miller Anderson?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I kept mine, Blue Matter through Lion's Share, all gatefolds except Lion's Share, which has a weird flip-top outer sleeve. Having always lived in the US, I never knew they sold elsewhere with different sleeves, or that any had become rare. Or that they had, in recent years, fallen victim to the omnipresent grand parade of lifeless packaging. I'm not really a collector. I merely hung on to most of my '70s vinyl records. But now that you mention it, I can't even find a photo of the old Blue Matter gatefold online.
    Haven't found the full cover, but here is the front cover ...
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...blue-matter-1/

as opposed to the UK cover:
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...blue-matter-6/

As for the Getting To The Point, the US is
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al..._the_point_f1/

and the UK is
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...-to-the-point/

Whatever happened to Chris Youlden? I suppose he did solo stuff but it certainly didn't make much of a mark.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

not the best quality photo, but it's all I found, so far
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo
    Whatever happened to Chris Youlden? I suppose he did solo stuff but it certainly didn't make much of a mark.
    Last I heard, which was several years ago, he will still do an occasional pub gig in England, but he no longer records or does world tours. A talented singer and front man, his best solo album is his first, Nowhere Road, 1973.

Last edited by spellbound; 03-19-2018 at 02:04 PM.

If only one SB LP, make it Raw Sienna.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    A talented singer and front man, his best solo album is his first, Nowhere Road, 1973.
    +1. I caught Youlden with SB shortly before he quit.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I saw them open for Blue Oyster Cult in 77. They were a three piece and I remember the bassist looked like Geddy Lee and even played a Rickenbacker as well as singing lead. I had never heard them before. The blonde guitarist was really good as I remember. I should check out their music.

The Blues Keep Me Holding On was one of my favorites . For some reason it reminded me of a Robin Trower album mixed with Texas Blues. HELLBOUND TRAIN I liked because it combined the early style of Southern Rock with Blues . Early such as early Allman Brothers studio albums ..which was greatness to me. The ending jam to the song HELLBOUND TRAIN is Fleetwood Mac 1969...Then Play On /Boston tea party...all the way. It even has that haunting approach in sound of Peter Green's guitar. My favorite's are Shakedown, Getting To The Point, Blue Matter, and A Step Further. I have Shakedown on disc with the original album sleeve...limited edition and I have Getting To The Point with original cover on "Rebound records" I believe? Nevertheless....eh...all 4 covers are awesome ...and there is something very cool about the covers not unlike Juicy Lucy, Climax Blues Band, and early Fleetwood Mac album covers. The characteristics of British Blues Rock

I agree that Raw Sienna is their best album, followed by Blue Matter. I saw the RS tour in, of all places, Lewiston, ME @ Bates College during the summer of 1970. Roger Chapman & Family were the opener. Great double bill indeed!

I've posted before elsewhere that because Roger Earl & "Lonesome" Dave Peverett loved to fish and my friend had a boat & was involved in promoting the gig, that while they were in town a day early on an off day, he invited me to join them for an afternoon on the lake the day before their gig. Fish were caught & doobs were smoked.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I can’t recall all the albums of theirs I have. I’ll have to dig them out. Has anyone kept track of how many personnel have come and gone in that band? Like Andy Powell with Wishbone Ash on a much larger scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I agree that Raw Sienna is their best album, followed by Blue Matter. I saw the RS tour in, of all places, Lewiston, ME @ Bates College during the summer of 1970. Roger Chapman & Family were the opener. Great double bill indeed!

I've posted before elsewhere that because Roger Earl & "Lonesome" Dave Peverett loved to fish and my friend had a boat & was involved in promoting the gig, that while they were in town a day early on an off day, he invited me to join them for an afternoon on the lake the day before their gig. Fish were caught & doobs were smoked.
    Hilarious! That is a great story! Thanks for sharing it

Yeah that's the period I was into them. When Jack The Toad showed up, I was disgusted that the band had changed again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    My favorite period is the series of albums Street Corner Talkin', Hellbound Train, and Lion's Share. I consider Street Corner Talkin' one of the best rock albums ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I agree that Raw Sienna is their best album, followed by Blue Matter.
    In their Pre-Foghat days (since Earle, Peverett and Stevens went there), my fave albums are:

Raw Sienna
    Looking In
    A Step Further
    Blue Matter
    Getting to The Point

Shakedown

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    In their Chicken Shack days (since Sylvester, Bidwell, Pyle, Raymond all played there previously), my faves would go:
    Street Corner and Lion's Share
    Hellbound Train
    Jack The Toad

... the rest

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I can’t recall all the albums of theirs I have. I’ll have to dig them out. Has anyone kept track of how many personnel have come and gone in that band? Like Andy Powell with Wishbone Ash on a much larger scale.
    I ptrefer to draw a parallel between SB & CS with Soft Machine & Nucleus
    Last edited by Trane; 04-02-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Yep, 'Raw Sienna', 'Looking In', 'Blue Matter', 'A Step Further', all good ones!