Thread: Help make the new Colouratura album a reality!

Help make the new Colouratura album a reality!

Hey gang!

Wanted to let you know that we are very close to finishing the second Colouratura album, Unfamiliar Skies.

It's a bit of a hodgepodge, like the last one, but we feel very strongly that it is a much stronger, much more focused work than the first. It's also backed by a band on most of the tracks, so it 'feels' a bit more live and like a group project.

We also dabble a bit with progressive rock, with a 10 minute suite (featuring Dave Newhouse of The Muffins on saxes). You can hear an excerpt of that track here. There's also a bit of a stoner metal / Black Sabbath homage, and a bit of a beat poetry / funk number with our own Mr. Triscuits on sax!

Other guests include Damon Waitkus of Jack o' the Clock, plus some supreme local talent in Derek Pavlic, a guitarist who's something of a Frank Zappa disciple, local 'odd time signature guru' Eric Holskey, and more.

Today, we're launching our gofundme campaign to press the album, complete with a beautiful design by PE's own Eric Kearns. If you like what you hear, please consider helping us to reach our goal and put out a truly independent release. It was entirely produced in a studio I built from the ground up, so it's a fairly significant project for us to complete and we are beyond excited to share it with you.

Thank you!

Ian Beabout

C2_Cover (2).jpg
    Last edited by zombywoof; 02-26-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Really like the horn arrangements.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Really like the horn arrangements.
    Woot! good news is the album version is 11 mins ...

You know I'm good for some money!

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    You know I'm good for some money!
    Thank you John!

Up to $800 in two days!! Wowee zowee!!

How is the campaign going now?

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    How is the campaign going now?
    We're just a little over the 2/3rds point.

Last two days spent remixing / redesigning 'Nautilus' ... the version you heard on the single release was merely a prototype.

COLOURATURA UPDATE

We've approved the inner and outer cover designs by the remarkable Eric Kearns (Check out the sample below), and we're looking at ordering the discs roughly a week from today (April 7th).

What does this mean? This means that you have SEVEN days to secure your preorder at www.gofundme.com/unfamiliarskies (PS - due to private donations we are about $150 from making our goal, which means that Unfamiliar Skies is a GO and you can preorder with confidence.) Obviously if you preorder, I anticipate you will have your discs in hand before the rest of the world ... possibly sometime late next month?

Oh yeah, to sweeten things even further I've prepared an 'Associated Recordings' CD-R for the $50+ levels. This includes two session outtakes and a bunch of demos and fun things that show our process. (Obviously if you donated at this level or above, you get it regardless)

Onward!

29942556_10216561057645660_730709461_o.jpg

FUNDED.

With this, we have officially begun the CD production of our new album. Artwork and mastering complete and sending off to be pressed today. We did it, and we did it with your help and the help of our supporting cast.

Oh, by the way. This is merely the tip of the iceberg.

On the strength of “Unfamiliar Skies”, Colouratura have been signed to Nick Katona’s Melodic Revolution Records!

C2_6Panel_FINAL_Clean (3).jpg

C2_On Disc_FINAL(2).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zombywoof; 04-04-2018 at 12:36 PM.

That's great! I'm looking forward to hearing the entire album!

Good news, Ian.

Been spending a fair bit of time with the album lately. It’s very good. That flute solo in “Photograph” uplifts the whole song. “Kerouac” is surprisingly bluesy and funky and seedy all at once, and it reminds when I first read Big Sur twenty years ago that bluesy and funky and seedy all seemed like exactly how I should spend my time, but I didn’t.

I’ll admit that the first album never quite grabbed me. This one has.

Still need to get this one. I will soon but I have a listening backlog. Bought more then I have time to listen to.

I liked the first one so curious anout this pne.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Been spending a fair bit of time with the album lately. It’s very good. That flute solo in “Photograph” uplifts the whole song. “Kerouac” is surprisingly bluesy and funky and seedy all at once, and it reminds when I first read Big Sur twenty years ago that bluesy and funky and seedy all seemed like exactly how I should spend my time, but I didn’t.

I’ll admit that the first album never quite grabbed me. This one has.
    Glad to hear it, Matt!