Thread: So how are you celebrating Mr David Sylvian today?

So how are you celebrating Mr David Sylvian today?

It's his 60th birthday.

I am playing Darkest Dreaming, stuff from Nine Horses. Need to add some Blemish, too.

Finest voice of them all.

And isn't he progressive in the truest sense of the word? What a musical journey he has made. Listen to the early Japan stuff and then to his most recent stuff. He never sits still, that's for sure. Is it him and Scott Walker, maybe? And Yes? ;-D

I'm getting falling down drunk.

I think I'll bust out some Japan and Sylvian's "Gone To Earth".

I hadn't realized. I'll definitely celebrate by not subjecting my ears to Blemish, but haven't decided beyond that. The east coast is definitely grey enough today for a good dip into Secrets of the Beehive.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I might have a beer or 2.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

As it's getting late and I'll sleep under a poster of the 12"-version of Night Porter soon I guess it all right to play that song (over and over again):

Orpheus

Happy 60th, Mr Sylvian. I'll go for Approaching Silence while approaching sleep soon...

HBD - I was just actually listening to - The Planet of the Apes (original) soundtrack - (J.Goldsmith) I haven't heard much of David Sylvian = I recently came across this on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHfcWt74ITw - I like the fusion stuff......any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulPb View Post
    HBD - I was just actually listening to - The Planet of the Apes (original) soundtrack - (J.Goldsmith) I haven't heard much of David Sylvian = I recently came across this on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHfcWt74ITw - I like the fusion stuff......any recommendations?
    Well that sound is unique for that project, nowhere else does he use distorted vocals and heavy guitars. DS has never been afraid of trying new directions. But maybe Gone to Earth is an album that is a bit close to the sound of this one. Less aggressive, though.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Brilliant singer!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulPb View Post
    Tweaker's Linoleum comes to mind (the heavy part starts in on 2:20):

And if you like a voice that's a bit similar to Sylvian's in a more heavy style, you could check out O.r.k.: