Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relayer (the band)

Relayer (the band)

Back in the late '90s I stumbled across the album A GRANDER VISION by a band called Relayer. Of course as a big YES fan the band name caught my eye. The song titles and lengths made me pick it up unheard. And I really loved it. I went on to get a couple more albums by this band, and I must say I became quite a fan. I recently thought about them and broke the albums out for a few spins, and I have to say I still really enjoy them and I'm kind of surprised that they never got more exposure among the late '90s/early '00s prog crowd. In my opinion the singer and all musicians are excellent, the arrangements are dynamic and interesting, the melodies memorable and often beautiful. So I just thought I'd bring them up and see if there are any other fans around here. Also, any thoughts on why they never got more attention? I never heard of them playing a festival or signing with a label, although I could very well be mistaken on one or both of those counts.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

I remember them of being neo-prog. Not a fan of that particular style, so I bypassed upon listening to their Teething Fashion album.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I got one of their albums on release, Last Man On Earth, which I found somewhat anonymous and/or pedestrian. There's basically nothing wrong with "straight" renditions of older influences, but there's still a need for artists to bring some of their own - and preferably something attemptively fresh - to the table.

I must have at least a few hundred "prog" CDs lying around to illustrate this. But then again I suppose others may differ on opinion.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I’m telling you, Relayer should do a tour with the band called Discipline

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    Back in the late '90s I stumbled across the album A GRANDER VISION by a band called Relayer. Of course as a big YES fan the band name caught my eye. The song titles and lengths made me pick it up unheard. And I really loved it. I went on to get a couple more albums by this band, and I must say I became quite a fan. I recently thought about them and broke the albums out for a few spins, and I have to say I still really enjoy them and I'm kind of surprised that they never got more exposure among the late '90s/early '00s prog crowd. In my opinion the singer and all musicians are excellent, the arrangements are dynamic and interesting, the melodies memorable and often beautiful. So I just thought I'd bring them up and see if there are any other fans around here. Also, any thoughts on why they never got more attention? I never heard of them playing a festival or signing with a label, although I could very well be mistaken on one or both of those counts.
    They did play ROSfest in 2008. I was not there, but the reason I remember it was they got a really positive reaction on the Internet and after seeing all the feedback we were looking at them for ProgDay that next year. For whatever reason, that never happened, and I have not heard much about the band since.

Relayer (the band)

I’m a big fan of Relayer. Wrote a few reviews of their albums @ Prog-Archives. Great players all around! I thought John Shahagian had vocal similarities to Freddie Mercury, without all the melodrama. Awesome guitar work from Tim LaRoi. His solo acoustic piece, My Black Cat, is among my favorite acoustic instrumentals.

I have Tom (bass) & Tim (guitar) as fb friends. Tom moved to Arizona due to a work relocation. I haven’t heard of any recording plans, but I’ll ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did some fb messaging with Tom Burke, bassist, who said the band has quite a few songs in the early stages & need time to get together and work the tunes into shape. He said they are looking at a new release in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    I did some fb messaging with Tom Burke, bassist, who said the band has quite a few songs in the early stages & need time to get together and work the tunes into shape. He said they are looking at a new release in 2020.

That's good to know! Thanks for the update!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

I recently received a fb message from Tim LaRoi. Seems the band is working on a new album, maybe a double, and they have 9 tunes nearly complete.

I remember Relayer. I might even still have that CD, but I think part of their problem was that while they were new they weren't quite distinctive enough. At the time there were a number of interesting new American prog bands competing for attention (Cairo, Magellan, Kalaban, Enchant, Spock's Beard, etc. -- with even more that I can't even remember.) And they were all going up against the neo groups from Europe (don't need to tick all of them off). Plus while there was a resurgence in interest in progressive rock it wasn't inexhaustible. Part of it might also have been simple bad luck, bad timing, bad management, missed opportunities, whatever.

For every Relayer -- a group that perhaps should have done better than they did -- there was the corresponding Citadel. Truly awful groups that got way more exposure than they deserved.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I have albums by 2 different American Prog-Rock bands named Relayer, one 70s, one 80s. Neither are this band.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    I’m telling you, Relayer should do a tour with the band called Discipline
    They could throw in Foxtrot and make it a triple bill.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I got A Grander Vision second hand back in 1997, and it was a pleasant surprise. Low-budget production, but well made and performed. The long title track stands still as a decent U. S. take on the neoprogressive sound, with great melodies and enough spirit of its own to justify the obvious retread. The more demo-like ”Wire Mill Scars” has that balladic section that always makes me think that if the 80s Marillion occasionally sound like Bon Jovi trying to play Genesis, here Relayer sound like Genesis trying to play New Kids on the Block.

So all in all, a nice album. However, what I heard of their later works passed my brain with no imprints and, like with Magellan, there was so much more interesting material to explore by the time they became available over here.

New album “V” released today!

I am proud to announce our latest effort from Relayer has been released! Our fifth album is so aptly named "V" or "Five" for you non-romans. Produced, mixed and mastered by our dear friend Tim Julian, whose knowledge and patience took our ideas to new heights. We may do a limited vinyl pressing, but at 60 minutes, it’s a double album. However, we should be appearing on iTunes today or tomorrow. A pdf book with lyrics and artwork comes with the download as well. It’s been a busy year! Hope you enjoy and we will see you at Austin’s Fuel room on November 30th for our first live gig in many moons.

Also of interest, Tim La Roi & Tom Burke put out a collaboration album, “Merlin & Archimedes.”
    Free download

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yzess7jio...0full.mp3?dl=0

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think I saw a Yes tribute band called Relayer that played in NYC back in the 90s with the Rush tribute band Power Windows. Was this you guys? Probably not if you're now in California. I'm sure it's a hard name to resist! I think I do have your first album here somewhere.

I am proud to announce our latest effort from Relayer has been released! Our fifth album is so aptly named "V" or "Five" for you non-romans. Produced, mixed and mastered by our dear friend Tim Julian, whose knowledge and patience took our ideas to new heights. We may do a limited vinyl pressing, but at 60 minutes, it’s a double album. However, we should be appearing on iTunes today or tomorrow. A pdf book with lyrics and artwork comes with the download as well. It’s been a busy year! Hope you enjoy and we will see you at Austin’s Fuel room on November 30th for our first live gig in many moons.

This is great news! I'll have to check the new album out! Thanks for sharing the info.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    This is great news! I'll have to check the new album out! Thanks for sharing the info.
    I listened to some samples last night and it's quite good. A strong vocalist and powerful production.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

The way you posted this makes it look like you are in the band, which I gather from reading your previous posts is not the case.
    Not criticizing you, just pointing out it's confusing the way it's posted.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

At least the second ? CD was released on Musea Angular. It was called The Teething Fashion.

I knew that sounded familiar (besides being a Yes album title). I know their drummer Bill, who plays in another Chicago-area prog band called Fire Garden. I like what I've heard. I'm going to try to make that Austin's show in November.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I have albums by 2 different American Prog-Rock bands named Relayer, one 70s, one 80s. Neither are this band.
    I know the '79 Relayer album but the 80s one???
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

anyone have a link to Relayer's V?

wow, trying to find out anything by this band was like herding cats, but I prevailed. Here's a trailer from the new album V by Relayer

may I ask a favor, next time someone wants to share a new group or music, please provide a link if possible.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 08-16-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Some more vids on their youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8E...3-kVx3R8mErvzA

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I know the '79 Relayer album but the 80s one???
    Maybe it was the one that released this single in 1982: https://www.discogs.com/Relayer-I-Am...elease/6854137