Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anything similar to Supersister ?

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada; Coburn Gore, Maine, USA

Anything similar to Supersister ?

Anything similar to Supersister ? (Rythmically.)

Moving Gelatine Plates
    Arti + Mestieri

Supersister were themselves heavily informed by The Soft Machine (Volume Two in particular), Caravan (vocally and in some aspects of the songwriting itself) and The Mothers of Invention ultimo '67-69. Supersister again influenced their Dutch countrymen Solution and Pantheon, the West German bands Brainstorm and Exmagma, Belgian acts like Shampoo and Kandahar and Pazop and Recreation. Camel's track "Supertwister" from Mirage got its title from Peter Bardens' (I believe) suggestion that it sounded uncannily like Supersister. Moving Gelatine Plates (from France) shared Supersister's influences and consequently came out sounding a bit like them, and the same goes for the Hungarian group Syrius and their great release The Devil's Masquerade. Another excellent album coloured by Supersister is Financial Tycoon by Danish quartet Coma.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Tomorrow’s Gift: Goodbye Future
    Tortilla Flat: Für ¾ Stündchen
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The Mothers of Invention ultimo '67-69
    ...I was gonna say...

and I'll add another; Kraan
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Bonfire - Bonfire Goes Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Tomorrow’s Gift: Goodbye Future
    This one is quite underrated, possibly because it's been hard to obtain and so people keep judging TG for their debut double album alone. Although parts of that one are very good as well.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Robert Jan Stips , the keyboarder , lead vocalist and main composer of Supersister formed The Nits which have not exactly the same sound but there is conceptual continuity in terms of compositions.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zaragon View Post
    Pazop, Mad Curry, and the Moving Gelatine Plates immediately spring to mind.
    Supersister were themselves heavily informed by The Soft Machine (Volume Two in particular), Caravan (vocally and in some aspects of the songwriting itself) and The Mothers of Invention ultimo '67-69. Supersister again influenced their Dutch countrymen Solution and Pantheon, the West German bands Brainstorm and Exmagma, Belgian acts like Shampoo and Kandahar and Pazop and Recreation. Camel's track "Supertwister" from Mirage got its title from Peter Bardens' (I believe) suggestion that it sounded uncannily like Supersister. Moving Gelatine Plates (from France) shared Supersister's influences and consequently came out sounding a bit like them, and the same goes for the Hungarian group Syrius and their great release The Devil's Masquerade. Another excellent album coloured by Supersister is Financial Tycoon by Danish quartet Coma.
    Highly rated by collectors, I can't seem to think that much good about Mad Curry and Shampoo, met alone including them in "outside-IK" Canterbury scene lists.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Highly rated by collectors, I can't seem to think that much good about Mad Curry and Shampoo
    I'm not crazy about the Mad Curry, but I quite like that Shampoo album - save perhaps for the opening track. Some of these Benelux bands were always rather twofaced; Earth & Fire, Kayak, Kandahar, Focus, Supersister even; there was often a breach between the "straight" and the "out" stuff, although some were better at balancing.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Robert Jan Stips , the keyboarder , lead vocalist and main composer of Supersister formed The Nits which have not exactly the same sound but there is conceptual continuity in terms of compositions.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    No he didn't. The Nits was formed by Henk Hofstede, Rob Kloet, Alex Roelofs and Michiel Peters
    Robert Jan Stips produced some songs on Tent
    coproduced and played mouth-organ on New flat
    didn't do anything on Work
    replaced Alex Roelofs on Omsk and that's the first album he is a full-time member of The Nits.
    After Adieu sweet Bahnhof Michiel Peters left.
    In 1996 Robert Jan Stips left as well and he returned in 2004.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nits_(band)

Robert Jan Stips has played with Sweet D'Buster, Transister and Stips.

This one is quite underrated, possibly because it's been hard to obtain and so people keep judging TG for their debut double album alone. Although parts of that one are very good as well.
    I like both of them (the first is a little overlong, like most doubles), but there’s virtually nothing in common musically between the two. And if you liked Goodbye Future, you stand a good chance of liking the first three (or so) Release Music Orchestra albums.

Robert Jan Stips , the keyboarder
    Keyboardist.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    No he didn't. The Nits was formed by Henk Hofstede, Rob Kloet, Alex Roelofs and Michiel Peters
    Robert Jan Stips produced some songs on Tent
    coproduced and played mouth-organ on New flat
    didn't do anything on Work
    replaced Alex Roelofs on Omsk and that's the first album he is a full-time member of The Nits.
    After Adieu sweet Bahnhof Michiel Peters left.
    In 1996 Robert Jan Stips left as well and he returned in 2004.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nits_(band)

Oops , great band so. Didn't he compose during his time with The Nits?
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Oops , great band so. Didn't he compose during his time with The Nits?
    He did but Henk Jan Hofstede was the main songwriter and Robert Jan Stips the main arranger of the material. Together they were/are a strong combo.

If someone wants to check out the Nits I always recommend their double live album Urk. Most of the live versions on this album are superior to the studio versions imho.

Didn't he compose during his time with The Nits?
    AFAIK, he spent years "bringing ideas to the table" - as he had in his stint with Golden Earring - being the band's (Nits') producer. Later on, when joining per sé, Stips contributed to the songwriting of Hofstede but only from the second seat. He DID become a rather important and integral member, though - again as on the two GE-albums he participated on. Stips has a quite advanced harmonic understanding which undoubtedly served his keyboard-inputs well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaragon View Post
    Two tracks from the 1970 Mad Curry album that reflect the style in question here: the brisk, off-metered, scat-sung sections in "Music, the Reason of Our Happiness" and the chromatic bass/organ interplay of "Jack Is Away."
    Revisited this last night... It's still as good as I remembered it to be, but indeed, you point two major points in the album where they could be likened to Canterbury.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    He did but Henk Jan Hofstede was the main songwriter and Robert Jan Stips the main arranger of the material. Together they were/are a strong combo.

If someone wants to check out the Nits I always recommend their double live album Urk. Most of the live versions on this album are superior to the studio versions imho.
    I think Hjuvi is mostly Robert Jan Stips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8UTlbRfz_k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emlJZ8pk3TE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LWyEQec66A
    And then there is Torni. Don't know how much of this is Robert Jan Stips.

Didn't he compose during his time with The Nits?
    He's released a few solo albums:
    • Transister - Zig-Zag (1979) = a poppier, more-conventional version of Supersister
    • Stips - U.P. (1981) = electropop
    • Stips - Egotrip (1996) = new versions of Supersister songs
    • Robert Jan Stips - Rembrandt 2000 (1999) = I don't have it
    • Robert Jan Stips - Greyhound (1999) = more electropop
    • Robert Jan Stips - Rond (2009) = solo piano & vocal incl. several Supersister songs

None of it matches the brilliance of Supersister unfortunately.

mmm... not really similar but I guess any Supersister fan will enjoy Pichio Dal Pozzo

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post

you forget his largely forgettable contribution to Golden Earrings. Switch and Hilt are below par albums for GE in those years.

his largely forgettable contribution to Golden Earrings. Switch and Hilt are below par albums for GE in those years.
    Earring. Those two records are "below par" only if Moontan was supposedly some universal standard - which luckily it never was, seeing how few 'hard rock' groups would be able to oblige.

you forget his largely forgettable contribution to Golden Earrings. Switch and Hilt are below par albums for GE in those years.
    I didn't really forget those, because in Golden Earring he was more or less a hired hand, while in the other groups he was really part of the band.

Earring. Those two records are "below par" only if Moontan was supposedly some universal standard - which luckily it never was, seeing how few 'hard rock' groups would be able to oblige.
    OK, we're again dealing with the issue of Eur/North Am releases

The NA album I've had to deal with nears perfection
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...ng/moontan_f5/
    Whereas the EUR release is almost nearly as good, though it's got a more "temptalizing" artwork
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...rring/moontan/

Prior to Moontan, Seven Tears, Walls Of Dolls and 8MH were stellar albums, while Tomorrow was not that great either

Onwards after the two Stips albums, we've got Contraband (which I kind of like better, with Con Man, Mad Love and Windmills) and that stupendous double Live Earring. ...

The rest of their discography never gets to waist height afterwards.

Sooo for yours truly (that's moi, BTW), Hilt and Switch are the lesser albums in a string from 8MH to Live ... which is somewhat strange, since you'd have guessed that the addition of someone like Stips to the quartet could've (or should've) worked wonders. But I guess the quartet was too tightly wounded together at the time to accommodate a fifth member - Geeling didn't last long either and AFAIK, they haven't had somebody else in the band since (not that I've paid attention in the last 30 years)