Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New cars without cd players

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    In my old '98 forester I used a 3.5mm jack to aux input to play music from the phone. No usb, but it would play mp3's from CD ( that was a very short lived experiment ).
    When the cd player eject button fell off it was time for a new car.
    You have heard of 3rd party car stereos, right??? I'm still driving my '98 Forester (Forest Green). It only has 140,000 miles on it, that's barely half its expected lifetime.

I'm waiting for the first electric mini-SUV (and no, Tesla X doesn't count.)

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    You have heard of 3rd party car stereos, right??? I'm still driving my '98 Forester. It only has 140,000 miles on it, that's barely half its expected lifetime.

It was a 3rd party, Aiwa. Not worth the time and trouble of installing a 'new radio'.
    At 20 years and just 131K it was time to dump Ole Red. It was leaking oil all over the place and making strange noises from under the hood.
    I got tired of the stress of wondering if every trip would end broken down on the side of the road. The dying cd player was a very good excuse.
    The new Forester is filled with awesome ( after a month and a half )
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I had my valve cover gaskets redone at 100,000 miles, apparently that's a universal Subaru weakness.

My cousin Marianne was still happily driving her Legacy at 350,000 miles when we made her take my late sister's 2006 Forester.

You have heard of 3rd party car stereos, right??? I'm still driving my '98 Forester (Forest Green). It only has 140,000 miles on it, that's barely half its expected lifetime.

my 2005 Toyota Prius has 168,000 miles on it, and came with a factory-installed CD and cassette player. (both still work)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My mp3 player/smartphone input to my 2004's stereo is via one of those cassette adapter thingys. I hardly ever use my smartphone for music because of the inability to control it without looking away from the windshield and also every music player app I've tried seems to drain the battery like a MFer (my musical source is a microSD, I've never even bothered to try streaming crap).

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    my hyundai sonata has a cd player and ipod hookup
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    My mp3 player/smartphone input to my 2004's stereo is via one of those cassette adapter thingys. I hardly ever use my smartphone for music because of the inability to control it without looking away from the windshield and also every music player app I've tried seems to drain the battery like a MFer (my musical source is a microSD, I've never even bothered to try streaming crap).
    You don't charge your phone when you're in the car?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Another reason not to get a new car...!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    A car without a CD player is like a day without sunshine.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

My 2018 VW Jetta has CD, USB, Bluetooth and an SD card slot.

Its a really great car stereo system
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

For a few months back about 10 years ago I was driving around with a broken stereo, so I had an old '70s AC AM/FM radio plugged into a power inverter that was plugged into the lighter socket held to the back seat with bungee cords. Needless to say, it sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    A car without the ability to play an Anita Bryant CD is like a day without orange juice, then.

Friends don't let friends drive with Bryant-induced road rage.

I don't know if I want you people driving and listening to music at the same time anyway. I'm out here to you know.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Old cars are warmer.
    Yes! I refuse to listen to anything in a car that doesn't arrive on radio waves.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Am I the only one who sometimes uses the AM radio in his car? Probably some of you do for sports.

sports including ballgames, news, weather, traffic, talk shows, entertainment. Otherwise its worthless. Never heard of it.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 02-14-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    My car CD player's slot provides a mounting point for my phone holder. It's a 2015 Forester, still with the retro DIN head unit with no screen, so the location of the slot puts my phone about where a touch-screen would be on a newer car.

I've never played a CD in it; I keep a 32GB thumb drive in the USB port, but usually use Bluetooth from the phone for music, so the voice nav prompts from Google Maps get mixed into the car audio.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    sports including ballgames, news, weather, traffic, talk shows, entertainment. Otherwise its worthless. Never heard of it.
    ^ That's hilarious, Kevin.

When I bought my Mercedes CLA in 2014, I was very happy it had a CD player. I also use the radio and put half my cassette collection on a USB.
    The phone is connected with Bluetooth, of course, but I don't play music from it. Apple Carplay wasn't available in the first model year, or I'd be
    using it for sure.

My 2015 Hyundai Accent still has a CD player. I mainly use it to test new CDs that I buy. My main source of automotive music is my 16GB (biggest capacity non-Apple player I could get at the time) MP3 player which I plug in the USB port. I also have an FM transmitter for my work truck.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    My 2010 BMW 328XI has an ipod adaptor, I use an old 50GB ipod in the car.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My 2012 BMW has a CD, but better yet it has a built-in hard drive and I can upload music on it and never have to bring that CD into the car ever again...!

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    My 2010 BMW 328XI has an ipod adaptor, I use an old 50GB ipod in the car.
    50 gb hold ten prog songs, right?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I remember the days of cassette players, and that odd modulation on the sound that told you the player was chewing its way through your C90 cassette that had an album on each side.

I bought a portable CD player on an anti-shock mount that fed into the cassette player through an adaptor. The cassette player had an autoreverse function that needed to be fiddled with before the sound would come through properly.

I then had a Volvo with a 6 CD autochanger - what luxury. Then I had an Alfa-Romeo with an in-dash CD player with a socket on the back for an optional autochanger. I bought one of those iPod adaptors that plugged into the autochanger socket.

My current 2010 VW Passat has a CD player which I rarely use - I play new CDs on it a few times each before they're ripped to MP3s. Those go on an iPod 160Gb classic which takes power from the cigarette lighter socket and feeds into a 3.5mm AUX socket in the centre console storage cubby. There's about 8000 tracks on the iPod (about half-full); on shuffle, I'm currently about 25% of the way through them.

I bought a cheap adaptor from Amazon that just has one plug into the iPod's edge connector for power and output - saves needing an extra lead from the jack socket. Because of some odd fault in the iPod I had to open up the adaptor's plug and snip a resistor, otherwise it shut the iPod down when I plugged it in.

I envy my wife's MX5 with its LCD display and a USB port that you just connect up the iPod to and get full control over it, plus track and artist information and a picture of the album sleeve.

I am now waiting for the day when you get an implant in your head to which you stream all your music.

My car's so old it has a cassette player - I can only dream of having a CD player!