Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Genesis - Nursery Cryme

Some further reflections...as discussed on another thread, in the US this and Foxtrot were distributed by Buddah Records, which doesn't seem a natural home for progressive rock bands. I do think this was one of the things which meant they didn't make impact in the US at the same time as, say, Yes did. Yes had the muscle of Atlantic Records behind them- when Genesis also had that, it paid off. (Unfortunate that VDGG never got the same chance, really.)

Also, this one sold very well in Italy. One of their books has an Italian album Top 10 from when this was on it, and it has people like ELP and PFM on it too. What a chart!

I tend not to listen to the actual album much cause I generally prefer the live renditions of the three big songs. I do have a strong fondness for Harold the barrel which doesn't have a great quality live recording though. never warmed much to seven stones or harlequin.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

I probably prefer this one to 'trot.
    Same here. And glad to have the Definitive Edition which sounds good to my ears.

^Not live as in played in front of an audience, but there is a BBC studio session recording of 'Harold The Barrel' and three other songs from the album, which is in excellent stereo quality.

There's another BBC session from the time which is in front of an audience but I've only ever heard that in mono, and it's not the best mix I've ever heard. That session consists of the three long tracks on Nursery Cryme.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-13-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Never liked "The Musical Box"...
    Imagine it with italian lyrics, or some slav-language. You would be raving and we both know it.

I can convince you on this. I have to. It is a matter of life and death to me.

I can't get into it for some reason. I'd rescue Trespass from my burning house before I'd rescue Cryme...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

'Seven Stones' might be their most underrated track. That instrumental outro is one of my favourite moments in their entire catalogue. Am surprised Hackett hasn't dusted this one off.
    A personal favorite of mine too. Tony's vocal melody in the verses and the little instrumental in the middle I think are brilliant

Never liked "The Musical Box", .

Scrotum ALERT!!! SCROTUM ALERT!!! My knuts itch!!!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    My ONLY gripe against Nursery Cryme is the recording of the album, made most of the songs sound amateurish.
    On disc at least, go find the original Virgin/Charisma pressing. Yes, the "naivety" of the recording remains, but the sonics are actually quite good. Its the best on CD by far. The Definitive Edition and the 2008 remaster can go suck humpty dumpty's bald cracked ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    My ONLY gripe against Nursery Cryme is the recording of the album, made most of the songs sound amateurish.
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3185665?ev=rb

Charles, you can score a used copy for about $5 plus shipping. worth every penny.

I would agree that the earlier Genesis CDs are the ones to get, in almost every case.

The most revelatory for me were Trespass and Foxtrot.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This and Foxtrot are the godhead.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    On disc at least, go find the original Virgin/Charisma pressing. Yes, the "naivety" of the recording remains, but the sonics are actually quite good. Its the best on CD by far. The Definitive Edition and the 2008 remaster can go suck humpty dumpty's bald cracked ass.
    Like that Nick Davies guy was trying to fuse the 80's incarnation with that era.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

^Some on here really don't like criticism of Davis' work. Be warned! Some of the Davis Gabriel-era remixes are somewhere within the vicinity of listenable (but still shouldn't be the default versions) but this one when I last played it nearly took my head off with the treble. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Some on here really don't like criticism of Davis' work. Be warned! Some of the Davis Gabriel-era remixes are somewhere within the vicinity of listenable (but still shouldn't be the default versions) but this one when I last played it nearly took my head off with the treble. Yikes.
    Seriously writing, I remember playing the 2008 Remaster of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway for a couple of my childhood friends and I kept looking at their faces of perplexing astonishment as the swore that I was playing a cover band. As each song progressed they kept getting angrier and angrier. One friend actually told me to stop fucking around and put the real album on!

Charles
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Just played it the other day, for the first time after about 7 or 8 years of not playing it (Genesis was my first prog band, so I played it plenty back in the day). I don't rate it as high as the band's best prog albums, or as high as the band's best pop albums, but it is one of their most unique albums. It has a crudeness and immaturity that both contributes to its uniqueness, yet also holds it back from being better than it is. I really like Hackett on the album, as he was allowed to let it rip here (and on Foxtrot) like no other Genesis albums that he played on. Looking back on the Genesis catalog, I think Banks was best when limited to Mellotron and Hammond, and that's what you get here (I also think his creative contributions to the band in general were best during the Gabriel era of Genesis - it got spotty after that). I think the most enduring and endearing parts of Nursery Cryme - with the exception of Musical Box, which I love - are the shorter pieces here. Hogweed and Salmacis have moments on them that I like, but also come off as both over-long and overwrought to me as wholes. I wish the album's production was better, but it hurts less on the tracks I like the most. In a weird way the weaker production almost enhances the Victorian atmosphere, much like how filmmakers have purposely used dated/older/more primitive camera/production technology when doing a period piece, to better embrace the period.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I can't get into it for some reason. I'd rescue Trespass from my burning house before I'd rescue Cryme...
    Picked up Trespass on used vinyl a few months back on the recommendation of other posters and it is a hidden gem.

Overrated. Has a flat sound too. Hogweed is very good though. Salmacis is pretty good. The rest is just ok to me.

Seven Stones is the first real masterpiece by Genesis that showcases the grandeur of Tony's writing ability and, actually, the first album with a trademark Genesis sound....From genesis and Trespass were a far cry, although having had a great potential to come to fruition later on.

Textbook Prog of the symph sort, exhibiting exquisite songcraft, nifty arrangements well executed, and Collins(!), who showed these wanna-bes what real drumming could do for their little beat group. I still dig it.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Classic! I've ended to prefer the particular period when Genesis were mixing progressive rock, pastoral english whimsy and echoes of british psychedelia. Nursery Cryme is the archetypal album of that particular hybrid.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

One of my favorite albums by my favorite band ever. I never get tired of hearing Musical Box, Harold The Barrel, or Salmacis -- this is the real deal for me. The overt Englishness and whimsy really made it sound out from the others in their catalog, IMO. While sonically and musically I prefer Selling England, this one improved upon Trespass in just about every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Imagine it with italian lyrics, or some slav-language. You would be raving and we both know it.

I can convince you on this. I have to. It is a matter of life and death to me.
    Then I'm afraid you're gonna have to eat it, 'thustra-man. Because I think not. Nice try, though. But alas there are indeed also a somewhat large handful of Italo-slav purported classics I could never quite get to grips With.

"The Musical Box" sums up a set of assets about the 'sisters that I simply never warmed to; the clumsy "bumpiness" of some of their arrangements, the silly take on "sensitivity" by Gabriel's vox, that gallopping drum pattern and a sometimes slurry sense of melodrama. Whereas "Hogweed" and "Harold" attain a satirical tone, an almost parodical charge of cleverness and work wonders of consistency. But then again I never thought much of "Supper's Ready" either.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have to admit I've never heard FGtR. I've heard Trespass (once) and recall enjoying it. But the first time I read the enclosed mini story, if you will, and then played the track (The Musical Box) that correlates to it...instant fan. Paul Whitehead's cover art only adds to the charm. The other thing that's stuck with me most from this one is the mellotron on The Fountain of Salmacis. Other than Watcher of the Skies, it might just be my favorite use of it in their catalogue. While it doesn't quite crack my top three favorite G-men albums... (#1-Foxtrot, #2- Lamb, #3- Selling England), this album through A Trick of the Tail, to my ears, contain some of the highest quality progressive rock the world has ever been exposed to. Masterful musicianship on top of whimsical, fun songwriting. Long live Nursery Cryme!
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Then I'm afraid you're gonna have to eat it, 'thustra-man. Because I think not. Nice try, though. But alas there are indeed also a somewhat large handful of Italo-slav purported classics I could never quite get to grips With.

"The Musical Box" sums up a set of assets about the 'sisters that I simply never warmed to; the clumsy "bumpiness" of some of their arrangements, the silly take on "sensitivity" by Gabriel's vox, that gallopping drum pattern and a sometimes slurry sense of melodrama. Whereas "Hogweed" and "Harold" attain a satirical tone, an almost parodical charge of cleverness and work wonders of consistency. But then again I never thought much of "Supper's Ready" either.
    Now where is this broken-heart emoji when you need it?