Thread: Isildurs Bane re-release The Voyage

Isildurs Bane re-release The Voyage

Isildurs Bane's 1992 album The Voyage - A trip to elsewhere, was re-released yesterday (Feb. 9). Having been OOP for many years, the album has been remastered and features new artwork by Matti Engdahl (who also designed Colours Not Found in Nature and Off the Radar).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting.

I still wonder what Isildur Bane albums are for me.
    I own and like:
    Sagan om den Irländska Älgen - Sagan om Ringen
    Sea reflections - Eight moments of eternity
    Cheval - Volonté de rocher

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Interesting.

I own and like:
    Compared to those albums, especially the first two you mention, The Voyage is a different musical trip altogether. In parts more intense and long, but then again, there are the low key Picassiette pieces and the highly melodic "Nimis" and "Das Junkerhaus". And then there are the short choir works. A very varied album. Check it out on Spotify before buying, perhaps?
    https://open.spotify.com/album/6jKFegItTh5x0XViPY7lws

Listening to it right now.

I think it reminds me a bit on Cheval, which is the more interesting stuff.
    Are there other albums on Spotify as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Interesting.

I own and like:
    For me these all pre-date their very best work : you can't go wrong with The Voyage, MIND - Volume 1 and the retrospective MIND - Volume 2, the highlight of which for me is a 30-minute version of "The Voyage" with symphony orchestra.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Great album

Listened to a part of Mind volume 2 on Spotify and I liked it.

My favorite release of theirs. --Peter

A magnificent album and also my favourite of theirs.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I believe this is the fourth version of The Voyage. Although it would be nice to hear the album in one row I'll stick to my brown suitcase 2CD-version.

Voyage - MIND 1- MIND 2 is the way to go here.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Voyage - MIND 1- MIND 2 is the way to go here.
    Yep. But I would ad that their new one 'off the radar' is not far behind.

Their best with "Mind vol. 1"
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I have the original version of The Voyage, which had 2 CDs in a suitcase box. Did the remastering make much sonic difference?

I couldn't get into Mind vol 1, but I understand it's appeal to others around here.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Yep. But I would ad that their new one 'off the radar' is not far behind.
    Interesting. The RYM rating isn't sympathetic, but I'm not inclined to ignore the opinion of anyone with a Cardiacs avatar. What are your thoughts on it?

I think it is great. Stylistically in line with the Voyage and Mind vol 1 but perhaps a bit less dense orchestrated. This sounds like a band at work. Extremely well recorded too.

It sounds like an album they could actually tour with. I keep my fingers crossed.

Somehow IB seem to score poor ratings on many sites. I think they may confuse their listeners too often. Their last album drew the interest of the Marillion crowd. Most will be put off with this album.

I, for one, like to be confused.

Have all their albums, great band!...

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I believe this is the fourth version of The Voyage. Although it would be nice to hear the album in one row I'll stick to my brown suitcase 2CD-version.
    The first version of The Voyage was the Brown suitcase, the black suitcase was the second one, both folded and put together by the band themselves. Then came the 1-CD digipak edition, which went OOP about ten years (or so) ago. While cleaning at IB HQ, Mats Johansson (IB's keyboardist/composer) found just over 100 black suitcases, still unfolded and in mint condition, but not CDs. As the album was out of print, and the boxes were there, CD were printed to go with the packaging, which also included a booklet from the time of the original album release. This release was hand-numbered.
    And here we are in 2018 with a new edition (fourth or fourth-and-a-half or fifth edition, depending on your perspective) of The Voyage. Remastered with new artwork.

Hi Thomas, do you actually know in what year the numbered Black Suitcases were sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    While cleaning at IB HQ, Mats Johansson (IB's keyboardist/composer) found just over 100 black suitcases, still unfolded and in mint condition, but not CDs. As the album was out of print, and the boxes were there, CD were printed to go with the packaging, which also included a booklet from the time of the original album release. This release was hand-numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Hi Thomas, do you actually know in what year the numbered Black Suitcases were sold?

Unfortunately, the printed CDs were CDRs. A single CDR within a transparent plastic box, inserted in the case with the booklet and assorted prints. The total numbers in circulation were 145. Must have been sold, around the mid to end 00s.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 02-18-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I've got copy #92/145 of the black suitcases. I ordered "The Voyage" from Musea via AmazonUK in 2013 - the listing is for the digipack, but I received the black suitcase version; autographed by Mats in 2012.

I didn't realize it was a CD-R until seeing the post above. To be honest, I've never played it - I had the earlier digipack version that I would listen to (and long before that, I had the original suitcase version in the early '90s). --Peter

Let me know what you think of the remastered version if you buy it. The remaster was done by IB's sound engineer Jan Severinsson.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

Once this arrives in the states I"ll be sure to get a copy.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.