Thread: R.I.P. Pat Torpey (drummer for Mr. Big)

R.I.P. Pat Torpey (drummer for Mr. Big)

Passed away at the age of 64 from complications of Parkinson's disease.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mr-...ey-dies-at-58/

Billy Sheehan was just talking about Torpey yesterday when Eddie Trunk interviewed him from Cruise To The Edge. He talked about Torpey having Parkinsons, but did not indicate that he was close to death. Billy said that the band would not carry on without him. I was never a huge Mr. Big fan, but the band were made up of incredible musicians.

Very sad, was never much of a Mr Big fan, but all these guys could flat-out play. RIP.

His Mr Big bandmates are chiming in:

Billy Sheehan posted this tribute:

My dear friends,

I'm sorry to be the bearer of such sad news. Pat Torpey has been my closest friend in music for over thirty years. He passed away yesterday from complications as a result of Parkinson's disease. Pat was one of the finest human beings I've ever had the privilege of knowing, and the honor of working with.
    All of us in Mr Big had nothing but the highest respect and admiration for him. He is loved by anyone and everyone who ever met him. And surely one of the finest rock drummers the world has ever known.
    Please keep his sweet wife and wonderful son in your prayers.
    I Love You, Pat. You made the world a better place. We will miss you. We will never forget you. Rest In Peace, my brother.
    Billy

Richie Kotzen:

So saddened to learn of the passing of my friend and former band mate Pat Torpey. We spent years touring the world, making music, family holiday gatherings, and even remodeled a house together. Pat’s sense of humor, wit, and smile lit up any room the moment he walked in. I am grateful and thankful to have had you as an incredibly important friend and influence in my life. You will be missed beyond words. With love and tears. Rest In Peace my friend

Eric Martin:

Oh my dear friends from all over the world …I’m sure most of you folks know that my friend, drummer, singing partner and band brother Pat Torpey passed away yesterday. We are all in shock and so sad in the MR. BIG camp… he was the strongest, kindest and sweetest man that I have ever known. I can’t put into words how I feel but just to say I’m absolutely heartbroken as you can imagine. He loved you fans so much – Let's all say a prayer for his wife Karen and his son Patrick Jr.

Came across this thread, listened to a few songs I dig from them - then came across this.

Japan, Deep Purple, and they do this so cool. Bloody hell, why do we all have to die.

BTW he was a great drummer. I could only wish to have that talent.

Last edited by TheLoony; 02-09-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Came across this thread, listened to a few songs I dig from them - then came across this.

Japan, Deep Purple, and they do this so cool. Bloody hell, why do we all have to die.

BTW he was a great drummer. I could only wish to have that talent.

That was so fun to watch - looks like they were having a blast with that!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Pat.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Billy Sheehan closed the door on the band continuing on without Torpey:

Earlier today (Monday, March 4), Sheehan was asked by SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation" if MR. BIG is still pretty much a "closed door" 13 months after Torpey's death.

"There is no plan," Billy responded. "We went out just to finish some gigs that were already booked while Pat was alive, kind of to honor his memory a little bit. But it just ain't the same without him. I don't wanna be one of the bands — nothing against them. You've gotta do what you've gotta do. When you lose somebody and replace them and then replace somebody else, pretty soon the only thing original left is the logo. Nothing against bands that have to do that — I still love 'em, and that's great, and I'm glad for them — but it just didn't feel right doing that. We may go out in a year or so, maybe two years, and do some shows in some capacity. But I think we did the right thing by just moving on."

RIP

why isn't this on the main board with the other RIP posts?
    Last edited by BravadoNJ; 03-05-2019 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    RIP

why isn't this on the main board with the other RIP posts?
    Because this is where the mods want "music-related RIP posts."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally