Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone interested in laying down some leads? or Collaberating?

Is anyone interested in laying down some leads? or Collaberating?

Last edited by Yodelgoat; 02-28-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Good luck findings people.

Okay. I'm interested. Whadayagot?

Cool!

Wow.. that's some song! Could you make that downloadable (or send the file to me) so I could play with it offline? nativeflutes@gmail.com

Huh, how do I make it downloadable?

Nevermind... I found it...

And thanks... Most people I've played it for dont see any potential.

Well, it will be a big challenge for ME, trust me! I only hope I can do it justice.

Say, could I possibly get hold of a higher resolution version of this, if you have one? Ideally a wav file, or at least a 320 mp3?

Actually, since your arrangements are pretty dense, it would be helpful if I could get the separate multi-track stems for as many of the parts (guitars, bass, drums, keys, vocals) as you can provide. I'd enjoy playing around with them, if you don't mind. If you have Dropbox, we could link up that way. Or, perhaps you could suggest an alternative?

I can strip it down with less stuff to make it easier to digest. If you want me to bring up the music and drop back the vox its no problem. Its not a very good mix, but the stuff is all there. When I sent it to others without the voice they had a hard time hearing what I was trying to do. Obviously Vocals are a big part of the song. But its got interesting parts. I'll try to put up a different mix - more music less vox.

I have a dropbox somewhere and I'll try to get it working again. I can do waves, but its a lot more disk.

Okay, sounds like a plan!

[Edit] If you do a remix, I don't think you should de-emphasize the vocals. Mix it just as YOU would like to hear it as if it's a finished product. Otherwise, the vocals could conflict with the lead guitar parts later. Again, if I could get the individual track files, that would be great. I think there must be quite a few!

Been listening to this non-stop to try to absorb it. I realize it's a demo, but some of the rhythm guitar parts aren't so easy to hear though I can mostly get what the chords are easily enough. You do a lot of Alex Lifeson-style chord voicing, which is also the kind of thing I'm inclined to do (been a Rush fan since 1975), so a lot of it feels natural for me. Your conception of the song features quite a lot of massed vocals, and if that is how you conceive the song, you would, imho, do well to stick with it since clearly you put quite a lot of time into the arrangements. Is that all your singing, or is there someone else in there as well? Love the blocks of harmonies that overlap! You sang each part individually, or did you use a harmonizer, or...? I'd also like to get the lyrics as they're not all clearly audible.

There isn't an awful lot of space for lead guitar other than near the end and a few short sections scattered throughout. It could use some accents in strategic places, but the rhythm parts you have already eat up a lot of sonic real estate. Not saying that's bad, just that the rhythm section can get busy, and the vocals are obviously meant to be center-stage, so whatever else goes into this should compliment what's already there (unless you're looking for a new arrangement).

Exactly what instruments are you playing on this? I'm curious to know.
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 02-11-2018 at 09:32 AM.

No longer working with this forum
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 02-28-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Enjoying Evermore, look forward to hearing what you guys come up with.

Last edited by Yodelgoat; 02-28-2018 at 10:36 PM.

I got it. Thanks. I use REAPER as a multitrack. Let's find a way for you to send the actual tracks that you have. That way I can listen and replace things effectively, and it's really the only way to work with this.

You did quite well with the amp sim - that's all acoustic guitar there? Nice variety of tones considering the limitations!

Oh, its not all acoustic. I have a 94 Mexi Strat that I used for the electrics. I just compose on acoustic guitars.

So you interested in redoing the guitars? You can tell I kind of gummed up the guitar parts that would probably do better just doubletracked or something like that. Yeah the guitars need to be up in the mix. Right now its pretty buried.

Shall I pull the second mix now? Does that help you hear it better?

I can send each part separate - Like drums in stereo, Bass, I do need to work on that more - I am a bass player by trade and the parts need to be "Geddy-ised" a bit more. But I am also no Geddy Lee, but the part needs to be improved significantly. I can send just stereo parts if you want to drop them into Reaper.

I may also drop some of the keys - I love the Organ and some synths, but the Piano might be better replaced by guitars.

You can pull the mix, yes thanks. I separated the channels so each is a separate mono track. Still not ideal, but workable, and I can hear the guitars now. Is that a mandolin in there as well? I'd be happy to re-do the guitars. What you have is actually very similar to the kind of guitar parts that I would tend to make anyway!

Please do send each part separately! Drums are a must because I need to follow your hi-hat "click" to stay in time throughout. You can do as you please with the bass; what you have already will work for my purposes as a scratch track (it sounds pretty good, though!) Really, as many separate tracks as you can send would be best for me though perhaps a bit of a pain for you to sort out. Getting the fullest, most complete, and highest quality (wav) tracks from you will give me the most accurate sound picture to build on (or take away from). Go slowly if that's easier for you - you can put them up one by one and then pull them down the next day, but drums first!

I listened to the song without the guitars. That actually opens it up quite a lot. Something to ponder...

Ok task for tomorrow: Drums with Bass, Keys, vox on separate tracks. I will not break out all the vox's on their own tracks, but you should be able to get all those imported into REAPER and have a fairly good ability to mix. Shall I break out the Organ from other key tracks? I think we could look into getting rid of some of the keys if they arent improving the song. Get some breathability back into the mix.

Oh, should I suspend any reverb/effects as well? I hadn't thought about that. They are likewise, just temporary until the final mix down

Yes to pretty much everything you just wrote. No effects, exactly. Everything on separate tracks as far as that is possible. At least two tracks of guitars would be nice. I can get a good sense of what you did from the track you uploaded today, but one more level of separation is better. I wanted to start out by going through and basically replicating much of what you've written for the guitar parts, or at least keeping the same feel.

Here's a thought: would you have any time off in the summer? I'll be visiting my mom on Ohio for around a month starting sometime around early-to-mid July. Perhaps we could meet up. I could easily fly out to Texas (or wherever you're located). Face-to-face, even if just to talk, would be a good thing. Anyway, give it a thought.

I dont know for sure I will have any time in the summer, but I can probably make some room. Part of my problem is that I have a wife who is not supportive of my music. She tolerates it, but is very prone to the freak out. Lets see how this goes, and I'm pretty sure I can work something out. I have plenty of vacation and I work from home so I dont see any issues with time off.

I'll have the individual tracks done later today.

Okay, understood. I would prefer not to be the cause of any unrest in the household! Just to plant a seed: What I was thinking about was the two of us working on your lead vocals. You have quite a lot of potential in your voice, and I think it would be useful to have someone work the recorder while you are freed up to give the singing your all. Does that sound like an avenue we could pursue? Regardless, I'd still like to meet up with you. I have a good feeling that we'd get on well.

Listening to Evermore as I type this...

Ah yes, the Vocals... Those vocals WILL be significantly better. I am working on fixing them now. I also bought a new mic, because I think it makes my voice sound better. I was recording while throwing out ideas and they need to be redone, with concrete parts. Some of that is pretty sloppy, but I find I have a hard time recording lyrics and arranging at the same time. Its kind of "get something down" then get the parts right while correcting the lyrics. I have to listen to the way the voices and words sound, like Steely Dan does - But words and idea still have to be solid. I do need to move some of the parts around so the stereo fields is used more effectively. I would certainly welcome anyone who can help me get them right. I would love to push them so far as to be the "strongest" part of the song. I am a big fan of Moon Safari and though my voice is not "worthy" of that kind of choir-boy-ness. I appreciate vocals that really stand out. I think I am capable of achieving something that is unique and in a good way, at that.

I think have a lot I want to say lyrically - its not going to be for everyone, but I try to write words that cause me to think. I argue with myself all the time while writing the words, which is a big part of the reson I bolthered to write a 22 minute long song. I dont ever want to preach or be condescending - it embarrasses me. But I am also not going to write about "shaggin' some hoe" - that would be totally against my own interest and in 5 years I would be erasing the words and redoing them with something that means something to me. Remember that until I sent this to you, what 2 days ago? No one has heard any of this. It is all 100 percent my own indulgence. and I want to write stuff that I am going to be happy with. Since its likely I will be the only one playing it in 5 years.

I should send you Contra Mantra - Its my last CD from 2005 - After 12 years I am still almost completely happy with that album. I may not listen to it for a year, but when I put it back on, I still have only a few regrets. That's what composing music means to me. Make something I will enjoy years from now. I did almost all the music on that album, with just a few interpolations (lead guitars) by friends who made the album far better than I could have by myself. That might give you an idea of what composing means to me.

We do need to talk about these things because I have been playing with this song for years. Its hard to break out of my own shell. There is a real risk to sharing this with anyone.

I hear you! I can appreciate pretty much all of what you're saying. And you'll be happy to know that Moon Safari is one of my favorite modern bands. Their music helped me through some rather dark times.

wow! thats cool (not that you had dark times, but that they helped..)