Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is anyone interested in laying down some leads? or Collaberating?

Thanks, I appreciate that. I had originally bought a ticket in February to come back and spend the summer with her, but obviously, it was not to be. At least I was able to talk with her on the phone a couple of weeks before she passed. My brother drove the 15 miles out to her place when she didn't answer his phone call, and he found her collapsed in the hallway. She was 84 and really active, so he thinks she may have had a stroke. Anyway, she was one who would not have wanted people to spend a lot of time in mourning her passing. It was a bit strange, to say the least, to be at the house this summer and not have her there to talk to. Again, it's one of those inevitabilities in life that we don't really want to think of but must all face regardless.

Some nice things going on there! Looking forward to hearing the song in its entirety!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Man, you nailed the guitar parts almost too perfectly (included what I always thought were "warts") The main electric guitar is really what I was looking for Bruce. Nice, fat and crunchy. This is really good work on your part! Kind of exposes the weakness of the rest of the recording... Nice tightening up of the bass too by the way - I was not very careful when I played the bass parts, I tend to not practice those parts since I think I am a bass player...

I'd like to hear the guitars with just a bit of echo (not reverb) I'm sure that's a simple thing. Probably not within the scope of what you were trying to achieve here... maybe a slap or maybe something a little longer, see what works.

I too am sorry to hear about your mom. I hope you and your family are doing OK after that - I recently got back from spending a month with my mom in Sedona after she broke her second hip 2 months ago. Man. parents getting old ... very sad, but the alternative is they go young like my wifes parents - They both passed within a couple years of each other and were relatively young, late 60's early 70's... I certainly prefer the former to the latter.

I am working alot in the studio these days, but havent started to tackle the midification of my absurd drumkit, so I can use Superior drummer. Definitely will be a step up in quality.

Thanks for the feedback! I tried to be careful not to put too much of my own spin on your guitar parts, especially since I liked what you came up with and feel it all works well. I also agree about the need of a delay on the guitar - totally with you there. I intentionally decided against it this time just so you could hear the guitar parts more clearly and maybe let me know if there were places where I missed the mark according to your vision.

I would like to hear what you could do with this in Superior Drummer 3. I am looking at upgrading to SD 3 before the end of the year since that'll be the last time an upgrade is available. Anyway, glad to hear that you are working in the studio and not "retiring." No need to do that, really.

My family (older and younger brother and myself) are all fine - Thanks for asking! See your parents as much as you can while they are still here. And by the way, Sedona is a beautiful town that I had a blast visiting back in 2008. Good that your mom lives there.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Okay... after many months, I finally got the time to lay down a few guitar tracks to Yodelgoat's "Evermore." The reason for the delay was that my mom suddenly passed away at the beginning of May. That was admittedly a bit hard; I really miss my mom, who was a very active person right til the end. Still, we all have to face the eventual demise of our parents. At the time, I ended up going back to the Ohio for the memorial service and then again from July-August to do assorted maintenance-type things on the house. Obviously, my creative endeavors had to take a back seat for a while...

However, I recently decided to dive into this again. So far, I've re-done the existing rhythm guitar parts for the first 6:38 of this 23+ minute-long epic. I tried to be as faithful as possible to Jim's original guitar parts, which I rendered on four different guitars: a Seagull 6-string acoustic, a Cort Source (Korean ES 335 copy), a Danelectro DC59 reissue, and an Epiphone Gibson Les Paul electric 12-string. I used IK Multimedia's AmpliTube 4 for amplification as well as mic'ing up a little Roland Microcube, of all things - which by the way sounds surprisingly good! I used that on the Cort for the electric guitar parts up to around 4:03. The rest is with AmpliTube 4 as well as putting my Epiphone 12-string through my trusty old Rockman Model IIB in the Clean 1 setting.

This file is a rough mix of my replacement guitar parts plus all the other parts Jim had on his original demo including his impressive multilayered vocals, very cool driving bass, great keys, and highly energetic drums. The only remaining guitar part of Jim's left here is the repeating harmonics bit that bridges the 2nd and 3rd main sections. I was going to add that today but wanted to first get this up so others can hear it. I also spent a bit of time closely aligning the bass guitar with the kick drum to make the rhythm track really tight. Jim I think eventually intends to re-do the e-drums using Superior Drummer 3. And so the work continues... https://www.dropbox.com/s/e23ntojhm0...es%29.mp3?dl=0

Here's a link to a mix of just the drums, bass, and guitars: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbsggsxydi...rs%29.mp3?dl=0
    I know it's been a few months since your mom passed, but I'm so sorry to hear this. My mom was a week away from her 95th birthday when she passed. She had moved in with us in Oct2016 and was doing fine except for her memory. Then the last 2 months of 2017 it all went downhill pretty quickly and on Christmas morning we could tell something had shifted. She quit eating and slept for 23hrs a day and then one Jan Sunday morning we heard her mumbling in her room and she was delirious so 911 and a couple of days in hospital. The Dr said nothing they could do and offered hospice because our wish was she could pass away in her room, safe at home.
    It has taken months but gradually time DOES heal our wounds, but nothing ever replaces the empty space they leave. So we have to fill them with loving happy memories of their spirit and times we shared together.
    I suffered post guilt feelings because for many months caring for her 24/7 was so stressful, I was totally drained emotionally and physically. But now I can look back and have memories that bring a smile to my face of the times we spent together here, and the stressful negative one's can be remembered now and looked at as part of the traveled road.

Now, I love what you guys have done with this song. What a fantastic collaboration!!!! Koreabruce you're guitar parts add so much to the music, that all parts from both of you blend together into one great cohesive song.
    Great job guys!!!!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Just a quick update, I have started to set up the MIDI mapping for my drum modules, so I can accommodate the two sound modules. I am starting by assigning the second module, different midi notes so when I record, the notes will not interfere with those on the first module. I do not know how that will be unscrambled when I set up the drum software. I may need to just record the drums on two separate midi channels. We'll see how this works.

Cool! I just got Superior Drummer 3 in December, so if you do end up re-doing Evermore - the original version you sent me, that is - I'd love to have the drum midi file to work with. I might also play around with the "tracker" function which would let me generate midi from the stereo drum audio track you sent though I haven't quite figured that out yet. Having the original midi file generated by you, the drummer, would obviously be so much easier.

I have a blast playing your guitar parts (when I have the time) and am due to have another crack at it soon. Hope your new gig is shaping up well. Keep us all informed!

recording MIDI from the drums is going to be a challenge, somewhat because of the drift I am experiencing during recording in my DAW (SONAR 8.5) I have not updated my OS or drivers on my PC for years - its never been hooked up to the internet so its still Windows 7 - whatever the patch level was at when I bought it. I may take it into a shop to have it upgraded, but that's always a risk. I have disabled all the internet connection services, so its as blind as a bat, in terms of getting any interference from things wanting to log in to the internet. My studio has no internet, but now my wireless router reaches the barn where the studio is located, so I guess I could try to update it in place. I was just so pissed off about the internet downloads screwing with my earlier PC's that I swore I would never allow my recording PC to ever have an internet connection.

I don't even know if an update would help in fixing the drift. MIDI seems to be mostly affected, dropping notes and slipping out of sync. The good news is, when I render something, there is no drift at all. That still doesn't stop the drift during recording, and I have to decide whether to follow the click or to follow the audio. That could be tricky during the recording of the drums. If you play out of time, YOU are the problem, I don't know if Quantization would help, sometimes the drift is a half measure.