Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 Winter Olympics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    NBC has many channels that will all be showing Olympic coverage.
    Yeah, I was going to point that out, too. The prime time BS is what drives everyone nuts. The other channels do show more competition and less BS.

For some reason, NBC still looks at the Olympics as a string of feel good stories, instead of a sports competitions. Ironically, people tune in for the sports and NBC seems to miss that part. Plus, they also seem to think that the US audience is only concerned with the US participants.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yeah, I was going to point that out, too. The prime time BS is what drives everyone nuts. The other channels do show more competition and less BS.

For some reason, NBC still looks at the Olympics as a string of feel good stories, instead of a sports competitions. Ironically, people tune in for the sports and NBC seems to miss that part. Plus, they also seem to think that the US audience is only concerned with the US participants.
    NBC/Universal/comcast has to pursue the advertiser friendly path. They have sold a demographic to their advertisers and they must deliver.
    Sports fans may not be the target demographic.
    Last edited by markwoll; 02-08-2018 at 08:39 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Sports fans may not be the target demographic.
    Indeed. They draw a huge audience but it's lowest common denominator programming for Americans that want a warm fuzzy story before bedtime.

Here's some US-based suggestions on how to watch. Of course, it all depends on whether or not you have cable, the Interwebs, or what country you live in. I'm only about fifty miles from the border with Canuckistan but don't get any Canadian channels. I'd love to see how they cover it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/watch-2...s-live-stream/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Unfortunately for many of us, the "feel good stories" are what people want to see. The sports are just a backdrop for the human interest angle.

I hate it as much as anyone, but there's a reason why "Real Housewives," "The Bachelor," and "This is Us" are so popular.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've never heard anyone do anything but complain about the constant stories and snapshots of events.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I've never heard anyone do anything but complain about the constant stories and snapshots of events.
    I've had many co-workers (usually women) who say that they love to learn about the athletes' stories and struggles, as it gives them something to root for. Again, they're not as interested in the actual sport or competition - they want the story and the drama.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well said! I have always felt that the NBC coverage is only about US athletes. here in Canada, yes we cover our athletes of course, but it's about the entire Olympics as a world event. Our coverage has to be amongst the best in the world. We have 3 networks dividing the spoils.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    What do you imply wit that hmmmmmmmm?

The problem is more that the Norwegians, Germans (women) , Canadians (men) and Americans USED to have at least a couple of good speed skaters that contested for the medals, in 2014 they were nowhere. There is probably not enough sponsor money into that sport to sustain a good selection of proffesional athletes.
    In the netherlands speed skating is extremely popular. All athletes are full time professionals.

I expect the Netherlands to do very well again this year but probably not as well as in 2014.
    Why hmmmmmmm?

1980 WO--4 medals
    1984 WO--0 medals
    1988 WO--7 medals
    1992 WO--4 medals
    1994 WO--4 medals
    1998 WO--11 medals
    2002 WO--8 medals
    2006 WO--9 medals
    2010 WO--8 medals
    2014 WO--24 medals(8 Gold) (all Speed skating)

"By sweeping the podium in speed skating at the men's 500 m, 5,000 metres and 10,000 metres, and the women's 1,500 m, the Netherlands became the first country in Winter Olympics history to achieve four podium sweeps at one edition of the Games."

There could be some very plausible explanations for the sudden dramatic jump in speed skating medals. Maybe they got some really good coaches btw 10 and 14. Maybe all the other countries in the world suddenly got worse in SS in those 4 years--at the same time. Maybe between about 1985 and 1990, the Dutch just happened to breed a bumper crop of great speed skaters. I dunno, I just thought the numbers were.....interesting.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 02-08-2018 at 02:25 PM.

The Olympics have had drama before NBC got ahold of it.
    Remember:

Eddy the Eagle
    Nancy and Tonya
    Speed skater Dan Jansen
    That Hitler guy
    Munich terrorists

among others, notable or not
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I've had many co-workers (usually women) who say that they love to learn about the athletes' stories and struggles, as it gives them something to root for. Again, they're not as interested in the actual sport or competition - they want the story and the drama.
    Plus, they have to have a way for the Today show crew to get involved in the Olympics and justify their existence. Lord knows we certainly need Al Roker's take on the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    The Olympics have had drama before NBC got ahold of it.
    Remember:

Nancy and Tonya
    That is the Holy Grail. The Winter Olympics ratings exploded because of that. I think that is still the highest ratings ever (those figure skating events). The combination of the usual Figure Skating demographic (white suburban housewives) combined with a major cat fight, combined with true crime drama, combined with Springer-like trailer trash, Gillooly etc had the TV networks salivating with unbridled joy. Secretly, that is what NBC hopes for again, a train wreck like that.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 02-08-2018 at 02:06 PM.

The U.S. Speed Skating team getting ready for Sochi made a series of horrible errors including not prepping at sea level in Wisconsin. Instead they trained at Salt Lake which, at high altitude, which encourages a different longer stroke vs shorter strokes at sea level. Plus, their talent had thinned as well. The Dutch put all their Olympic eggs in relatively few baskets, including speed skating which the Dutch enjoy a great deal more popularity. As mentioned before, the Dutch can have professional skaters who's job IS to speed skate. Dan Jansen was making a pittance of less than 15K a year at his peak.

Additionally, the Dutch shifted their training zones away from high intensity interval training to focus 80% - 90% of their training in the Zone 2 aerobic zone which is a relatively low intensity that the athlete spends long hours at a relatively easy pace. This builds eccentric hypertrophy in the left ventricle of the heart, enlarging that chamber to allow more blood to enter with thickened walls for more powerful expulsion from that chamber. It also builds capillarization in the musculature of the body.

This may or may not explain that jump in medal count. Could there be PEDs? Well any country could be guilty. There has been a lot of suspicion pointed at the Kenyans and their dominance in distance racing.

Wow. Fascinating stuff, painter.

Wow. Fascinating stuff, painter.
    Thanks. Prog rock is my side interest. Training science is my fascination.

This is my blog: livetrainbalance.com. It is still rough and I have only been building for a few months but I am trying to make a go at it.

On the right side, you can see my posts by month

Two logos that I created from scratch below:

livetrainbalanceFINAL02-1.png

speedskaterLOGO_BLK_FINAL.jpg

Oh, wimmin. I was referring to real sports fans.

Quote Originally Posted by painter View Post
    The U.S. Speed Skating team getting ready for Sochi made a series of horrible errors including not prepping at sea level in Wisconsin. Instead they trained at Salt Lake which, at high altitude, which encourages a different longer stroke vs shorter strokes at sea level. Plus, their talent had thinned as well. The Dutch put all their Olympic eggs in relatively few baskets, including speed skating which the Dutch enjoy a great deal more popularity. As mentioned before, the Dutch can have professional skaters who's job IS to speed skate. Dan Jansen was making a pittance of less than 15K a year at his peak.

Additionally, the Dutch shifted their training zones away from high intensity interval training to focus 80% - 90% of their training in the Zone 2 aerobic zone which is a relatively low intensity that the athlete spends long hours at a relatively easy pace. This builds eccentric hypertrophy in the left ventricle of the heart, enlarging that chamber to allow more blood to enter with thickened walls for more powerful expulsion from that chamber. It also builds capillarization in the musculature of the body.

This may or may not explain that jump in medal count. Could there be PEDs? Well any country could be guilty. There has been a lot of suspicion pointed at the Kenyans and their dominance in distance racing.

Interesting. I suppose that could be a viable explanation and account for the sudden dramatic increase in medals. I just didn't think that shifting their workouts away from high intensity interval training to focus on Zone 2 aerobics would be such a difference maker. I guess we could measure the Dutch team's heart ventricle capacities, but I don't know if the IOC does that kind of testing.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 02-08-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    can't wait for the shot put and roller skating.
    Houston! Houston! Houston!

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Interesting. I suppose that could be a viable explanation and account for the sudden dramatic increase in medals. I just didn't think that shifting their workouts away from high intensity interval training to focus on Zone 2 aerobics would be such a difference maker. I guess we could measure the Dutch team's heart ventricle capacities, but I don't know if the IOC does that kind of testing.
    I never made the claim that these reasons explain the sudden rise in medal count. I only stated what I knew about the US and Dutch speed skating programs leading up to the Sochi Olympics. I know nothing about the other countries' training. I know 1/10 of one percent of the situation... if even that. I can only offer one small piece of the puzzle. I make no claim to be privy to any information other than that that is publicly available to anyone who looks for it. I happen to be a fanatic about speed skating.

I simply find it too easy of an answer to jump to the PED conclusion in the absence of a million other contributing factors. And it can be insulting to the astonishingly painful training that speed skaters do for hours every day. I can honestly claim that speed skating is one of the most difficult sports to train for. The technique alone is maddeningly difficult to master, on the level with golf in terms of the tiniest deviance from perfect technique shaves tenths of seconds off a skaters time; the equivalence of the loss of 10 - 15 places in standings.

I simply find it too easy of an answer to jump to the PED conclusion in the absence of a million other contributing factors. And it can be insulting to the astonishingly painful training that speed skaters do for hours every day. I can honestly claim that speed skating is one of the most difficult sports to train for.
    If you read my prior posts, I never said anything about PEDs, never made any accusations against anyone. All I said several times was that the increase was interesting and I didn't know what the factors were. I don't doubt anything you said. I grew up in Minn and skated a ton in my youth, played hockey but did not speed skate. But you're reading far more into my lighthearted comments than is there.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Any sport that originates in Scotland is going to involve drinking.
    The Scots have introduced the world to a lot of sports: Golf, curling, rugby 7s, hammer throw, high jump (!), shot put, water polo...

(You're welcome )

NBC has many channels that will all be showing Olympic coverage.
    Weird that THE OLYMPIC CHANNEL is ... not showing the Olympics right now!

Thanks. Prog rock is my side interest. Training science is my fascination.
    Interesting. I've done a few moderately intense training programs, and am part-way through a winter program right now.
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 02-08-2018 at 10:00 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Well said! I have always felt that the NBC coverage is only about US athletes. here in Canada, yes we cover our athletes of course, but it's about the entire Olympics as a world event. Our coverage has to be amongst the best in the world. We have 3 networks dividing the spoils.
    They (NBC) were just showing Canada/China and Korea/Norway curling on NBCSN. NBC itself seems to focus on the sports where the participants go to a crying and hugging bench at the end to find out their results.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    They (NBC) were just showing Canada/China and Korea/Norway curling on NBCSN. NBC itself seems to focus on the sports where the participants go to a crying and hugging bench at the end to find out their results.
    NBCSN was showing the same curling matches.

Now, it's men's downhill. I love watching this!
    Regards,

Duncan

Slalom always reminds me of that Flintstone's episode with the jewel thieves at the ski resort.

Curling is nice but give me the luge events already!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    The Scots have introduced the world to a lot of sports: Golf, curling, rugby 7s, hammer throw, high jump (!), shot put, water polo...
    Don't forget the Caber Toss!

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    If you read my prior posts, I never said anything about PEDs, never made any accusations against anyone.
    But, your relentless suspicion seemed like you were insinuating it.

Love the Winter Olympics! Well...except for the figure skating and all it's sickening, snobby drama. Christ I watched a little of that last night and whoever the two announcers were were a couple of dick bags! "That was Abysmal" "what a disaster" "disgrace" were just a handful of ways these two would describe failed moves or performances. Fuck that noise Anyway, Give me events where you win by better score or faster speeds....not by judgement.

I'm mostly looking forward to hockey and skiing events. Go USA!

Oh and yeah they go way overboard with the feel-good stories and stuff, but it's better than a lot of the negative crap out there now so it doesn't bug me too much.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak