Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: PROGSTOCK 2018 Rahway, NJ's Union County PAC October 5-7 2018

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Nah, ProgDay every time.
    Sort of apple and oranges, innit?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Nah, ProgDay every time.
    Progday has a ton of bands that are completely unfamiliar, as in -never even heard of. Not a fan of what I've sampled from Alex Redfearn, and Progstock has IQ and Eddie Jobson playing UK. Not really that close this year. If I was to listen to samples of all the bands at Progday, it could tighten up, but then there's also the 100 sights of Rahway.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    It is indeed & in this case I like oranges
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Progday has a ton of bands that are completely unfamiliar, as in -never even heard of. Not a fan of what I've sampled from Alex Redfearn, and Progstock has IQ and Eddie Jobson playing UK. Not really that close this year. If I was to listen to samples of all the bands at Progday, it could tighten up, but then there's also the 100 sights of Rahway.
    ProgDay is a different cat, I'm a huge Alex Redfearn fan (if you don't like Sister Death they aren't for you) but don't know any of the other bands at all but I'll spend a weekend sitting in the sun drinking beer and chatting with a whole bunch of friends who are regulars there. The music is a nice side benefit but I'd go whoever is playing and I trust Michael's tastes. ProgStock is much more a traditional prog festival in the vein of ROSfest & Nearfest. It looks a good line-up but there's a lot there not really to my personal tastes, I'd go for Accordo Dei Contrari & possibly IQ but that's it for me. So easy decision for me but its based on my very personal approach. I hope Progstock is a great success, there's certainly room for that festival in the area now that ROSfest has moved south.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

ProgDay is a different cat, I'm a huge Alex Redfearn fan (if you don't like Sister Death they aren't for you) but don't know any of the other bands at all but I'll spend a weekend sitting in the sun drinking beer and chatting with a whole bunch of friends who are regulars there. The music is a nice side benefit but I'd go whoever is playing and I trust Michael's tastes. ProgStock is much more a traditional prog festival in the vein of ROSfest & Nearfest. It looks a good line-up but there's a lot there not really to my personal tastes, I'd go for Accordo Dei Contrari & possibly IQ but that's it for me. So easy decision for me but its based on my very personal approach. I hope Progstock is a great success, there's certainly room for that festival in the area now that ROSfest has moved south.
    Tbh, it's a little closer to ROSFest than NEARFest for my tastes, and I'm sure that there will be opportunities to take a break if I so choose, (I usually don't do that) but the 2 I mentioned (plus AdC) may be enough for me to make the drive.

The samples of Redfearn that I listened to were piano based Jazz, iirc, so definitely not for me on both counts.

Tbh, it's a little closer to ROSFest than NEARFest for my tastes, and I'm sure that there will be opportunities to take a break if I so choose, (I usually don't do that) but the 2 I mentioned (plus AdC) may be enough for me to make the drive.

The samples of Redfearn that I listened to were piano based Jazz, iirc, so definitely not for me on both counts.
    Ok, no idea which Redfearn that is, check out this

https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.co...m/sister-death
    Ian

Whatever it is that you heard, it wasn't Alec K Redfearn and The Eyesores....

'Jazz' is not even close to what they do.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I like apples and oranges (though i'm not sure which fest is which).
    I did progday last year for the first time and i'm looking forward to this year's with great anticipation (but not for the 11 hour drive). As other have mentioned, the band list is mostly unknown to me. I've seen Perdomo perform with Kerzner a couple of times, and I saw Lozaga 35+ years ago with Gong. And I like what I've heard of pretty much all the other bands i've sampled.

And this year will be my first progstock, and i have high hopes for that too. A much more "known" quantity: Jobson (UK), Kerzner's new band, IQ, mystery, enchant...I have a pretty good idea what to expect.

So, for me, they scratch two different musical itches (with minor overlap) and I'm lucky that (this year, at least) I can manage both.

Looking forward to seeing some of people here that i've met in the past...at both fests. the clock is ticking

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Whatever it is that you heard, it wasn't Alec K Redfearn and The Eyesores....

'Jazz' is not even close to what they do.
    I may have confused him with Nik Bartsch. Thanks for the link, Ian, I'll check it out tonight.

Anything firm on who’ll be with In Continuum? I’m hearing Dave Kerzner keys, Marco Minnemann drums, Matt Dorsey bass, Gabriel Agudo vocals and either Randy McStine or John Wesley guitar.

Michael Sadler backed by Enchant and Jimmy Keegan could be good. Hope they have enough time to practice his material. And some of Jimmys maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Michael Sadler backed by Enchant and Jimmy Keegan could be good. Hope they have enough time to practice his material. And some of Jimmys maybe.
    Also Rachel Flowers will be performing with him.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I think Rachel and Michael are 3 songs as a duo. Wasn’t clear to me if it’s during his set or her late night set. Michael also said he’d be doing a Saga song with Tom Brislin and Friends. And possibly something with Evership as well.

I'm glad that ProgStock will happen because I can't afford Cruise to the Edge. Yeah, they are different in many ways but for a very reasonable price for tickets, travel expenses and any merch stuff, ProgStock is a far better deal. At least for me, IQ and Eddie Jobson plays UK are worth the ticket price alone, everything else is a bonus and quite an amazing one having Enchant, In Continuum, Mystery, Tom Brislin and Michael Sadler.
    On the Cruise side, you have much more but the expense is far higher for Yes, Steve Hackett, Sea Within debut, John Lodge, Focus, Riverside, Fish, Jordan Rudess, Adrian Belew, PFM, Pendragon, Hakken, Frost and performing at both Festivals: In Continuum, Rachel Flowers, Fernando Perdomo and Enchant. Quite a difference but it is always great to get one of the two!

I'm stoked, can't wait for this fest. Still surprised that ticket sales aren't going more quickly, but I've got my nice center seats. Will be my first multi day fest since the final NF.

When are single day tickets available? I live locally and will drive up to Rahway from exit 4 NJTP.
    Thanks

I may have confused him with Nik Bartsch. Thanks for the link, Ian, I'll check it out tonight.
    Yeah, this isn't at all what I was thinking of. Thanks for the link Ian, this one's a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by marltonfan View Post
    When are single day tickets available? I live locally and will drive up to Rahway from exit 4 NJTP.
    Thanks
    Did you click on the ticket link previously posted? It says the 3 day passes are available until Sept 11, so I'm making an educated guess that single day would go on sale after the 3 day pass ends.

Anyone who went last year know what prog CD vendors were there, or who may be there this year? I'm assuming there's a vendor room of some kind.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-09-2018 at 04:23 PM.

I've been considering this or Progday, and I think this is gonna win.
    If you are lucky enough to live within driving distance to both Festivals, I would go to both but if it has to be a single choice, I would go for ProgStock hands down.

Yep. Sept 11 single day tickets go on sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I'm stoked, can't wait for this fest. Still surprised that ticket sales aren't going more quickly, but I've got my nice center seats. Will be my first multi day fest since the final NF.
    You got the seat I wanted so I'm not going.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I see the Sunday schedule was changed to add a Masterclass and Q&A with Eddie Jobson. What exactly is a masterclass -- a lecture, an interview, is there any music performed?

Here's the updated ProgStock schedule for Sunday, October 7th, 2018:
    11:00am-12:30pm – IZZ
    12:30pm-1:30pm – break and meet & greet with IZZ (location TBA)
    1:30pm-2:45pm – Evership
    2:45pm-4:00pm – break and meet & greet with Evership (location TBA)
    4:00pm-5:15pm – Masterclass and Q&A with Eddie Jobson
    5:15pm-5:30pm – break
    5:30pm-7:30pm – mystery
    7:30pm-9:00pm – break and meet & greet with Mystery (location TBA)
    9:00pm-11:00pm – Jobson Plays UK
    11:00pm – meet & greet with Jobson Plays UK (in UCPAC Mainstage lobby)
    Last edited by Wah3; 08-25-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Lecture and Q+A.

I see the Sunday schedule was changed to add a Masterclass and Q&A with Eddie Jobson. What exactly is a masterclass -- a lecture, an interview, is there any music performed?

4:00pm-5:15pm – Masterclass and Q&A with Eddie Jobson Fan Community
    The website doesn't mention the "Fan Community" part. Is this open to all purchasers of progstock tickets? Or is only for Jobson's zealots members?

Here's the updated ProgStock schedule for Sunday, October 7th, 2018:
    11:00am-12:30pm – IZZ
    12:30pm-1:30pm – break and meet & greet with IZZ (location TBA)
    1:30pm-2:45pm – Evership
    2:45pm-4:00pm – break and meet & greet with Evership (location TBA)
    4:00pm-5:15pm – Masterclass and Q&A with Eddie Jobson Fan Community
    5:15pm-5:30pm – break
    5:30pm-7:30pm – mystery
    7:30pm-9:00pm – break and meet & greet with Mystery (location TBA)
    9:00pm-11:00pm – Jobson Plays UK
    11:00pm – meet & greet with Jobson Plays UK (in UCPAC Mainstage lobby)
    Did they lose one band or push everything later on Sunday? I sure hope this master class thing isn't exclusive to fan club only.