Thread: Zappa - The Roxy Performances

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Zappa - The Roxy Performances

Sorry, didn't realize this was mentioned here:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...728#post773728
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-26-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Been around for a bit - gonna be the shit!

Spinning the LP....just wow. Top 5 Zappa for me. Growing up only knowing the CD, this is a total different ballgame. I scored a mint US Discreet original a few months ago.

'Roxy by Proxy' is also highly recommended! - only 1 CD.
    The Inca Roads version is quite different from other versions I have heard, slower and very 'jazzy'. The rest is stellar too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roxy_by_Proxy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    'Roxy by Proxy' is also highly recommended! - only 1 CD.
    The Inca Roads version is quite different from other versions I have heard, slower and very 'jazzy'. The rest is stellar too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roxy_by_Proxy
    Also recommended is Roxy: the Movie which took 42 years to see the full light of day. According to Dweezil, they had to wait for digital technologies to allow them to properly sync the audio and video and by that time, the 16mm film was damaged from age and they had to use all kinds of inventive ways to restore it including, literally, cooking it.

^ Yes, I own both Proxy and the BluRay...love both. What was really amazing about the LP was the imaging. I could really hear where every musician was, especially both drummers and Ruth's percussion. Really wide imaging and some depth in the soundstage as well. I don't recall getting this amount of detail on the old Barking Pumpkin cd. This is why vinyl can be very special for me.

Roxy By Proxy is a comp of mixes FZ did in the 80's for the YCDTOSA series, so it has some bad 80's mix ideas in it (the two drummers are meshed together and Ruth's percussion track is constantly panning over the stereo stage) but it is interesting in that FZ selected the performances. The CD also has liner notes by Ruth that are more than worth the price of the disc.

The Roxy Performances is of course great. The one possible issue is that FZ had a subdued guitar sound I think due to the small room that he enhanced in various ways for the old releases, while the new mix presents his guitar and everything else in a straightforward way, so at times the guitar is less powerful in the mix than on the old albums.