Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rest in peace, Mark E. Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I guess everyone who has seen him on stage has his own crazy stories to say. The last time it was 4 tunes and passing out backstage. But the one before that we were just blown away from the venue.
    I remember someone telling me that he went to see The Fall once, only to be told at the venue that Smith had broken up the most recent iteration of the band up mid-tour, and as such, the rest of the tour had been cancelled.

Yes, the 1st album had just come out. Really good performance that night.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    RIP, I've known the name for a long time but never explored properly. I like quite a bit of the post punk bands scene. Where to explore for an avant head in this vast discography?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    RIP, I've known the name for a long time but never explored properly. I like quite a bit of the post punk bands scene. Where to explore for an avant head in this vast discography?
    The real reason you moved here is that you had your Brit citizenship revoked because you don't know The Fall!

I especially like the stuff with Brix:

This Nation's Saving Grace
    Bend Sinister

The Rough Trade compilation "Totally Wired" is really good too.

I'm hardly an expert, but - sure - start with This Nation's Saving Grace. If you don't like that at all, I can't imagine you'll like them.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

A great compilation of the early stuff is this:
    https://www.amazon.de/Palace-Swords-...f=pd_ecc_rvi_1

Hex Enduction Hour is often regarded as one of their best. It’s bleak and spiky, but worth the effort. One of my most listened-to Fall albums, however, is Fall in a Hole, a live 2-CD set capturing the band during its first peak in all of its shambolic and charged glory.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I don't know "Fall In A Hole", but yes. Hex Endution is also really great.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They were great with Brixie, but for NogbadTheBad it might be too poppy? Dunno.

I don't know "Fall In A Hole"
    It has a 7+ minute version of "Fantastic Life" that just clobbers all opposition to pulp with its relentlessness. Must be heard loud! (I never got to see The Fall, so Fall in a Hole is the next best thing...)

The real reason you moved here is that you had your Brit citizenship revoked because you don't know The Fall!

This Nation's Saving Grace
    Bend Sinister

The Rough Trade compilation "Totally Wired" is really good too.

I'm hardly an expert, but - sure - start with This Nation's Saving Grace. If you don't like that at all, I can't imagine you'll like them.
    Was listening to "This Nations Saving Grace" yesterday and it sounded great in a Joy Division sort of vibe.

Apparently it's a growing list of British artists you have to listen to to be British

The Fall
    Nick Drake
    John Martyn
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    They were great with Brixie, but for NogbadTheBad it might be too poppy? Dunno.
    It ain't THAT poppy; I think she adds something very strong to them. I know they talk about her 'pop' influences, but, damn. They aren't a pop band, even with Brix. They just have a bit of a feminine side added to the bluster and bother. I think....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Was listening to "This Nations Saving Grace" yesterday and it sounded great in a Joy Division sort of vibe.
    Groovy!

Apparently it's a growing list of British artists you have to listen to to be British

The Fall
    Nick Drake
    John Martyn
    You're missing Robert Wyatt, but, yep!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

p.s.

probably, sadly, fuckin' Morrisey too.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

p.s.

No, just NO
    Ian

playing "Fall In A Hole" right now.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

No, just NO
    and that's why we're pals!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

My introduction was Hex Enductuon and it worked great. From what I gather from your posted preferences, there is a high chance this hits you well.

p.s.

I feel relieved that others share my genuine, unchanged contempt for Morrisey. Although the Smiths, musically speaking, have some really good tunes.

p.s.

Nope, fuck that guy. I'm happy to say that, save for an ever-dwindling band of deluded zealots and Penguin Classics editors, Morrissey is now widely recognised by sentient lifeforms in the UK as what he has been for at least twenty years, i.e. an unpleasant racist prick with a severe case of egomania and nothing left to say of any conceivable interest.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

As for MES, words are almost always spilled in vain when it comes to writing about The Fall and its architect. A genius who was entirely uncompromising in life and art. We shall not see his like again.

And I wish I'd been to see them live more often now.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake root View Post
    I knew I wanted to write, but a simple three paragraph obit just wasn't going to work. I chose instead to try and help those who've never taken the plunge into The Fall's bewildering catalogue to do so via a few pointers.

http://www.realgonerocks.com/2018/01...ential-albums/
    You mention The Complete Peel Sessions boxset and for good reason as they almost always stepped it up a notch or three during those sessions. Sucks that the box is out of print. It was up as mp3 download on amazon, but it disappeared again.

Anyway, here’s prime Brix-era Fall cabbing it uptown, uptown from one of the Peel sessions. Dig Steve Hanley's bass.

Basically, all the Fall albums with Steve Hanley.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    As for MES, words are almost always spilled in vain when it comes to writing about The Fall and its architect. A genius who was entirely uncompromising in life and art. We shall not see his like again.

And I wish I'd been to see them live more often now.
    I've been listening all day yesterday, and today, and yes, who would deserve to be called a genius if not MES? Apart from the overwhelming energy of the music, there is a very clear strategic vision of how a Fall album should sound, plus brilliant songwriting (which in the end it's all that matters).

And where are this kind of uncompromising, non-belonging, ultra-weird and unapproachable personalities in the music of today? I hate to sound nostalgic but it's a valid question.

I have seen the Fall live during the Hex Enduction Hour tour. For the first time I witnessed a singer having recorded its vocals through a dictaphone and playing it back on the microphone, standing in apathy while the band ripped the stage apart... Brilliant idea!

The Fall had a unique englishness in their approach which I think is sourced from bands like Kinks or the Move. A very, very important band of an era most progressive rock fans think that produced shitty music.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I have seen the Fall live during the Hex Enduction Hour tour. For the first time I witnessed a singer having recorded its vocals through a dictaphone and playing it back on the microphone, standing in apathy while the band ripped the stage apart... Brilliant idea!

The Fall had a unique englishness in their approach which I think is sourced from bands like Kinks or the Move. A very, very important band of an era most progressive rock fans think that produced shitty music.
    It's funny the "englishness" trait, cause you can't find a more english figure than MES. But the music's sources can be very well traced in the US: the Velvets, Captain Beefheart, West Coast Psych, Garage, even Bob Dylan I would say. It's what singles them out from other big names of the 80's new wave imo.

And their sound was mostly appropriated by the indie US bands of the 90's. I am listening to Bend Sinister right now, and we're talking about a major influence on bands like Pavement etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    It's funny the "englishness" trait, cause you can't find a more english figure than MES. But the music's sources can be very well traced in the US: the Velvets, Captain Beefheart, West Coast Psych, Garage, even Bob Dylan I would say. It's what singles them out from other big names of the 80's new wave imo.
    Plus some early rock'n'roll like Link Wray. And of course Can and maybe a few other Krautrock bands.

I'm sure there's an anecdote somewhere about MES playing a Dylan album to some new Fall inductees and then telling them: "That's what not to do." Would be interesting to know which Dylan album!

Bandcamp Profile