Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Yet more prog on Sirius XM Deep Tracks

Yesterday morning, at around 7:10, they played Close to the Edge on Deep Tracks.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Sat radio sounds like shit, due to data compression. Try IPod Touch and Slacker Radio, Prog Channel. An iPhone will get you Internet radio, morrow .....
    I just got Slacker Radio, because it was free on my phone. Great device.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I just got Slacker Radio, because it was free on my phone. Great device.
    Last night I plugged my IPhone up to my Pioneer receiver and my main system. I have my own tuned version of the Folk rock channel. I added many of the progressive folk acts. The interface from the IPhone is digital to the receiver. Wow the sound quality was phenomenal. There are channels including 2 prog channels that Slacker Radio provides which programmed by users. I'll research and get back with the names.

I know this thread is virtually dead, but I just had to post this...

A week or two ago (yeah, it took me that long to find this thread) I tuned to Deep Tracks and the song that was playing was kind of mixture of psych and jazz-rock, with a nice sax solo at the end. A bit more sophisticated than, say, Chicago, but not as much as Weather Report or Mahavishnu. I'm thinking, "this is pretty good. Who is this?" I press the button on the radio to find out the name of the song and then the band. Unfortunately, I forget the song, but the band: Loggins and Messina.

What the what?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Loggins and Messina actually had some pretty proggy sounding stuff. It could have been "angry eyes" that you heard but that's just a guess.

Yep, that's it. Recognized the title immediately.

Funny thing, tho, listening to it now, I don't like it as much as I remember liking it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    A few days ago they played: David Gilmour - "Short & Sweet"

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Last night I plugged my IPhone up to my Pioneer receiver and my main system. I have my own tuned version of the Folk rock channel. I added many of the progressive folk acts. The interface from the IPhone is digital to the receiver. Wow the sound quality was phenomenal. There are channels including 2 prog channels that Slacker Radio provides which programmed by users. I'll research and get back with the names.
    Cool! Do you use wi-fi for that, or just the phone's connection? I have an an Android phone, and I've never had good results using the wi-fi - much more reliable with wi-fi turned off. But I'm going to finally go over to the dark side and upgrade to an iPhone 5 next week, and I'm wondering if the connection over wi-fi is more reliable. My droid is the first Samsung Galaxy S phone (Captivate) and it was cool for about 6 months then it started to Samsuck as Google and Samsung proceeded to abandon it. I didn't have time to deal with their bullsh*t OS upgrade procedure more than once. But this is for another thread...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    A few days ago they played: David Gilmour - "Short & Sweet"
    Next to There's No Way Out Of Here, my fave song from David's first solo album.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Yep, that's it. Recognized the title immediately.

Funny thing, tho, listening to it now, I don't like it as much as I remember liking it.

Also, that's a flute solo towards the end and not a sax solo.

I heard KC's "Heartbeat"...on the 1st Wave channel.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Also, that's a flute solo towards the end and not a sax solo.
    Yes, I know. I was going from memory. Also, I don't think I got to finish hearing the song.

Not prog (or is it?! ), but of interest - a special David Bowie channel:

Hear the complete works of innovative music pioneer David Bowie on his very own channel, exclusively on SiriusXM! This very special limited-run channel will feature music from David Bowie's entire career, from his earliest recordings through 2013's The Next Day. The channel will also exclusively premiere the five unheard songs from Bowie's The Next Day Extra before its release on November 5. Hear rare tracks and demo versions of some of Bowie's greatest songs, as well as artists including Beck, Annie Lennox, Nirvana and more interpreting Bowie's music.

The David Bowie Channel will launch on Wednesday, October 30 at Noon ET and will run through Tuesday, November 12, via satellite on channel 111. The David Bowie Channel will also be available as a 24/7 channel online and through the SiriusXM Internet Radio App for smartphones and mobile devices for an extended period.

For more information on David Bowie and The Next Day Extra, please visit www.davidbowie.com.