Page 91 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2384

Thread: MLB 2018

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I do agree though Cora probably wishes he'd taken Rodriguez out before he pitched to Puig.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I though Cora's managing of his pitching staff in Game 4 would have caught up to him in Game 5. Little did I realize that Roberts' questionable effort would mitigate that.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

You guys are funny.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    You guys are funny.
    Thank you.

There's a reason that the first 4 letters of analytics are what they are.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Sox have put on one of the best displays of 2 out hitting this entire series. Its been impressive!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    That's why "the book", ie the Brian Kenny Advanced Metrics Starters Are Bad Use Your Bullpen No Matter What is insipidly stupid and has replaced Common Sense and trust what you see experience. Hill was pitching what , a 1 or 2 hit shutout? He's pitching great, he's in a groove, and it's stupid to take him out until you see real evidence he's faltering. This pitch count crap has gotten out of hand. Managers are outthinking themselves in some goofy effort to prove they are smarter than the next guy. That move probably cost LA the Series. Sometimes you just have to trust your eyes and experience instead of the "Book", which may have been written by some nerds who are holed up in some interior windowless cubby hole looking at numbers all day and have never actually played the game.
    Bolded for emphasis.

So many factors come into play, it's not easy to pin it down to a single one. One could argue that the two biggest factors in how this WS finally turns out were the two errors in Game 3 that extended the game and hosed the pitching staffs.
    Last edited by ronmac; 10-28-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So many factors come into play, it's not easy to pin it down to a single one. One could argue that the two biggest factors in how this WS finally turns out were the two errors in Game 4 that extended the game and hosed the pitching staffs.
    Game 3 you meant to say (since you mentioned it earlier as well), and I agree with you.

Game 3 you meant to say (since you mentioned it earlier as well), and I agree with you.
    Corrected.

WOOOO!

Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 10-28-2018 at 11:35 PM.

Fun series!! Wished it would have gone a game or two longer. Congrats to the Red Sox!

Pretty dominant last game, Price looked great throughout and the bats had enough to get the runs needed, JD looked a bit lost as an outfielder. Go Sox! Carpark was quieter than usual this morning
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

gag

Ian

Bad memories of 04 and 13 for me....

Kershaw postseason:

9-10 4.32 152 IP/73 ER

That's more ER than any single regular season he's had.

Even worse on the biggest stages:

LCS. 3-5 4.61
    WS. 1-2 5.42

8 postseason HR allowed in elimination games, most all time.

More than enough evidence that for whatever reason, he's not an elite level pitcher in the postseason clutch. He will never be in that Koufax/Gibson territory.
    For that reason, his postseason numbers knock him off 1st ballot HOF status for me. He's had 7 stellar regular seasons but from what I've seen, I don't think he'll reach those elite level numbers again.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-29-2018 at 12:13 PM.

I don't know how much that gap between great & truly elite in postseason baseball is wholly mental/psychological.

In some way or another, it has long been clear that David Price had a major mental block that severely affected his postseason pitching. And yet, probably at some point when he did that bullpen warmup session in the ALCS, that block disintegrated, or was overcome. From then onwards, he was more or less telling Cora every day that he was good to go - he was actively seeking to pitch, in whatever situation (possibly rather than encountering daemons whenever he was called on to pitch).

For what it's worth, I suspect a shift from focusing on himself & his own travails, to focusing on supporting his team mates - as in all that he did to support Eovaldi after Game 3 - may have been at the root of the transformation.

And then there's a guy like Kelly, an average to decent bullpen arm (or, at any rate, a guy with an electric arm, but someone who hasn't figured out how to translate that basic ability into becoming an overpowering *pitcher*), who has been transformed during this postseason into what looks uncannily like the best relief pitcher amongst all the playoff rosters.

One particularly pleasing takeaway from all of what transpired was the image of Machado, sunk to his knee, striking out to Sale for the final out.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I don't know how much that gap between great & truly elite in postseason baseball is wholly mental/psychological.

In some way or another, it has long been clear that David Price had a major mental block that severely affected his postseason pitching. And yet, probably at some point when he did that bullpen warmup session in the ALCS, that block disintegrated, or was overcome. From then onwards, he was more or less telling Cora every day that he was good to go - he was actively seeking to pitch, in whatever situation (possibly rather than encountering daemons whenever he was called on to pitch).

For what it's worth, I suspect a shift from focusing on himself & his own travails, to focusing on supporting his team mates - as in all that he did to support Eovaldi after Game 3 - may have been at the root of the transformation.

And then there's a guy like Kelly, an average to decent bullpen arm (or, at any rate, a guy with an electric arm, but someone who hasn't figured out how to translate that basic ability into becoming an overpowering *pitcher*), who has been transformed during this postseason into what looks uncannily like the best relief pitcher amongst all the playoff rosters.

One particularly pleasing takeaway from all of what transpired was the image of Machado, sunk to his knee, striking out to Sale for the final out.
    This.
    Ian

In Cora We Trust

To me, the best part of the series was Machado decreasing his value by exposing his assholiness on the national stage.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post

What a thrill it was to see John Henry exuberantly break out into a near-smirk when his team won.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    To me, the best part of the series was Machado decreasing his value by exposing his assholiness on the national stage.
    Indeed! I know it won't happen, because he has too much talent, but I would love it if no teams offered him a contract next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Indeed! I know it won't happen, because he has too much talent, but I would love it if no teams offered him a contract next year.
    I only hope that my favorite team doesn't offer him one. It would be nice to see him remain in the NL, too.

I would not be surprised if Machado stays with the Dodgers, however they'd have to do some maneuvering considering Corey Seager is their franchise shortstop.

Machado
    The Ndamukong Suh of baseball.