Page 72 of 96 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 2384

Thread: MLB 2018

^^ It's baseball. Anything can happen.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ It's baseball. Anything can happen.
    YUP! It already has (and that's just in the last 2 days). More unexpected weird s**t is inevitable in the next couple of weeks.

Not one, but two game 163s on the same day! Baseball nirvana.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I think it's silly that the division champions are decided by playing an extra game if 2 teams finish the season tied. What happened to simply using the head to head record against each other as the tiebreaker? These teams play each other in division play 19 times which is plenty of games to determine who was better head to head over the course of a season.

I seem to remember as recently as the early 2000s that is the way division champions were determined in case of a tie, as it happened at least once with the Cards and Astros tying the NL Central; don't know when that rule changed.
    In both the NL Central and West, these teams are already in the playoffs--it's just seeding that is being determined.
    In fact, these are the first "game 163s" ever played that were *not* elimination games. These are not win or go home.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-03-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Head-to-head playoff makes sense to me. The season record against each other is used to determine home field of the playoff, which seems fair. So, it's not like it isn't a factor.

Plus, it's extra revenue for the team and network, so I don't see anything changing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    YUP! It already has (and that's just in the last 2 days). More unexpected weird s**t is inevitable in the next couple of weeks.

Not one, but two game 163s on the same day! Baseball nirvana.
    How do they decide where to play the tie breaker games if both the divisions end up in ties?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    How do they decide where to play the tie breaker games if both the divisions end up in ties?
    They should have already had coin flips for every scenario.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    They should have already had coin flips for every scenario.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I take it you mean if the winners of the NL Central and NL West finish tied for best record? That's not an issue this year because the Central winner is 4 games better than the West winner.

If you mean how do they determine home field for the Div winner tiebreaker games, those are determined by head to head record during the course of the season. Cubs won season series over Brewers so that game is at Wrigley etc.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-30-2018 at 07:38 PM.

If you mean how do they determine home field for the Div winner tiebreaker games, those are determined by head to head record during the course of the season. Cubs won season series over Brewers so that game is at Wrigley etc
    This one. Thanks

I wonder what would happen if one team amasses a big lead early. Particularly if it's the Cubs - if they get up say 6-0 after the 3rd, do the Brewers just shut it down and save their best relievers for Tuesday?
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I wonder what would happen if one team amasses a big lead early. Particularly if it's the Cubs - if they get up say 6-0 after the 3rd, do the Brewers just shut it down and save their best relievers for Tuesday?
    I wouldn't. It's baseball. Anything can happen. Even though I consider game 2 to be the most important of any series. These guys should be able to pitch just about every game, considering the off days.

Well, since my team out dammit, pulling for my fellow Domer C Counsel to force the Small Bears to play the WC game.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Well, since my team out dammit, pulling for my fellow Domer C Counsel to force the Small Bears to play the WC game.

For all of us Yeastie Boy fans, today is quite a day, ASIDE FROM the significance of the game. Yelich, who has already won the NL batting title and the NL MVP (is there even still an argument anymore?), with a home run and 2 RBIs today, will be the first player in the NL since "Ducky" Medwick of the 1930s DocProggers to win a triple crown.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

For all of us Yeastie Boy fans, today is quite a day, ASIDE FROM the significance of the game. Yelich, who has already won the NL batting title and the NL MVP (is there even still an argument anymore?), with a home run and 2 RBIs today, will be the first player in the NL since "Ducky" Medwick of the 1930s DocProggers to win a triple crown.
    1. Amazing that Yelich has a shot at Triple Crown, when I don't think anyone even was talking about that possibility a week or 2 ago.

2. Amazing that no Nat Leaguer has won it since 1937. Cards players have won 3 of the 4 TCrowns in NL (Hornsby 2).

3. Btw, throw us some props for at least taking out the Cubs in one game over the weekend for making all this possible.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-01-2018 at 01:24 PM.

The Brewers vs Cubs game can be heard live here

Bummed that the Cubs didn't get it done today, but have to say that the Brewers earned every bit of it the way they played the last couple weeks. Maybe we'll meet again soon... ;-)

And even as a die-hard Cub fan I won't argue against Yelich for MVP. He's been outstanding.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Following up after 162. Here are the Fangraphs projections and actual win totals.

Team - Proj - Actual

Astros 100 103
    Yankees 95 100
    Indians 94 91
    Cubs 94 95
    Dodgers 93 91
    Red Sox 93 108
    Nationals 89 82
    Blue Jays 86 73
    Cards 85 88
    Angels 84 80
    Mets 82 77
    Twins 82 78
    Diamondbacks 81 82
    Giants 81 77
    Mariners 80 89
    Brewers -80 95
    Rockies -80 91
    A's -80 97
    Braves -80 90

Congrats to the Brewcrew on the division title.

Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post
    Following up after 162. Here are the Fangraphs projections and actual win totals.

Team - Proj - Actual

Mariners 80 89
    Brewers -80 95
    Rockies -80 91
    A's -80 97
    Braves -80 90

Congrats to the Brewcrew on the division title.
    Yes, congrats Brewers. Yelich also gets the MVP.

Notice how off their bottom 5 projections were, although they did hit most of the ones at the top pretty close.

Here's another swing and a miss by another "expert":

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift
    "I can definitely see the Brewers winning 85 games this year."

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift
    "I didn't say that to offer a sizzlin' hot take, but merely to provide my opinion on the Brewers season. Vegas has the Brewers at .500, so I'd say that 85 is a very optimistic number for the team. Its hard to envision them improving much over last year."[86 wins]

Last edited by DocProgger; 10-01-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Congrats to the Brewers!

Not the Dodgers, though.

How about those Orioles and their 115 losses?

Just got this off of Sportscenter. Only in baseball could this weirdness happen.

Khris Davis of the A's has batted exactly .247 the last four years. IIRC the Al average was .249 and the NL was .247 this year, so he's the norm.

As far as Khris Davis of the Orioles(seriously with the spelling?) he batted .168 and that's the worst season ever by someone with the allotted at-bats to qualify.

As SVP said sometimes the norm ain't so bad.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Facelift's predictions are understandable, though...a lot of players had career years on the 2017 Brewers, and somewhat predictably most of them (basically everyone but Shaw) regressed this year. Jimmy Nelson, a legit #1 starter, was out with an injury all year. The difference was the big offseason acquisitions and trades, plus Jesus Aguilar becoming a beast. And of course, a crazy September in which they became the hottest team in baseball, with Yelich suddenly turning into Barry Bonds.

lots of fatalism from Cubs fans yesterday but I suspect we'll see them again on Thursday.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Here's what some knucklehead who knows nothing about baseball said before the season started on 3/28/2018:

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    They've got the Brewers, Pirates and Reds all winning less than 80? In that case they should have the Cubs winning over 100. I think they are undervaluing the Brewers...
    Today and tomorrow could be fun days of bball. Go Rockies. And A's!
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-02-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Facelift's predictions are understandable, though...a lot of players had career years on the 2017 Brewers, and somewhat predictably most of them (basically everyone but Shaw) regressed this year. Jimmy Nelson, a legit #1 starter, was out with an injury all year. The difference was the big offseason acquisitions and trades, plus Jesus Aguilar becoming a beast. And of course, a crazy September in which they became the hottest team in baseball, with Yelich suddenly turning into Barry Bonds.
    That's why predicting baseball is a silly exercise.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    If people were good at predicting baseball then the bookies wouldn't be making out like bandits.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.