Page 68 of 96 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2384

Thread: MLB 2018

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    All of a sudden those pesky Yeastie Boys are just 1 game behind the Cubs in the NL Central & have a 2 1/2 game lead for the #1 wild card w/18 to play.

Oh, to be in a weaker division.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Is there anyone at all who can realistically complete with Hader for Fireman of the Year?

Interesting stat: this season Hader has had two occasions where he pitched a 9 pitch, 3 K inning, and a few more where it was 10,11 or 12 pitches.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    one potentially important storyline is that the Cubs have to play a ton of games in the last two weeks since they've had a lot of rainouts. nice that it comes in September w/ expanded rosters but you gotta wonder if that bullpen will hold up
    Yeah, the last couple weeks have been brutal, and the next don't give us a break either. The Cubs announcer said last night that, all things accounted for the Cubs are in a stretch of 40 scheduled games in 41 days (including rainouts, double-headers, and rescheduled contests). I'm afraid we're going to be limping into October, if we're even able to keep it together to get there.

But for today, we're still a game up
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The top 3 records in the NL may come out of the NL Central (as of now Cards tied w Braves re record), and so the 2 WCs might both be NL Central teams. And the NL as a whole is more competitive with less terrible tanking teams than the AL.

Really? More teams over .500 in the NL than the AL. All three divisions are up for grabs in the NL. No one has run away with the division like Cleveland (and Boston now) have.
    I agree that the elite in the AL is better than the NL, but like Doc said earlier, the NL is a much more competitive league on a day to day, game to game basis. Hardly what I would call weak.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Really? More teams over .500 in the NL than the AL. All three divisions are up for grabs in the NL. No one has run away with the division like Cleveland (and Boston now) have.
    I agree that the elite in the AL is better than the NL, but like Doc said earlier, the NL is a much more competitive league on a day to day, game to game basis. Hardly what I would call weak.
    Yes, it's more balanced and competitive. But, perhaps I wasn't clear and "weak" wasn't the right word. For the entire season up until about two weeks ago, the second-place team in the AL East had a better record than every other team in MLB. Houston changed that in recent days. That second-place team that would be leading every other division and some by a wide margin. So, the point was that the other divisions are easier to win and can be won by a team with a "weaker" record. And, before anyone over-reacts, I don't mean that in a deragatory sense. It's a statistical fact.

Of course, since it's MY TEAM that is that second-place team, it sucks even more.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yes, it's more balanced and competitive. But, perhaps I wasn't clear and "weak" wasn't the right word. For the entire season up until about two weeks ago, the second-place team in the AL East had a better record than every other team in MLB. Houston changed that in recent days. That second-place team that would be leading every other division and some by a wide margin. So, the point was that the other divisions are easier to win and can be won by a team with a "weaker" record. And, before anyone over-reacts, I don't mean that in a deragatory sense. It's a statistical fact.

Of course, since it's MY TEAM that is that second-place team, it sucks even more.
    That makes more sense.

You New Yorkers have a heavy cross to bear. At least you still have Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You New Yorkers have a heavy cross to bear. At least you still have Hamilton.
    I'm not a New Yorker.

I'm not a New Yorker.
    But I assume you were in younger days.

But I assume you were in younger days.
    Nope. I've lived in Pennsylvania my entire life.

Nope. I've lived in Pennsylvania my entire life.
    Hmm...OK. In the interest of comity/community, I'll say no more.

Hmm...OK. In the interest of comity/community, I'll say no more.
    FWIW, I grew up on the PA/NJ border about 60 miles north of Philly and 75 miles west of NYC. So, we used to get both the Philly and NY TV stations. And, I was lucky enough to attend many games at Yankee Stadium between '73 and '78, including the opening day at the refurbished stadium.

With the win today, Atlanta has assured themselves a winning season.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    They're hot! Tied with the A's for longest current win streak at five.

Brewers have now won 7 straight series and are only 1 back of the Cubbies now. This is...kind of the opposite of what I'm used to
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

The Phillies are doing their best to give Atlanta the division. Atlanta finally seems interested in taking it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The Phillies are doing their best to give Atlanta the division. Atlanta finally seems interested in taking it.
    Running into the hapless Giants didn’t hurt the Braves any.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Brewers have now won 7 straight series and are only 1 back of the Cubbies now. This is...kind of the opposite of what I'm used to
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Running into the hapless Giants didn’t hurt the Braves any.
    The Phillies ran into the hapless Marlins and Mets and lost ground.

They're just not ready for the big time, yet.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The Phillies ran into the hapless Marlins and Mets and lost ground.

They're just not ready for the big time, yet.
    Just saw a good segment on MLB with Jon Hart (former Braves GM) (and, no, I'm not watching TV at work; I've got the day off today because thar's a hurricane a-coming!). He was discussing Braves current GM Alex Anthopolous and the lack of moves he made during the last off-season and the limited moves he made at the trade deadline (though that Gausman deal looks massive right now!). He compared these deals to the Phils who acquired some big names but didn't get much. The Braves could've started trading prospects but instead held on to them. Now Anthopolous knows what he has in the minors, knows what he's willing to trade and knows he is likely sitting this off-season on a division championship.

In other words, the Braves broke through early, broke through the right way and don't look to be going anywhere for a while. Expect some big trades in the off-season for the Braves. I'd hate to see them move away from guys like 3B Carmargo or RF Markakis (whose contract I think is up?), but those are the two most likely fielding positions to upgrade.

The Phillies didn't really give anything up for their late-season additions, though. Their young players just aren't playing as expected, for various reasons. And as much as I want to give Gabe Kapler a chance, I really don't understand his lineups. He continues to play guys out of their natural positions, and consequently the Phillies are among the worst defensive teams in baseball.

They need some off-season changes, too. We'll see what they decide to do.

...and Pedro Strop is lost for the rest of the season, since Morrow is also out for the duration and Maddon felt like he had to leave Strop in to pitch the bottom of the 10th last night. He bats, hits a DP ball, and comes up lame on his way to first. Now we really don't have a closer. Oog.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    ...and Pedro Strop is lost for the rest of the season, since Morrow is also out for the duration and Maddon felt like he had to leave Strop in to pitch the bottom of the 10th last night. He bats, hits a DP ball, and comes up lame on his way to first. Now we really don't have a closer. Oog.
    Hmm, pitchers batting...

Silly NL.

Hmm, designated hitters...

Silly AL

I'm honestly and sincerely sad about Strop. It's always better to win without fodder for asterisks ("if Strop was healthy....etc.").