Page 62 of 96 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2384

Thread: MLB 2018

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Still trying to figure out what's wrong with extra innings. Free baseball!!
    When you've already been there 3 hours and napped through the last 2 innings?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    How about if the game is still tied after 1 or 2 extra innings you have HR derby? Similar to shootouts in hockey and soccer.
    I hate it in soccer, for the love of Christmas don't bring it to baseball.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

yea even though it kind of sucks to have to stay up and have your team burn through all their pitchers I do think that long extra inning games (like 13+) are inherently pretty interesting, lots of built up tension and strange managerial decisions.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Its kind of difficult for a player to completely readjust their swing like that. the problem with beating the shift is that it requires you to do things that you've been taught your whole life not to do. Plus it limits you to a single and I think a lot of players want to hit the ball hard, cuz singles just get you on base, while doubles and HRs allow you to score. I'm guessing that the next crop of stars may be quite good at it though.
    Players are trained to adjust to pitchers all throughout their careers. Pitchers completely change their game in the latter years after they lose velocity. These guys are being paid millions to perform. I think they can handle it.

Nobody is suggesting that a player needs to overhaul his swing. Just hit a few away from the shift and the defense will be more likely to move back to their regular positions. Just trying to hit through it plays right into their hands.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    When you've already been there 3 hours and napped through the last 2 innings?
    You're not required to stay and watch it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Its kind of difficult for a player to completely readjust their swing like that. the problem with beating the shift is that it requires you to do things that you've been taught your whole life not to do. Plus it limits you to a single and I think a lot of players want to hit the ball hard, cuz singles just get you on base, while doubles and HRs allow you to score. I'm guessing that the next crop of stars may be quite good at it though.
    Maybe this is the problem.

The best hitters can hit to all fields and adjust.

To me, this is just another evolution of the game. Hitters will be taught to spray the ball more. The better hitters will learn to hit to the opposite field with power, and pitchers will again adjust.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The beauty of baseball, since a week after Doubleday had his light bulb moment, is that unlike every other athletic endeavor whether team or individual that is either timed or measured, baseball isn't.
    I've been married for 37 years and must have been asked variations of the same question hundreds of times, "How much longer is that game on? What time does that game get over?", etc. Not as numerous as the complaints about the spitting, though.

The Phillies just got Justin Bour from the Marlins for cash and an insignificant minor league pitcher.

They apparently swooped in and stole him before the Yankees could get him.
    Last edited by Scott Bails; 08-10-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Yankees don't need another .225 hitter.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yankees don't need another .225 hitter.
    He'd be an improvement over Bird.

He'd be an improvement over Bird.
    Bird still needs some more time. He's very talented and has a swing made for that stadium. Most players don't come storming out of the gate. He showed what he can do last October. They have plenty of talent in that lineup which allows them to give others some more time. I've heard some claim that it takes about 1200 ABs for a player to define their careers. He's only about halfway there.

The Phillies just got Justin Bour from the Marlins for cash
    Keep rubbing it in Scott. ......

The Marlins are well on their way to being the best AAA team around, Vic!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

And so are the Dolphins......

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Keep rubbing it in Scott. ......
    The Marlins are well on their way to being the best AAA team around, Vic!
    Yeah, in all seriousness, I think it's disgraceful how the Marlins are run. So far, Jeter and his group are just like Loria.

Red Sox have now lost the same amount of games (35) that the O's have won!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Red Sox have now lost the same amount of games (35) that the O's have won!
    Down 8-3 in the third, win 19-12, remarkable.
    Ian

Yeah, in all seriousness, I think it's disgraceful how the Marlins are run. So far, Jeter and his group are just like Loria.
    That organization is so much in debt, I'm not sure there's much of a choice but to get rid of it and begin over. I don't think anyone suggested it would be a joy ride.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A real pitching clinic, that was.

I saw the final score, and thought it was the Patriots and Rats at first.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Flash!
    This just in from Flushing: Brandon T. Nimmo currently leads the Metropolitans Baseball Club batting average this year with a whopping 0.248.

Top that if you can!

My anti-depressant medication dosage was upped just before the All Star break.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

And with that Orioles loss, they are now officially eliminated from the AL East Division race already. It's the earliest a team has been eliminated from the division race since the divisional era began in 1969.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-11-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    And with that Orioles loss, they are now officially eliminated from the AL East Division race already. It's the earliest a team has been eliminated from the division race since the divisional era began in 1969.
    And the Orioles had quite the unexpected end to their season in that same 1969. Ah the fond memories, eh Doc!
    Last edited by progeezer; 08-12-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

And he Orioles had quite the unexpected end to their season in that same 1969. Ah the fond memories, eh Doc!
    I'm sure they were fond memories for you! I certainly didn't shed any tears for the Orioles because as a Twins fan back then as a kid who lived a few miles from Metropolitan Stadium, the O's eliminated my Twins in both the 69 and 70 ALCS playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    The team of umpires this year must have been one of the strongest umpire groupings on record, on a level with the '27 Yankees, to have dispatched Baltimore so fast this time! Usually it takes them well in to September to accomplish the deed.