Page 5 of 96 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018

^ Is he the son of Walking Underwear, or unrelated?

Banned
    Did you guys know that the greatest team sport ever devised by man, baseball will return for the 2020 games in Tokyo?

Will/should the U.S. team be a MLB all-start team (sans foreign nationals of course)?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Did you guys know that the greatest team sport ever devised by man, baseball will return for the 2020 games in Tokyo?
    I did not know that.

Will/should the U.S. team be a MLB all-start team (sans foreign nationals of course)?
    MLB players should absolutely be included. I had no interest in watching hockey in this last Olympics because the NHL wouldn't allow their players to play.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'd rather see amateurs play. I'm sure the teams would, too. They have a lot of money invested.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'd rather see amateurs play. I'm sure the teams would, too. They have a lot of money invested.
    I want to see the best from each country compete against each other.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Until the biggest star on your favorite team get injured.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Until the biggest star on your favorite team get injured.
    Injuries happen. There are a bunch of guys that are getting injured today at the NFL Combine. It sucks, but it's part of the deal.

Jacoby Ellsbury was scratched from Friday's Grapefruit League lineup against the Braves with tightness in his right side, the Yankees said.
    I'm only posting this to show that the Yankees' $22 million fifth outfielder and benchwarmer is getting in mid-season form.

This thread needs some life.

Did you guys see that Ichiro re-signed with the Mariners as their 44-year-old outfielder? Many don't know that he has one of the best outfield arms in the game.

Agree, if it is going to be an Olympic sport the pros should be included. Hockey in this year's Olympics were a joke. We are back to Russia with a roster of professional players and the U.S. / Canada using college kids and Minor league players (I still have not been able to figure out how they chose the team they ended up with). Have the best play the best.

I will be attending a spring training game next Thursday: Daimondbacks vs. Cubs

Did you guys see that Ichiro re-signed with the Mariners as their 44-year-old outfielder? Many don't know that he has one of the best outfield arms in the game.
    His career has been very neglected by the U.S. sports media. Combine his MLB career with his pre-MLB career, and it's staggering.

His career has been very neglected by the U.S. sports media. Combine his MLB career with his pre-MLB career, and it's staggering.
    He'll still be a first ballot unanimous HOF inductee, though.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    He should be, but we've already argued here about some the nonsense by the BBWAA.

It looks like the owners' conspiracy to drag their feet on free agent signings and lowball is having its desired effect. Moustakas of the Royals turned down a 17 million dollar qualifying offer to stay with KC last fall, but now he just signed a 1 year deal with KC for about 6 million. Royals save themselves 11 mil. And I think he has Boras as his agent.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Betcha he won't. I think he deserves it, but there are too many self-absorbed BB writers.

Absolutely not. The Olympics is for amateur athletes. Also, MLB is the greatest baseball league in the world. There is no reason to cheapen the collection of talent by allowing it to play for lesser events, like the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    It looks like the owners' conspiracy to drag their feet on free agent signings and lowball is having its desired effect. Moustakas of the Royals turned down a 17 million dollar qualifying offer to stay with KC last fall, but now he just signed a 1 year deal with KC for about 6 million. Royals save themselves 11 mil. And I think he has Boras as his agent.
    There has been no "owners conspiracy" of any type.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    There has been no "owners conspiracy" of any type.
    Lmao. Whatever you say commish.

I think it was more of an unspoken conspiracy.

"A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words." - Dr, Winston O'Boogie

Absolutely not. The Olympics is for amateur athletes.
    I agree with this.

There is no reason to cheapen the collection of talent by allowing it to play for lesser events, like the Olympics.
    This, I don't. I can't imagine that the Pittsburgh Pirates playing the Miami Marlins is a greater event that the Olympic Decathlon.

I don't think it's a conspiracy so much as so many teams have gotten burned by spending millions upon millions on multiyear contracts for superstars at their peak. They then find that the decline was just a year or two away and they were left with a stiff on the payroll until his late thirties. These giant Scott Boras engineered contracts just aren't going to happen with regularity any more.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I agree with this.

This, I don't. I can't imagine that the Pittsburgh Pirates playing the Miami Marlins is a greater event that the Olympic Decathlon.
    I never said it was.

I think it was more of an unspoken conspiracy.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I don't think it's a conspiracy so much as so many teams have gotten burned by spending millions upon millions on multiyear contracts for superstars at their peak. They then find that the decline was just a year or two away and they were left with a stiff on the payroll until his late thirties. These giant Scott Boras engineered contracts just aren't going to happen with regularity any more.
    Yep. Again, analytics aren't just for stats on the field. Front offices are learning that these contracts aren't efficient and don't improve their teams in the long run. Hopefully Boras' run as the "go-to" agent is coming to a close.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Agreed. Conspiracies without evidence is just a manifestation of paranoia imo. If anything, basesball has typically been monkey see, monkey do.

I also think that teams paying for arb years either up front or as they happen - and the costs of those years increasing in dollars quite a bit - has had a real impact in what clubs are willing to shell out for FA talent. Some of these arbitration players are earning $10m or more now.

I'd also submit that teams are trying harder to emulate the success of former basement dwellers like the Astros, Royals, and Pirates. The Braves and Padres are potentially setting themselves up for a nice run in the next 2-3 seasons. Rebuilds are more difficult to sell in larger markets however, so a team like the Dodgers has done both. They have spent a truckload of money, but also have one of the finer minors systems in the league. At some point, they are going shed a lot of salary and go the Yankees route.

Lastly, some teams are saving money for next season because of the unusual level of top talent that will be available for big bucks - Bryce, Machado, Donaldson, Kershaw (opt out), Blackmon, Kimbrell, Miller, Cutch and others.

That said, it will be interesting to see how this season's approach will put a wet blanket over the hopes of $300m contract for Bryce, Manny, or Kershaw.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.